Improve Attendance - Enourage On-Campus Tailgating | Syracusefan.com

Improve Attendance - Enourage On-Campus Tailgating

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Why not sell cheap - $100.00 - season pass tailgate easements all along the Quad and other nice areas on campus. The fee would perhaps include Syracuse University Football tailgate canopies and other items.
Food and drinks could be purchased through the University, etc, etc.

When we traveled to USC last week we noticed that there were tailgates/canopies through the entire campus - all of the canopies were USC colors, most had TVs and/or music and all of them were crowded.

Why not transform the SU campus into a large tailgate city for the home games - make the entire experience the kind that attracts all kinds of fans.

This actually is a pretty friggin good idea.

The gameday atmosphere on campus is...meh. I'd be willing to bet if they allowed tailgating by permit (and relax the alcohol rules), this could take off.

Seriously, that would be sweet. Who didn't watch College Gameday at West Virginia on Saturday and think, "Wow, that is really freaking awesome. I wish we had atmosphere like that at Syracuse." On-campus tailgating would help this immensely.

I agree. And if they were lenient on underage drinking, this would help student attendance a ton.

Only if they provide Syracuse University employees to haul your stuff from your car to the Quad (and back), because doing it yourself would be too much of a hassle.

This actually is a pretty friggin good idea.

The gameday atmosphere on campus is...meh. I'd be willing to bet if they allowed tailgating by permit (and relax the alcohol rules), this could take off.

Why not work your arse off talking to someone like Weber Grills and cut them a sweet sponsorship deal where in return they outfit tailgating for home games? They get the visibility; we get the hardware to insitgate a better environment for fans.

I agree. And if they were lenient on underage drinking, this would help student attendance a ton.

I'm sure it would help, but I'd rather not see Syracuse do things that will inevitably lead to a PR debacle to get attendance up.

I'm sure it would help, but I'd rather not see Syracuse do things that will inevitably lead to a PR debacle to get attendance up.

I don't know how much of a PR debacle it is. I have a bunch of friends that go to South Carolina, they've had their own tailgate spot since they were sophomores, and have been doing their thing and no one gives them any flack for it. I know the SEC is a different animal, but as long as kids aren't being out of control. We had Mayfest for years, and it generally worked out well...

I don't know how much of a PR debacle it is. I have a bunch of friends that go to South Carolina, they've had their own tailgate spot since they were sophomores, and have been doing their thing and no one gives them any flack for it. I know the SEC is a different animal, but as long as kids aren't being out of control. We had Mayfest for years, and it generally worked out well...

I lived on South Campus when I was in school; my college roommate's family tailgated at Manley. We used to tailgate with them with no issues. Was not at all uncommon to see under 21's drinking at Skytop. Not sure if you're suggesting tailgating spots for before the game, allow you to smuggle alcohol into the Dome, or allowing you to buy beer at the Dome. Each progression there creates more of an issue for the University.

Not sure I buy it as a way to get student attendance up - they find a reason to come to the hoops games, so this strikes me as being as phony as the "parking is a hassle" canard others are using.

I lived on South Campus when I was in school; my college roommate's family tailgated at Manley. We used to tailgate with them with no issues. Was not at all uncommon to see under 21's drinking at Skytop. Not sure if you're suggesting tailgating spots for before the game, allow you to smuggle alcohol into the Dome, or allowing you to buy beer at the Dome. Each progression there creates more of an issue for the University.

Not sure I buy it as a way to get student attendance up - they find a reason to come to the hoops games, so this strikes me as being as phony as the "parking is a hassle" canard others are using.

I'm saying that there should be an effort to allow students to tailgate. Obviously the latter two are not going to happen.

Basketball doesn't have issues because we're an elite program, and college basketball is bigger in the northeast than college football is in many ways.

I'd be willing to bet if they allowed tailgating by permit (and relax the alcohol rules), this could take off.

They're pretty relaxed already; we usually just bring up a couple loose cases of beer and plunk ourselves down in front of HBC or Bowne (depending on construction) and no one ever has asked us not to. DPS has a presence up here, but I think they're fine with the drinking.

Why not sell cheap - $100.00 - season pass tailgate easements all along the Quad and other nice areas on campus. The fee would perhaps include Syracuse University Football tailgate canopies and other items.
Food and drinks could be purchased through the University, etc, etc.

When we traveled to USC last week we noticed that there were tailgates/canopies through the entire campus - all of the canopies were USC colors, most had TVs and/or music and all of them were crowded.

Why not transform the SU campus into a large tailgate city for the home games - make the entire experience the kind that attracts all kinds of fans.

Send your idea to Chris Gedney as he is in charge of the Orange Club - SU is always up for making more money whenever they can.

Only if they provide Syracuse University employees to haul your stuff from your car to the Quad (and back), because doing it yourself would be too much of a hassle.

When we come up from DC for games, we stay at the Sheraton and wheel a grill, chairs, coolers, and everything up the hill to campus, tailgate on the corner of the quad close to Bowne, and a half-hour before the game, close up shop and wheel it all back down.

You can tailgate the quad, there's nothing stopping anyone.

This is at 8am on a noon gameday (vs. Louisville last year). The emptiness means fail.
76808_1451356606450_1309308371_31012358_2224714_n.jpg

It would also help get people to the Dome on time for kickoff. I get annoyed at how few fans are in their seats anymore for the team running onto the field and the opening kickoff. It didn't use to be that way.

That picture of the quad is worth a thousand words. I have no idea how much other schools charge for prime tailgating spots, but I've been to Alabama where their 'quad' is a city of 10x10 popups people put up after staking out spots the night before. In Ann Arbor, every student house and fraternity is packed with partying students on gameday.

I'm not suggesting Syracuse should expect that sort of scene, but that quad would be a great spot. Biggest downside, I guess, is transporting stuff back and forth. Could be great for students, though.

I've said it before on this board, but for whatever reason, Syracuse doesn't seem to fully embrace game day. Fraternities should be rocking. Students should be partying. Big football school fans don't just show up and look for parking just before kickoff- the day starts hours earlier and goes on after. My brother-in-law, while at VaTech, had game day traditions with his housemates that began at 5am.

I don't think SU students legitimately consider theirs a 'big time' program. Being by far the worst team in the worst BCS conference didn't help. Hopefully, beating higher profile teams in The ACC will help. I doubt they'll ever get that excited about USF, Cincy, or Louisville, no matter how good they are.

Seriously, as a student I take ANY ING EXCUSE to ing party and grill , I DON'T GET IT AT ALL!

Another option besides the quad - have always thought it would be cool if they sold $5 or $10 passes for cars to back up at an angle next to the curb on Walnut next to the green. Make cars vacate before 8 PM the night before gameday then begin selling spots 4 or 5 hours before kickoff - first come first served until the perimeter around the quad is full then block off the area. Would make for a great atmosphere, similar to what was on TV for gameday at WVU, with the frats and sororities surrounding the main tailgating scene on a gameday. M Street is a couple blocks away. In addition people are able to still have the green space, but have their cars there to tailgate out of to prevent the time wheeling everything back down from the quad to their car before the game.

The tailgates at some if these places are no joke. People have 42" tvs under tents, powered by portable generators. In some cases, people without tickets hang out at the tailgate during the game. Obviously, weather in CNY makes that part unlikely, but something should be done.

Creating an environment of tailgating on campus is paramount to getting students more involved in the football games. One of the first things I noticed at USC was the number of students walking around with an open beer in one hand and a 12 or 18 pack in the other. It makes it a social event. The lack of open container laws, or just the fact that they were ignored on game-day, made it an awesome on-campus event. Was also impressed with the USC band and the fact that they knew more than 4 songs, many of which were current and encouraged students to sing along.

Or, you could offer cheap, i.e. free tailgating on campus. Not sure why every move SU makes has to grub for more money.

UCF has incredible on-campus tailgating. Think of pitching your keg right next to the ED statue kinda tailgating. The problem they have is people get so frigging plastered, and the scene is so cool, that more than half the tailgaters never make it to the game. It is a real problem for them.

Or, you could offer cheap, i.e. free tailgating on campus. Not sure why every move SU makes has to grub for more money.

UCF has incredible on-campus tailgating. Think of pitching your keg right next to the ED statue kinda tailgating. The problem they have is people get so frigging plastered, and the scene is so cool, that more than half the tailgaters never make it to the game. It is a real problem for them.
The ideas would be to "sell" easements - make it mean something - give bragging rights "I have my reserved tailgating location on the Quad".

Ownership conveys importance - and makes the object more desireable.

The idea is not to make money, necessarily, but to spur interest and participation.

UGA's tailgating is epic. I rarely went to games (who becomes a fan of their grad school's team?), but Athens is always packed with drunk tailgaters. Do you know how many people who don't plan on attending a game decide they are willing to spend $100 to get in after their 7th drink? That was my beer money every week. The more people hanging around the dome, the more people are likely to go inside the dome. Granted, the SEC is a different animal, but even our law school set up tailgating tents and provided kegs for the students...

Another option besides the quad - have always thought it would be cool if they sold $5 or $10 passes for cars to back up at an angle next to the curb on Walnut next to the green. Make cars vacate before 8 PM the night before gameday then begin selling spots 4 or 5 hours before kickoff - first come first served until the perimeter around the quad is full then block off the area. Would make for a great atmosphere, similar to what was on TV for gameday at WVU, with the frats and sororities surrounding the main tailgating scene on a gameday. M Street is a couple blocks away. In addition people are able to still have the green space, but have their cars there to tailgate out of to prevent the time wheeling everything back down from the quad to their car before the game.

I like this idea alot

I agree that free is better. When it becomes a place to go, people will get there early to stake out spots. Charging will kill the idea, IMO.

Even at Rutgers there are bands and family areas and activities for people. The university could improve the atmosphere.