I'm more bullish on football program than basketball at this point... | Syracusefan.com

I'm more bullish on football program than basketball at this point...

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I'm excited about Bazley & Carey next year, and hope that Brissett and Dolezaj stick around so we can actually have some sort of depth, but after watching the joke of a game that today was, I am more excited about the future of the football program than I am of the basketball program.

Pretty sad to say, but the football program beat a Top 5 team this year. I am hard-pressed to believe that could happen with the basketball team in 2017-18.

I'm excited about Bazley & Carey next year, and hope that Brissett and Dolezaj stick around so we can actually have some sort of depth, but after watching the joke of a game that today was, I am more excited about the future of the football program than I am of the basketball program.

Pretty sad to say, but the football program beat a Top 5 team this year. I am hard-pressed to believe that could happen with the basketball team in 2017-18.

I hear you, but Basketball beat 3 top ten teams just last year.

Bring in one or two studs and have a couple returning guys get better and all of a sudden your team is really good.(happened in 2003). We could be in the final four next year. We were just there 2 years ago.

I’m encouraged about where our football program is going while at the same time being discouraged because it’s pretty much impossible for a program like ours to break through in the current college football landscape.

At some point someone needs to hold JB accountable for the joke of an offense that he is consistently putting out there.

And the defensive rebounding atrocity - I don’t think anyone saw that coming but Jeesers something is seriously wrong there.

This is the kind of red flag that can’t be sugarcoated in any way. Looked like a bunch of kids that just walked in off the street.

Beat a top 5 team and finished 4-8. We would have to lose every game we have left to have a proportionate record. This is way over the top.

Come on. That's silly. The football program hasn't had a winning season in how long? Let alone have had a shot at a national title.

this is a laughably absurd take, we are 12-4 right now with a very young team and almost everyone coming back and seem to be back to recruiting on a high level, add in a top 10 class and a top 5 (prob) player coming in next year just makes me wonder how anyone can take anything u ever say again seriously with this take

this is a laughably absurd take, we are 12-4 right now with a very young team and almost everyone coming back and seem to be back to recruiting on a high level, add in a top 10 class and a top 5 (prob) player coming in next year just makes me wonder how anyone can take anything u ever say again seriously with this take

1) Football is tougher than basketball to win.

2) It takes more time to develop a program.

3) I’m allowed to be a little hyperbolic given the craptacular loss today.

4) The basketball program has been trending down ever since Ennis left, Final Four miracle run not withstanding.

1) Football is tougher than basketball to win.

2) It takes more time to develop a program.

3) I’m allowed to be a little hyperbolic given the craptacular loss today.

4) The basketball program has been trending down ever since Ennis left, Final Four miracle run not withstanding.

I mean I'm not sure what these points are supposed to accomplish but ill just address 3 and 4. I agree with u today that it was an absolutely horrendous loss. It was brutal to watch and prob one of the worse losses in the last 5 years imo. Ill also agree with you that since Ennis left the program has struggled especially after the stretch we had from 2010-2014. Sure we've had a few down years but in one of those years we went to a final 4 so as far as I'm concerned ill take that any day. Now our recruiting def seemed to be trending downwards until something happened that changed it dramatically, mike hopkins left and JB was extended. Since than he has brought in a under the radar good recruiting class, and one that is paying dividends this year and will also continue paying dividends for the next few years. We are a very young team and has transformed them into a competitive team that is basically in every game, and while being competitive our young players are gaining valuable experience in anticipation for what looks to be a monster year in 2018. We have a monster recruiting class coming in, a top 5 player coming in, a desperately needed PG who can do it all coming in and we have a much needed shooter. Add in the fact our entire team minus battle (most likely) will be coming back, hughes becoming eligible, everyone improving and becoming stronger and the future seems very promising. Your upset about how we loss today and so am i but that doesn't mean the program is in decline, quite the opposite i think, especially since this season is going better than expected.

At some point someone needs to hold JB accountable for the joke of an offense that he is consistently putting out there.
What does that mean? He's the head coach - he's accountable.

Do you mean at some point someone needs to fire him? Someone needs to sit him down and talk to him? Someone needs to write a hit piece on him? Someone needs to put starch in his tighty-whities?

Seriously - what does that mean?

What does that mean? He's the head coach - he's accountable.

Do you mean at some point someone needs to fire him? Someone needs to sit him down and talk to him? Someone needs to write a hit piece on him? Someone needs to put starch in his tighty-whities?

Seriously - what does that mean?
all of the above?

Would love the media to grow a pair as well instead of writing fluff pieces about stats that any dope could find in 30 seconds.

It would also be nice if the public stops drinking the JB koolaid and start recognizing that the buck stops with him instead of blaming everything else. At least everyone agrees that the high ball screen with chukwu is about as effective as the short side option.

The guy makes $2.5 mill and he’s making CYO 4th grade girls basketball halfcourt sets look more pleasant to watch.

all of the above?

Would love the media to grow a pair as well instead of writing fluff pieces about stats that any dope could find in 30 seconds.

It would also be nice if the public stops drinking the JB koolaid and start recognizing that the buck stops with him instead of blaming everything else. At least everyone agrees that the high ball screen with chukwu is about as effective as the short side option.

The guy makes $2.5 mill and he’s making CYO 4th grade girls basketball halfcourt sets look more pleasant to watch.
OK. Just wasn't sure what you were going for there.
upload_2018-1-7_8-43-32.gif

And the defensive rebounding atrocity - I don’t think anyone saw that coming but Jeesers something is seriously wrong there.

This is the kind of red flag that can’t be sugarcoated in any way. Looked like a bunch of kids that just walked in off the street.
After a 11_2 OOC, people were bullish on the team. 2 conference loses, "fire the coach". Get real folks. Evrbody knew this season would be a struggle, so don't b1tck when it turns out to be.

Give Dungey the rock

I agree. There’s definitely a “laughably absurd” take in here. Can you find it?

Last edited:
After today’s game, Think I found it.
Sounds like you were rooting for a certain outcome. Unfortunate. The poster simply stated he was more bullish on football. He didn’t say anything remotely outlandish. Instead of simply saying you disagree, you called the notion “laughably absurd” and couldn’t take someone like that seriously. Fast forward 11 months and it’s not a silly notion in the slightest. I was hoping for you to laugh at yourself or call yourself a knucklehead in retrospect. You went a different route. Oh well. Go Orange.

Last edited:
I have to say I agree with the OP... the football program is on the up and up. If we can hang on to Dino I feel a decade of good times coming. The basketball program is on the downside of the ramp no matter how you look at it because JB’s retirement is in sight in the next 4 seasons and we will have to go find a new coach. Additionally, this years team was supposed to be the one to finally get us off bubble but the early returns aren’t great. Also the football program is on the cutting edge of innovation with a high powered offense. The hoops program has an outdated offense and relies on grinding out games in the 50s and 60s.