Importance of the Ville Game... | Syracusefan.com

Importance of the Ville Game...

newmexicuse

All Conference
It seems likely that even if we lost to the Ville & suffered a first round BET exit that we would still get a #1 seed; however, that would not be a certainty.

Kentucky is certain get a one seed. Then you have some combo of Duke or NC, possibly Spartan State, or (Missouri or Kansas) as the rest of our competition for a 1 seed. All of the above except Ky have at least 4 losses. Our worst case scenerio is three losses. But I guess it is conceivable that a 4 loss team with momentum and a tourney title could jump us. It is possible there could be several of those teams out there.

However, a W at the Ville would absolutely clinch a 1 seed beyond all doubt and irrespective of the BET. Not to mention that we owe them a few in a row.

Beat Rick !!!!

It seems likely that even if we lost to the Ville & suffered a first round BET exit that we would still get a #1 seed; however, that would not be a certainty.

Kentucky is certain get a one seed. Then you have some combo of Duke or NC, possibly Spartan State, or (Missouri or Kansas) as the rest of our competition for a 1 seed. All of the above except Ky have at least 4 losses. Our worst case scenerio is three losses. But I guess it is conceivable that a 4 loss team with momentum and a tourney title could jump us. It is possible there could be several of those teams out there.

However, a W at the Ville would absolutely clinch a 1 seed beyond all doubt and irrespective of the BET. Not to mention that we owe them a few in a row.

Beat Rick !!!!
I was hoping that we didnt have any talk of the "we havent clinched a #1 seed yet".

We have already clinched a #1 seed. Dont sweat it. If Kentucky is a certain #1 seed then why are we not? Think about it.

I was in the camp of "we haven't clinched a 1 seed yet" up until last night. The worst we can be right now is 29-3. Every other possible 1 seed will have more losses than that.

I was in the camp of "we haven't clinched a 1 seed yet" up until last night. The worst we can be right now is 29-3. Every other possible 1 seed will have more losses than that.
We got a #1 seed in 2010 by losing our last 2 and our center. I will eat a steaming pile of dog if we are not a #1 seed and broadcast it on this site live if we dont get a #1 seed.

SU's numbers are better than UK's. If UK is a lock than so is SU.

We got a #1 seed in 2010 by losing our last 2 and our center. I will eat a steaming pile of dog if we are not a #1 seed and broadcast it on this site live if we dont get a #1 seed.
True I forgot about those 2 losses in 2010; that put us out West though. Honestly I'd rather be a 2 in the East than a 1 out West.

And that won't be necessary.

This made me laugh

It's ours. The first job of the committee is to determine the top four seeds. It will be put to bed before we take the court Thursday.

I think we are already in the 90 percentile to get the #1 seed, but no, I do not think it is clinched. If we lose to the Ville & also suffer a first round BET loss while playing badly, I think there are the three other possibilities mentioned in my original post that could jump us. It is almost certain that Duke or NC will win the ACC tourney. It is almost certain that Missouri or Kansas wins the B12 tourney. If that happens you have two strong potential # 1 seeds with momentum. If Michie State goes all the way in their tourney you now have a third team w a legit 1 seed argument. Assuming Kentucky doesn't melt down (not sure how many pre-tourney games they have left), it is possible, though very unlikely, that three teams could jump us if we do not take care of business. It is easily in our own hands. I believe; however, that we will need to beat the Ville and/or win at least one BET game to clinch that seed wo help.

I think we are already in the 90 percentile to get the #1 seed, but no, I do not think it is clinched. If we lose to the Ville & also suffer a first round BET loss while playing badly, I think there are the three other possibilities mentioned in my original post that could jump us. It is almost certain that Duke or NC will win the ACC tourney. It is almost certain that Missouri or Kansas wins the B12 tourney. If that happens you have two strong potential # 1 seeds with momentum. If Michie State goes all the way in their tourney you now have a third team w a legit 1 seed argument. Assuming Kentucky doesn't melt down (not sure how many pre-tourney games they have left), it is possible, though very unlikely, that three teams could jump us if we do not take care of business. It is easily in our own hands. I believe; however, that we will need to beat the Ville and/or win at least one BET game to clinch that seed wo help.

Wow you are so far off base. Not picking on you but holy cow. The ACC champ will not get a #1 seed over us. No chance in holy hell. In your argument Kentucky would also not have clinched seeing we are literally neck and neck with them for the overall #1 seed.

Hope you're right. 2 consecutive loses could change the perception/psychology of the committee. All loses are not equal. Recent loses always way heavier on the psyche. We could still get a #1 depending on what others do ... but could we get bounced to the fourth #1 out west and not in Boston which they could possibly place the ACC winner if they win out.

Hope you're right. 2 consecutive loses could change the perception/psychology of the committee. All loses are not equal. Recent loses always way heavier on the psyche. We could still get a #1 depending on what others do ... but could we get bounced to the fourth #1 out west and not in Boston which they could possibly place the ACC winner if they win out.
The "last 10" is no longer a criteria for the committee.

The only ACC team with a chance to get a 1 is Duke, and they don't have much of one.

Here is a direct quote from cnnsi:

Syracuse is going to be a No. 1 seed in the Field of 68 regardless of what happens in the Big East Tournament in Madison Square Garden.

We cannot drop below the second most losses for a major conference in the country not even tie for third.

We play in the Big East. We clinched a one already. We even had a one clinched pending 4 losses. On top of that our first and only loss was without Melo.

This isn't even a discussion. Its like saying if Kentucky wins out from here on they should be a 2 because florida and vandy aren't that good.

Beat Rick !!!!
Newmexico I respect your opinion on here as you make a lot of good points BUT its universal we are a lock for a 1 seed. The only way WE DON'T get Boston is if Duke won out and we lost our last 2. Which I don't believe will happen. Thankfully we are really the only Eastern 1 seed team this year thus the committee will put that team in the East. If Duke or North Carolina challenged for 1 seeds the committee would move Kentucky to St. Louis and put the ACC team in Atlanta. We are a 1 seed and trust me we have wiggle room for Boston. I believe we will beat Louisville but this game is more to honor 2 great Orange players Scoop and Kris the crowd will give them a great sendoff and I believe we will beat Louisville, but don't fret the 1 seed or Boston we would have to lose 2 games and have a MAJOR injury which I hope doesn't happen.

I've seen him eat worse... that being said I couldn't agree more

I respectfully disagree. We have been the #1 or #2 team in the country for four months. It's been Syracuse/UK and then everyone else for the entire year. Even at 29-3, our resume would top every other team in the country except UK. We are a 1 seed. Last night locked it up. Pittsburgh, Boston, New Orleans, parade thru downtown Syracuse.

i agree its not a must win but given the year scoop and kris are having i fully expect we play well and smoke the cards who havent been impressive on the road.

If you think we are 90% to get a 1 seed I'll give you 10:1 odds (91% implied, higher payout for you) and we'll put some money on it

It seems likely that even if we lost to the Ville & suffered a first round BET exit...

Except we can't suffer a first round BET exit because we get a two-round bye. If we lose our first BET game, it will most likely come against a team that will make the NCAA field. That's not the same thing as losing to a bottom-dweller.

The committee doesn't penalize teams for poor conference tournament play. They do reward the teams that win their conference tournaments, but not at the expense of what elite teams accomplished during the regular season.

Beat Rick !!!!
We already have a win at the Ville. Saturday's game is in the Dome.

I think we can take tOSU out of the #1 conversation

One other thing...If we lose to Louisville and our first BET opponent, JB will go into full-on salesman mode. He'll start with his presser and follow up with a ton of interviews. Mike & Mike, PTI, and so on. He did the same thing two years ago. He's already whining about the double-bye. He'll make sure we get what we deserve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom