I'm sick of Phil | Syracusefan.com

I'm sick of Phil

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I hate the pompous nature of his "Do they have 11 rings?" in questioning anyone who would see fit to question what the he-- his plan is for the Knicks. NOt one reporter could come back with "well Phil - Michael, Shaq and Kobe played a large role in all 11 of those, what is the plan to get that quality player here".

Jackson and Pat Riley's greatest skill - knowing when to get out from coaching and then protecting that legacy at all costs.

I hate the pompous nature of his "Do they have 11 rings?" in questioning anyone who would see fit to question what the he-- his plan is for the Knicks. NOt one reporter could come back with "well Phil - Michael, Shaq and Kobe played a large role in all 11 of those, what is the plan to get that quality player here".

Jackson and Pat Riley's greatest skill - knowing when to get out from coaching and then protecting that legacy at all costs.

Phil has basically mailed it in ever since he got there, I give him credit for Porzengis, but other than that he hasn't done a thing.

Phil has basically mailed it in ever since he got there, I give him credit for Porzengis, but other than that he hasn't done a thing.
That's a pretty big thing imo, and I guess he gets no time to add others?

Right now, it's hard to imagine the Phil era ending well for Phil, Melo, the Knicks or their fans.

I disagree a bit... The roster is much improved. They were essentially at .500 at the all star break and were a missed J away from beating the Spurs at San Antonio, a game I attended. That team was a extremely competitive team which probably would have made the playoffs. Then Melo got hurt, Afflalo turned into a pumpkin, the Zinger hit a wall and the bottom fell out. I'm still shocked at how the back off of the season played out. I do think Rambis is a terrible coach and I think the triangle is an outdated dinosaur which needs to go. But to say Phil didn't do anything is tough given the talent he has amassed and he cap room he could have. They need a real offense, a good point and a solid 2 guard, and they need to resign Williams.

He hasn't come up with anything, or really screwed up anything too badly. They sucked bad enough to get the 4th pick and didn't screw it up, and signed some cheap, mediocre veterans that made the team a little better. I thought they gave Chandler away fairly cheaply.

To be fair, it was a horrible situation to begin with. The triangle and Rambis stuff in 2016 just blows my mind though.

triangle and Rambis stink

Hes so stuck on the triangle, you have a great coach sitting out there in Thibadeux, and he won't hire him, because he isn't a triangle guy.

Did you watch his exit interview or just read quotes? The quotes read way different than they do when you listen to him say it.
http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/tea...63770681-160414philjackson-hd-720p.mov-445439

I dont think running the triangle is a make or break thing for the next coach. I think hes looking more for a coach that fits the system he envisions on running. Communication, consistency, a positive culture.

Did you watch his exit interview or just read quotes? The quotes read way different than they do when you listen to him say it.
http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/tea...63770681-160414philjackson-hd-720p.mov-445439

I dont think running the triangle is a make or break thing for the next coach. I think hes looking more for a coach that fits the system he envisions on running. Communication, consistency, a positive culture.

How about he looks for players first? I don't care who is coaching this team they're not going to succeed.

How about he looks for players first? I don't care who is coaching this team they're not going to succeed.

He wants everyone to know how good his system is, and if the player isn't a good fit for it, hes not bringing them in.

Calderon and Afflalo were not good moves. The frontcourt is more than okay with KP, Rolo, and Melo. If Phil can grab a PG that can play D and sharpshooting SG, the Knicks are looking good. I'm not happy with the Triangle idea and I don't like the philosophy of passing up better coaches just to get a coach who runs the Triangle, but it is what it is. Phil isn't going to backdown there; I just hope he brings in enough talent to make up for it.

I disagree a bit... The roster is much improved. They were essentially at .500 at the all star break and were a missed J away from beating the Spurs at San Antonio, a game I attended. That team was a extremely competitive team which probably would have made the playoffs. Then Melo got hurt, Afflalo turned into a pumpkin, the Zinger hit a wall and the bottom fell out. I'm still shocked at how the back off of the season played out. I do think Rambis is a terrible coach and I think the triangle is an outdated dinosaur which needs to go. But to say Phil didn't do anything is tough given the talent he has amassed and he cap room he could have. They need a real offense, a good point and a solid 2 guard, and they need to resign Williams.

They were 23-32 at the all-star break.

Yes, they were 22-22 at that point... with a schedule if I remember correctly was easier in the first half. They would have needed to go 23-15 to make the playoffs, which is really hard to fathom. Instead, they went 10-28 after that... and Carmelo only missed 6 games.

How can you be shocked the season turned the way it did. You won 17 games the year before. You expected to improve by 28 wins and make the playoffs? 15 wins is quite a bit.

Anyway thanks the for the first pick this year. You could have really used it to add to KP, who is no doubt an outstanding piece moving forward. Go Raps.

the triangle got Rambis fired at Minnesota

Well, that and his complete and utter ineptitude.

And a horrific owner and front office.
And players that didn't remotely work with that system.

He didnt want Porzingis. He is on record as saying he would have picked Okafor

Hes so stuck on the triangle, you have a great coach sitting out there in Thibadeux, and he won't hire him, because he isn't a triangle guy.
Thibs actually does use parts of the triangle...as do the Warriors and the Spurs. The triangle BS is way overstated. It's just a disciplined Motion offense. Thibideaux isn't seriously being considered because of his "my way or the highway" attitude. Rambis does suck, though.

Thibs actually does use parts of the triangle...as do the Warriors and the Spurs. The triangle BS is way overstated. It's just a disciplined Motion offense. Thibideaux isn't seriously being considered because of his "my way or the highway" attitude. Rambis does suck, though.

I agree that the "triangle is outdated" talk is silly. Several teams, as you note, incorporate it. The problem that I have with Phil, is that he's not adapting his schemes to fit his personnel. Kerr could have run the triangle exclusively in GS, but he looked around and said, "we'd be better running the spread pick and roll." And Pop has rebuilt his offense like 5 times to fit his players better. Porzingis is MADE for the pick and roll, both as a screener, and to hang around the 3 point arc and drag his rim protector out of the play, but that's not going to happen while Phil is running the show.

And going back up to Pat Riley, no can knock him as an exec. He's one of the best in league for sure.

I think Phil has done a great job. The Knicks the 17th highest payroll this year and Phil didn't overpay for any of the free agencies he signed last year.

The Triangle is very similar to the motion offense JB has run for years except any player can play the post position instead of the centers and PF's being the only players allowed to post in the traditional motion offense (think Spurs). The triangle does not produce a lot of 3s instead it focuses on post ups and mid-range jumpers which are not in vogue in today's 3 point happy league. But if the Knicks sign a couple of real guards with size and the ability to score from all 3 levels for example Evan Turner and Dion Waiters both will be available and both will fit well in the triangle offense then they be a playoff team. If they can get Jimmy Butler, Pau Gasol and Noel since everybody knows the Bulls are rebuilding then they will be able to compete with Cleveland to come out of the east.

I don't know enough to comment on the triangle offense. What I do know is that Phil Jackson is a bit of a jackass who is extremely full of himself - with those characteristics playing a key role in unwavering support of "his" offense.

bottom line - Phil hasn't had a lot to work with & even this year has no #1 due to others past indiscretions.

Phil apparantly hashit a home run with Porzingus. The one move he made that I hated was letting Schved go.

Phil's next best move was not panicking & trading a future#1 for guard help.

Phil also did pretty well with the Lopez signing.

Watch out for the under the radar Wroten signing - could be a steal if Tony's gets back to 100%.

All in all, I would give Phil a solid B+ so far.

This off-season may be tough due to lack of assets. Big thing is no Rambis - get a decent coach.

Other than that or getting lucky with fee agents it may take one more year and one more high draft pick to right the ship.

He didnt want Porzingis. He is on record as saying he would have picked Okafor
He didn't have an opportunity to draft Okafor. Picking the guy after your 'first choice' is off the board isn't the same as 'not wanting' Porzingis.

I'm also a bit 'bothered' by Phil insisting on the Triangle, but he's got a system that worked for him. Don't we have the same thing? A system that is adhered to with pathological steadfastness*, that has resulted in success at some points, but looks silly at others? HOFers get a lot of rope/license.

*trying for a Walton-esque bit of hyperbole.

He didn't have an opportunity to draft Okafor. Picking the guy after your 'first choice' is off the board isn't the same as 'not wanting' Porzingis.

I'm also a bit 'bothered' by Phil insisting on the Triangle, but he's got a system that worked for him. Don't we have the same thing? A system that is adhered to with pathological steadfastness*, that has resulted in success at some points, but looks silly at others? HOFers get a lot of rope/license.

*trying for a Walton-esque bit of hyperbole.
The difference here is that JB is a HoF coach. Phil is also a HoF coach, but he's yet to prove he's a HoF team president/GM.

The difference here is that JB is a HoF coach. Phil is also a HoF coach, but he's yet to prove he's a HoF team president/GM.

The discussion was about The Triangle. Both JB and Phil are "the deciders" when it comes to determining what schemes they're going to run.