im still bitter about 2010 and 2012 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

im still bitter about 2010 and 2012

Off the top of my head and surely missing some.

1. Keith Smart
2. Arinze’s knee
3. Citations on term papers
4. Taylor Coppenrath/TJ Sorrentine
4b. Morris Peterson/Mateen Cleaves
5. Officials not knowing a) the difference between a charge/block and b) what an over and back looks like on a sideline out of bounds play
6. Officials seeing a player calling a TO & granting it, knowing the team has none
7. Flying to Arizona to see stupid Alabama go off against us.
8. Three point plays from the knees that are disallowed
9. Bobby Cremins and his shenanigans
10. Buddy not playing with a team that would have allowed him to win more

Of course that Smart shot was a dagger and what we remember most. However, I also painfully recall prior to that, Greg Monroe only making one of two at the foul line, Triche missing the front end of a one and one, and then so did DC. Just a brutal sequence at the line down the stretch that set up the fateful ending. :(

Me too! But that Illinois team was also loaded - Anderson, Battle, Gill, Liberty were all great. We only had Thompson, Coleman, Owens, Douglas, Roe, Johnson.;);) My god, how did we lose with all of those guys?
We lost, but played well. Gill was a stud. Great game. Play them 9 more times and it’s probably 5- 5 or 6-4 at worst

Last edited:
Off the top of my head and surely missing some.

1. Keith Smart
2. Arinze’s knee
3. Citations on term papers
4. Taylor Coppenrath/TJ Sorrentine
4b. Morris Peterson/Mateen Cleaves
5. Officials not knowing a) the difference between a charge/block and b) what an over and back looks like on a sideline out of bounds play
6. Officials seeing a player calling a TO & granting it, knowing the team has none
7. Flying to Arizona to see stupid Alabama go off against us.
8. Three point plays from the knees that are disallowed
9. Bobby Cremins and his shenanigans
10. Buddy not playing with a team that would have allowed him to win more
The refs misinterpreting that over-and-back call by Scoop in the 2011 Marquette 2nd round game doesn't get nearly enough attention IMO.

We lost, but played well. Hill was a stud. Greta game. Play them 9 more times and it’s probably 5- 5 or 6-4 at worst

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan but I've typed her name many times:

R.779f8c86c753e2161d576d9aaa7ad642

Always has been and always will be the 1987 loss. We had great seats and had already planned our route to get on the court. We were going over Doug Logan’s right shoulder.

The ghost of Fab Melo (rest his soul) never should have sat. BTW has the university every really properly given this guy a send off after what happened to him? I don’t remember the University ever paying tribute to that team give how good they were. We would kill to have a team like that
34-3 is such an insane record.

How many games did they lose with Fab Melo in the lineup? One? That team was better than the 2010 team imo.
One, and if I recall correctly it was his first or second game back.

Was so pumped after this.

Listen to that crowd.

The St. John's game at the MSG when Fab came back was one of my favorite games that I've attended. The Garden was sold out and we had 75% of the crowd and we curb stomped SJU. Up 20 late with a fast break dunk that blew the roof off. Their fans were so dejected.

My problem with the 2010 over 2012 crowd is the often-stated assumption by many here that they would have won it all without the fateful injury. There would have still been 3 games left to win against the remaining best. Assuming they were all equal, that means a 12.5% chance of winning those three. Okay, we'll adjust upward because S.U. was intrinsically better than them, heh. Still nowhere over 50% for all 3 games. Need to keep respect for opponents. And Arinze was a beast by post-2020 S.U. standards. But he had too many 3 rebound games on his resume for comfort to assume he would have been adequate for every match-up.

That 2012 team had spawned a bizarre advantage nobody saw coming. Fab Melo didn't play the usual or expected Shaq-like role (being a monolith just for sheer size within 5 feet of the basket - how'd that work for Purdue?), but rather that Melo-in-the-middle thingy where he would palm the ball back inside or 8 feet to an open shooter. Even Kentucky didn't necessarily have an answer for that.

And we are probably blessed when we can use nicknames like "Melo," and people aren't sure exactly clear on the actual person being referenced.

My problem with the 2010 over 2012 crowd is the often-stated assumption by many here that they would have won it all without the fateful injury. There would have still been 3 games left to win against the remaining best. Assuming they were all equal, that means a 12.5% chance of winning those three. Okay, we'll adjust upward because S.U. was intrinsically better than them, heh. Still nowhere over 50% for all 3 games. Need to keep respect for opponents. And Arinze was a beast by post-2020 S.U. standards. But he had too many 3 rebound games on his resume for comfort to assume he would have been adequate for every match-up.

That 2012 team had spawned a bizarre advantage nobody saw coming. Fab Melo didn't play the usual or expected Shaq-like role (being a bully just for sheer size within 5 feet of the basket - how'd that work for Purdue?), but rather that Melo-in-the-middle thingy where he would palm the ball back inside or 8 feet to an open shooter. Even Kentucky didn't necessarily have an answer for that.

And we are probably blessed when we can use nicknames like "Melo," and people aren't sure exactly clear on the actual person being referenced.
I think most people regret 2010 more because the competition was weaker that season. It was not because the team was necessarily better.

2010 team coasts to a title

2012 team coasts to the championship game

what other 1 seeds lost their starting center right before the tournament? and it happens to us twice in 3 years. bullsheeeit.
Raf doesn't get hurt in 86
DC hits the free throws
Sherm doesn't get sick
DC doesn't get hurt
Kenny Anderson joins DC, Owens and Stevie...
Anybody but that Kentucky team in '96

Changing my handle to buzzkill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom