I'm watching Band of Brothers for the third go around | Syracusefan.com

I'm watching Band of Brothers for the third go around

CaliCuse

All American
IMO the best ever WW2 drama ever. Fantastic characterizations of soldiers AND civilians.While watching I am reminded that I had the honor of knowing several "heroes that fought in that war besides my father.My old deceased friend Fred Deblon who parachuted behind enemy/German lines on D-Day and a long time maintenance man that I employed in NJ who was taken prisoner during "The Bulge and managed to survive despite a large number of fellow prisoners being loaded on to trucks and never seen again. A Federal examiner was taking an afternoon coffee break so I joined him . He got to talking about his experiences in the war. I have no idea how we got on the subject but making friends with examiners is always a good idea ,so I smiled listened and contributed when I could. He was a participant at Bastogne. When we decided it was time to go back to our respective duties he reached into his wallet and gave me something special. It was a card saying I met and was a friend of a Battling Bastard Of Bastogne" I thank ed him and put the card in my wallet. It is one of my many regrets in life that I have lost this card. I could see he was happy to have discussed this and giving me the honor. He too is gone now was an older gentleman so I presume he is gone now. The Bulge POW died late last year. Ifb you know any of these men ,speak to them and learn what you can if they don't mind talking about the war. Its a rare insight into history by those who lived it.

It's one of the best things in general, TV or movie, ever produced.

The Pacific was also excellent, but not as good as BoB. Maybe it's because my grandfather fought in Europe and not the Pacific that I feel that way, of course.

Episode 9, Why We Fight, is one of the greatest hours (and a little change) of television ever produced.

It's one of the best things in general, TV or movie, ever produced.

The Pacific was also excellent, but not as good as BoB. Maybe it's because my grandfather fought in Europe and not the Pacific that I feel that way, of course.

Episode 9, Why We Fight, is one of the greatest hours (and a little change) of television ever produced.

BofB followed the same outfit (Easy Co) from training camp to Normandy, Holland, Bastogne, and Germany, so there was continuity of personnel.

The war in the Pacific was so spread out that it was impossible for the same outfit to appear in every major battle, so the characters tend to jump around.

Basilone started out with the 7th Marines at Guadalcanal. Leckie and Phillips were with the 1st Marines on Guadalcanal and New Guinea. Sledge and Burgin were with the 5th Marines at Peleliu. Basilone was with a different outfit (27th Marines) at Iwo Jima. And finally back to Sledge and Burgin at Okinawa. Unless you read some of the books beforehand, it was a little confusing keeping track of who was where.

I have an uncle, John Patrick Emery, who shadowed the Band of Brothers. He wasn't in Easy Company, but was with them pretty much every step of the way.

The only story I ever hear him tell about the war was that he didn't want to be there, and he didn't understand why we were there ... Until they liberated a concentration camp. That put all his doubts and misery into perspective.

My grandmother, and Uncle Jack's wife added one thing to the only war story he ever told ... He left a devout Catholic, but returned a non believer. For my uncle, and those who served with him, war didn't strengthen their beliefs. The idea there are no atheist in foxholes was apparently lost to many who actually lived that hell for years.

IMO the best ever WW2 drama ever. Fantastic characterizations of soldiers AND civilians.While watching I am reminded that I had the honor of knowing several "heroes that fought in that war besides my father.My old deceased friend Fred Deblon who parachuted behind enemy/German lines on D-Day and a long time maintenance man that I employed in NJ who was taken prisoner during "The Bulge and managed to survive despite a large number of fellow prisoners being loaded on to trucks and never seen again. A Federal examiner was taking an afternoon coffee break so I joined him . He got to talking about his experiences in the war. I have no idea how we got on the subject but making friends with examiners is always a good idea ,so I smiled listened and contributed when I could. He was a participant at Bastogne. When we decided it was time to go back to our respective duties he reached into his wallet and gave me something special. It was a card saying I met and was a friend of a Battling Of Bastogne" I thank ed him and put the card in my wallet. It is one of my many regrets in life that I have lost this card. I could see he was happy to have discussed this and giving me the honor. He too is gone now was an older gentleman so I presume he is gone now. The Bulge POW died late last year. Ifb you know any of these men ,speak to them and learn what you can if they don't mind talking about the war. Its a rare insight into history by those who lived it.

Last edited:
Greatest form of entertainment ever made in my opinion.

The proof is that David schwimmer I a main character and its still good. ;)

There is something insanely powerful to watching those old men discuss these memories, especially at the end when they tear up.

Read some of their memoirs. Dick winters, buck Compton, and a book with both wild bill and babe heffron. Fantastic stuff.

"Bastogne" was one if my favorites.

One of my favorite things now is going back and watching and seeing the guys who were pretty much faceless no name actors at the time popping up. For instance, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, and Simon Pegg were all in the miniseries.

One of my favorite things now is going back and watching and seeing the guys who were pretty much faceless no name actors at the time popping up. For instance, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, and Simon Pegg were all in the miniseries.
Agreed. Damien Lewis was so fantastic in this too. I have yet to see homeland, but I did love Life on NBC.

Best documentary/war pic I've ever seen. Would love to own that one.
Go for it. Its worth it and it is something you can watch more than once and not be bored. I love the last disc that shows the actualliving character that were portrayed including Damien Lewis' character Major Winters by the end. Thats no big spoiler BTW.

Go for it. Its worth it and it is something you can watch more than once and not be bored. I love the last disc that shows the actualliving character that were portrayed including Damien Lewis' character Major Winters by the end. Thats no big spoiler BTW.

I'm thinking the wife will get that for me for Christmas or something. I've seen them all multiple times at this point. Can't ever turn them off when they are on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom