In a perfect world | Syracusefan.com

In a perfect world

cuseguy

Living Legend
I understand, it’s a different world. Players leave early, things happen But In a perfect world, Carey is coming into his own as a sophomore point. Bazley is becoming a star at SF. Brissett is an established PF. Battle is the team leader at SG. Sidibe is holding his own at center — or maybe Stewart comes to SU.

It’s probably been too much to ask for this staff to fill all of those holes. The program has generally been able to reload. Now, finally, we’re seeing that’s not possible this year.

This team will grow. But once looked like a small rebuild — 15 to 20 games now, says JB — may be much longer, maybe a year or two.

Hughes is likely gone after this year. Who replaces his scoring? Who suddenly emerges as a top rebounder outside of perhaps Quincy? Who scores inside? There’s no one on the way to lift the program next year.

We need to be more realistic. This could take awhile.

I get this is your dream scenario, but coaches know, or have an idea, what players are leaving early. We were lucky to get tyus and oshae back last year. Baxley was certainly a weird situation, but he would have been gone after year one.

We don't have an acc caliber starting center, pg, or sg. I hate to say it, but if boeheim is going to stick around these next 2 years, he should have to get a new assistant with some recruiting chops or the ability to draw up plays. The rebuild for cuse basketball should be a bubble type year, not what we are seeing this year.

I get this is your dream scenario, but coaches know, or have an idea, what players are leaving early. We were lucky to get tyus and oshae back last year. Baxley was certainly a weird situation, but he would have been gone after year one.

We don't have an acc caliber starting center, pg, or sg. I hate to say it, but if boeheim is going to stick around these next 2 years, he should have to get a new assistant with some recruiting chops or the ability to draw up plays. The rebuild for cuse basketball should be a bubble type year, not what we are seeing this year.

Bazley caught SU by surprise. It was too late to find anyone close to his caliber. Brissett had a mediocre year. Many, including the coaches, thought he might return. The only one they were certain about was Battle. But leaving early, please remember, is a right of passage for SU players. It’s not common everywhere.

It would be a lot better than this mess but it still would be below where we should be as a program. That was my point. Yearning for a 7 seed type of team tells you how far we have fallen.

What’s scary is that Hughes is probably leaving. If he was smart he would be a grad transfer and go to a team that has a chance to win.

But leaving early, please remember, is a right of passage for SU players. It’s not common everywhere.
It is common everywhere, from teams that don't make the tourney, all the way to UVA.

No ass't with recruiting chops is going to come here and save us. Those guys are in demand and we can't offer them what they need most. Job security. When a new coach comes here they will want their own ass'ts.

Recruiting is going to be extremely difficult. Lame duck coach, no succession plan doesn't bode well for the program.

No ass't with recruiting chops is going to come here and save us. Those guys are in demand and we can't offer them what they need most. Job security. When a new coach comes here they will want their own ass'ts.
Yeah, I was discussing this with a friend last night. He said the same thing. I'm not so sure we can't get an up and coming stud (granted I'm not sure who that is).

I really cant wait for a day when we have an assistant who can command a huddle when jb is talking with the refs, or has a play drawn up ready to go out of a time out.

Posters with intimate knowledge of the staff, is this on JB for not allowing the coaches to help out or is it on the assistants for not taking a lead role? I go to almost every game, and they just seem to be there, doing nothing.

Yeah, I was discussing this with a friend last night. He said the same thing. I'm not so sure we can't get an up and coming stud (granted I'm not sure who that is).

I really cant wait for a day when we have an assistant who can command a huddle when jb is talking with the refs, or has a play drawn up ready to go out of a time out.

Posters with intimate knowledge of the staff, is this on JB for not allowing the coaches to help out or is it on the assistants for not taking a lead role? I go to almost every game, and they just seem to be there, doing nothing.

At what schools are the assistants taking over the huddle and drawing up the plays? I’m positive they’re playing the roles they’re expected to play.

At what schools are the assistants taking over the huddle and drawing up the plays? I’m positive they’re playing the roles they’re expected to play.
When the coach is talking with the refs for 30 - 45 sec of a timeout and the assistants are giggling behind the players, yes, I expect the assistants to be talking to the players during these things.

Most coaches meet with their assistants at the start of a timeout to huddle up and talk about ways adapt during a game. This isn't breaking news, it happens at almost every school. I was watching gtech the other day and one of the assistants was leading the huddle even with pastner around. Now, that might speak to his abilities, but it's not unheard of.

When the coach is talking with the refs for 30 - 45 sec of a timeout and the assistants are giggling behind the players, yes, I expect the assistants to be talking to the players during these things.

Most coaches meet with their assistants at the start of a timeout to huddle up and talk about ways adapt during a game. This isn't breaking news, it happens at almost every school. I was watching gtech the other day and one of the assistants was leading the huddle even with pastner around. Now, that might speak to his abilities, but it's not unheard of.

So you’re blaming the assistants? I’m positive they’re playing the role they’re expected to play.

So you’re blaming the assistants? I’m positive they’re playing the role they’re expected to play.
Sure, it is an indictment of the whole staff. If they can't recruit, and they certainly don't seem to offer any help during the games, what are they there for?

A few years ago when Hop was still around, I heard from someone that Hop was planning on getting rid of one of the assistants based on his abilities on the recruiting front.

What I am saying is the reason we aren't competitive right now is because of the staff, and what are they doing about it? I certainly think at least one assistant should be let go to get some new blood, but as Dasher said, we may not have any options at this point.

I get they probably are not asked to help out, and that is on the JB, but man, at least look interested while you are out there.

Bazley caught SU by surprise. It was too late to find anyone close to his caliber. Brissett had a mediocre year. Many, including the coaches, thought he might return. The only one they were certain about was Battle. But leaving early, please remember, is a right of passage for SU players. It’s not common everywhere.
Yes it is. You have players leaving early all over the country and not even at the top programs anymore. And then if you don’t have them leaving for the pro’s they are transferring if they have a shot to play at a higher level or any other reason. This certainly very common everywhere else. We aren’t special .

Bazley is getting 17 minutes per game for the Thunder right now. There would be no reason for him to be in college as a sophomore.

You’re spoiling the fun.

It is common everywhere, from teams that don't make the tourney, all the way to UVA.

It wasn’t common at Nova when it won a national title. But Nova finally is getting a taste of it.

I'm not sure about that. I hate going "When Hopkins was here..." but when Hopkins was here it was very clear on the sideline that JB was 1a and Hopkins was 1b.

When he left, that 1b mentality on the bench left with him. Nobody has really stepped into that role on the staff. It's like Red and GMac all continued filling their roles on the bench from before, and Griffin as the newest member wasn't going to act like 1b when he started.