I'm worried | Syracusefan.com

I'm worried

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
that no matter what Nassib does he's going to get slammed and I'm not really sure why. Maybe the history on boards like these is to always slam the QB no matter who they are but it seems that he is scrutinized more than he should be.

Last year was his first year starting, the O-Line didn't do him any favors, the WR's at times were abysmal in different ways, and the running game at times never got going to take some pressure off him. Despite that, we had a season that at the beginning most of us couldn't have honestly expected. We beat some good teams in nail biting situations, we won our bowl game at a great location, and Nassib didn't make an awful lot of stupid mistakes overall.

I think some people just need to relax and realize he's not going to win the Heisman but he's still an awfully good QB who will only continue to improve IMO. By the time his career is over he is going to have some huge numbers and he's a key part of the return of the program.

It's because he's the guy we all see and for some reason feel the need to blame him for every little mistake he makes because this team in the past has had no room for error.
I think he's going to be a pretty good qb and hopefully continues to improve.

If we score points and make plays like a legit offense does and will then we will be fine . Mistakes (Int's, fumbles.) happen the issue is that a good qb and offense bounce back. I am tired of an offense that "manages the game" Ball control. McNabb made a lot of bad plays, bonehead moves, the problem is our offense can't recover from this stuff because it took us an hour to move the ball down the field.

Nassib played very very poorly in almost every home game versus BCS comp last year, he made smart on the road and had a great drive versus USF, but that's about it. I also hope the staff lets the kid run a bit if there is nothing there and play the game the way it looks like Nassib would prefer which is hardnosed. Lets hope he steps it up

Best thing Ryan has going for him then is that there is no one else at QB that the fans want to see. No one is exactly clamoring to see Loeb or even Kinder. He'll be fine.

Eli will be fine.

wait, wrong board.

:bat:

It's because he's the guy we all see and for some reason feel the need to blame him for every little mistake he makes because this team in the past has had no room for error.
I think he's going to be a pretty good qb and hopefully continues to improve.

I think last season's strategy was to rely on our stout defense to keep us in games, protect the ball on offense and and not beat ourselves trying to do more than we were capable of. Also, our WR corps was decimated and we were apparently incapable of snapping the ball from the shotgun, which significantly limited our passing game. In the bowl game, I think the coaches anticipated the KSU offense being able to put points on the board (which they did) and it forced us to open-up our offense. When you think about it, going 8-5 (and winning all 4 close games) was a remarkable accomplishment under the circumstances, and IMO vindicates the conservative play calling on offense.

I'm guessing Marrone & Hackett will play it conservatively tomorrow night until they can assess just how good our defense is this year. But part of me wants to see us use the Pinstripe Bowl flea-flicker on our first play.

If we score points and make plays like a legit offense does and will then we will be fine . Mistakes (Int's, fumbles.) happen the issue is that a good qb and offense bounce back. I am tired of an offense that "manages the game" Ball control. McNabb made a lot of bad plays, bonehead moves, the problem is our offense can't recover from this stuff because it took us an hour to move the ball down the field.

Nassib played very very poorly in almost every home game versus BCS comp last year, he made smart on the road and had a great drive versus USF, but that's about it. I also hope the staff lets the kid run a bit if there is nothing there and play the game the way it looks like Nassib would prefer which is hardnosed. Lets hope he steps it up

The entire offense played poorly in those games though which wasn't entirely Nassibs fault. Can't block, can't run, can't catch, along with some miss throws added up to some putrid performances. As stated above though, Nassib gets the blame being the focal point which i guess comes with the territory being a QB.

I have to wonder what the threads in here would've looked like when McNabb was QB. As a whole, we're pretty critical of players in general as a fan base.

I think last season's strategy was to rely on our stout defense to keep us in games, protect the ball on offense and and not beat ourselves trying to do more than we were capable of. Also, our WR corps was decimated and we were apparently incapable of snapping the ball from the shotgun, which significantly limited our passing game. In the bowl game, I think the coaches anticipated the KSU offense being able to put points on the board (which they did) and it forced us to open-up our offense. When you think about it, going 8-5 (and winning all 4 close games) was a remarkable accomplishment under the circumstances, and IMO vindicates the conservative play calling on offense.

I'm guessing Marrone & Hackett will play it conservatively tomorrow night until they can assess just how good our defense is this year. But part of me wants to see us use the Pinstripe Bowl flea-flicker on our first play.

I agree and I'm sure the coaches will let the flow of the game dictate what they do.

I, for one, think a quick kick on the first play would really set a nice tone for the game.

Was KState the only game last year where we saw Nassib in the shotgun?

Not worried.

Ryan is primed for a good year. I was happy to read Rahme's assessment which is optimistic. IMO Ryan's biggest obstacle is psychological- how does he respond to his mistakes? He can be very hard on himself, and sometimes his anger at himself carries over to the next play and he makes an even bigger or more costly mistake. Every football player makes mistakes and the really good ones learn to let them go especially at the QB position.

. . . . Maybe the history on boards like these is to always slam the QB no matter who they are . . .

I think some people just need to relax and realize he's not going to win the Heisman but he's still an awfully good . . . .

This board has a recent history of slamming our QBs because our QBs have a recent history of being awful at the game of football. And any time Cuse fans start a season by saying "we need to realize our star QB is not going to win the Heisman," then that means that, as a program, the Cuse has a ton of room to grow, talent-wise, at the QB position. When we were good, (McPherson, Graves, McNabb) we never started the season saying, "look, we know our guy isn't good enough to win the Heisman. . . " and those guys tended not to get slammed.

BCS teams have to have high standards. QB is a position with the highest standards. There are only ~70 BCS teams, and about 20 of them have QBs with a chance to make some Heisman noise.

We need to be one of those teams, and if Ryan Nassib wants to be a great player at Syracuse, he needs to be one of those Quarterbacks. Otherwise, we need an upgrade at QB for our program to step forward. If Nassib is not a top 20-25 QB in college football, then he is not "awfully good" in any meaningful sense, instead he is just better than what we have had during our rock bottom days.

The whole "well he tries harder than the little engine that could, so that should be enough for all of us" GROB days are over. BCS college football is big time busine$$ on one of the biggest stages in the world, not a confidence-building youth group: therefore criticism is often warranted and constructive.

Was KState the only game last year where we saw Nassib in the shotgun?

Not worried.

We saw a few series against BC, but Macky got gobbled up pretty good. I didn't love throwing him in the fire like that, but hopefully he'll be better for it this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom