I'm probably a bad American for saying this... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm probably a bad American for saying this...

So many of the events are contrived and appear to be nothing more than the billiards equivalent of trick shots, especially the skiing events. Using the same logic, the slam dunk contest should be an Olympic event.

what would spice up the Olympics is a hot Olympian thread. I'll go first

Anna Sidorova – Curling, Russia
a78075806ae54d09970ff8fb5b62473f.png

The curling puck just ruins the natural beauty of the shot.

I enjoy the Olympics, some events are better than others and some events shouldn't even be in it. One unusual aspect is, finishing second or third is often a worthy accomplishment and is celebrated as such.

At any rate, go Silje, go Norway!

silje2.jpg

Last edited:
…but I just think the Winter Olympics are kind of dull.

Every night I try and give them a shot because I feel like it's my patriotic duty (and because I think the snow and mountains look amazing in HD), but I always end up getting bored after about 20 minutes and gravitating towards whatever college basketball is on.

Like right now, it's either Florida/Tennessee or the Women's Ski Slopestyle. Sorry, ladies.
I'll check the medal count at the half of tonight's big game to see if the US is ahead of Russia.

In my opinion the Winter Olympics has been hurt by a few things. First, NBC should be broadcasting more events on their other networks. The guide usually shows 5 different events being shown during the main broadcast. When does each event start or end? Imagine if that happened with college basketball. Five games with the guide saying just college basketball. Second, what seems like monthly X-games being broadcasted has ruined the events that were unique to the Olympics. Third, is the politics that keep on being brought up by the reporters during the broadcast. I don't remember it being that bad when the Summer Olympics were in Beijing in 2008. It is about the games and the athletes not the politics.

Every night I try and give them a shot because I feel like it's my patriotic duty (and because I think the snow and mountains look amazing in HD), but I always end up getting bored after about 20 minutes and gravitating towards whatever college basketball is on.

Like right now, it's either Florida/Tennessee or the Women's Ski Slopestyle. Sorry, ladies.

Depends on the event. Love the hockey and the downhill/grand slalom/slalom skiiing. Like watching the bobsled and luge. Indifferent to the rest of the events.

I have two main issues. It's not live (for the most part) and the Cold War is over
That's had an affect on me as well. What really turned me off was when we decided that pro's could play. Somehow that ruined many of the competitions for me. The good ol' days were when US amateurs were competing against Soviet state-sponsored full-time athletes. Beating them was something!

I love the Olympics particularly the Winter games. Probably because I'd love to be able to do the things these athletes do. That said, of course any Cuse game takes precedence as it does over most things. I have found myself cheering for other country's athletes more this year though. The canadian freestyler whose brother has cerebral palsy was a great story and I wanted him to win. The Norwegian snowboarder is hot. The little 15 year old Russian skater was incredible. I didn't even think twice when I found my 16 year old son in the family room watching the pairs figure skating last night instead of the OSU - Michigan game. Sometimes I wished I still lived in the Northeast so my kids were more exposed to winter sports. We have a ski resort here and though the facility is nice the hill is about 1/4 of the size of the smallest run at Song or Labrador. They do have a great tubing facility there though. Some of the best times I had in high school were centered around skiing and I feel that my kids are missing out.

IMO, skating's the main turn off. I know this won't be popular with the female demographic, but sorry, the media have so saturated the winter games with compulsories, short, free, singles, pairs, team ... drama (whatever) curling looks exciting by comparison.

Last edited:
That sounds like you have a girlfriend and/or wife. I'm so sorry to hear that. Well, unless it's girlfriend and wife. It doesn't get better. Over at casa de tee, we have the little house on the prairie boxed set. All 800 disks. .

Let the good times roll!

In my opinion the Winter Olympics has been hurt by a few things. First, NBC should be broadcasting more events on their other networks. The guide usually shows 5 different events being shown during the main broadcast. When does each event start or end? Imagine if that happened with college basketball. Five games with the guide saying just college basketball. Second, what seems like monthly X-games being broadcasted has ruined the events that were unique to the Olympics. Third, is the politics that keep on being brought up by the reporters during the broadcast. I don't remember it being that bad when the Summer Olympics were in Beijing in 2008. It is about the games and the athletes not the politics.
Im confused, they are showing stuff on 5 different networks almost all day long and streaming every event as well. what is it you want them to show more of?

I have two main issues. It's not live (for the most part) and the Cold War is over.
It's all live... NBC app and website.

Speedskating nearly every day. Lots of Orange medals. What more could one want (other than the Brit that does the announcing)?

I think NBC does way too much on the human interest side. All the Bob Costas stuff (even though he has Scott Baio pinkeye) turns it into such a channel turning experience.

Some of the events just aren't that exciting.

But I have to say, I'm enjoying watching it with my 4 year old depending on the events. He gets into the downhill skiing, short track speed skating, a few of the other skiing freestyle things. Not to mention I passed down a time honored father and son tradition of laughing uncontrollably when a male figure skater falls down and crashes into the boards. Didn't help that it was American, but the fall trumps the country pride in that particular event.

I look forward to the hockey, but every Olympic hockey event becomes a bit of a letdown knowing that nothing like 1980 can ever happen again. It's still fun to watch, just not the same as pre-NHL.

USA all the way, but the Winter Olympics are the X-Games on steroids. I'll watch some hockey, but that's about it.

Does anyone know who the person on the right is? Initially I was like, what's up with that hair and said, wait, is that a dude?

image-4022505218.jpg

I enjoy watching the US compete at the Olympics but we seem to be really struggling so far. No medals in the mens half pipe, zero speed skating medals (Davis has been bad), Curling has zero wins and we look awful, and Vonn dropping out, Miller underperforming there hasnt been a lot to watch. Also for the person above what channels are NBC using to show different programs? So far I have only seen NBC and NBC sports, though I am working during the week so I guess they could be showing other stuff then.

tee1222 said:
Hmmm My wife says I have a listening problem. I tell her it's a filtering problem.

Haha my post was removed for bad language. Man, I didn't use one curse word :(

I must be a geek, because I watch a lot of the events. Even the Biathlon. Love the Alpine stuff, but I do skip the curling and Men's skating:)

I also click to the BB games.