In case there was a doubt | Syracusefan.com

In case there was a doubt

To get praise from the Rochester sports press is an accomplishment.

I lived in Rochester twice and was surprised at the lack of interest and support for SU there.

That's not to say there aren't pockets of support. But George Beahon and the nitwit, small-time moron that replaced him were unceasingly critical. These dopes along with a large slice of the Rochester harbor this jealousy towards SU that I never understood.

Maybe the Rochesterians were concerned that they not be seen as somehow being different and better that Syracuse and Buffalo. That sense may have dissipated with the near death of Kodak and Xerox.

I sat there mind-boggled as the populations of Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse argued about which city is really in the "snow belt". The answer was and is, "You all are!".

I lived in Rochester twice and was surprised at the lack of interest and support for SU there.

That's not to say there aren't pockets of support. But George Beahon and the nitwit, small-time moron that replaced him were unceasingly critical. These dopes along with a large slice of the Rochester harbor this jealousy towards SU that I never understood.

Maybe the Rochesterians were concerned that they not be seen as somehow being different and better that Syracuse and Buffalo. That sense may have dissipated with the near death of Kodak and Xerox.

I sat there mind-boggled as the populations of Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse argued about which city is really in the "snow belt". The answer was and is, "You all are!".

What is Rochester? Go 'Cuse

I disagree. TW use to carry almost all the SU games pre ACC. Its carrying the ACC network that seems to be the problem. I always thought that the D&C did a decent job of covering SU basketball. Football is a little spotty but basketball is usually good. Being a Bona grad, I became a SU fan just because of the amount of coverage that SU got. Pre-internet SU coverage was 100 times that off Bona, Niagara, Canisus or UB combined. D&C still does not even carry most of Bona scores and Bonnies play a game here once a year. I heard there was a problem last weekend with officiating at a Bona game but still don't know the details for lack of local coverage. Beahon and Bob Mathews use to complain about the lack of D1 sports in a city the size of Rochester and then fail to acknowledge the schools 2 hrs away!

I disagree. TW use to carry almost all the SU games pre ACC. Its carrying the ACC network that seems to be the problem. I always thought that the D&C did a decent job of covering SU basketball. Football is a little spotty but basketball is usually good. Being a Bona grad, I became a SU fan just because of the amount of coverage that SU got. Pre-internet SU coverage was 100 times that off Bona, Niagara, Canisus or UB combined. D&C still does not even carry most of Bona scores and Bonnies play a game here once a year. I heard there was a problem last weekend with officiating at a Bona game but still don't know the details for lack of local coverage. Beahon and Bob Mathews use to complain about the lack of D1 sports in a city the size of Rochester and then fail to acknowledge the schools 2 hrs away!

Matthews ... that's the fool. I used to play BB against him at the Y. He was as a player what you would expect. He thought he was a lot better than he actually was. No talent, but a ball hog. He dribbled watching the ground in front of him.

I don't remember any coverage of St Bona or Niagara even though they were respectable teams. But Beahon and Matthews were actively negative on SU. Beahon slobbered all over Norte Dame. It was disgusting.

Matthews ... that's the fool. I used to play BB against him at the Y. He was as a player what you would expect. He thought he was a lot better than he actually was. No talent, but a ball hog. He dribbled watching the ground in front of him.

I don't remember any coverage of St Bona or Niagara even though they were respectable teams. But Beahon and Matthews were actively negative on SU. Beahon slobbered all over Norte Dame. It was disgusting.
Yeah, Mathews was so PO that there was no D1 in Rochester, he p'd on all the ones around us. He sort of took it as a personal affront! Complained that the UofR wants to be like an Ivey League school but doesn't want to be D1.

As a man who will be moving to the Rochester area in a year or two, this makes me sad

As a man who will be moving to the Rochester area in a year or two, this makes me sad
Don't worry. You'll love Rochester! Great place to live. Except for sometimes having to watch games on ESPN3, SU coverage is good. We get all of the TWC SU talk shows.

Rochester is a bitter, white-collar city with no flagship sports franchise that they can identify with. They have to piggyback. When I think of Rochester, I think of hockey nerds and a doll museum. Who really gives a about hockey.

Don't worry about Townie. Rochester is a nice place to live.

I didn't say it wasn't a nice place to live. I said the Rochester press had been openly negative about SU sports the times I lived there.

I also said there were some SU fans there, but not nearly as many as you might expect given the proximity to SU and the lack of alternative D1 programs.

Rochester is fine bas long as you take advantage of what there is to do there. For our family it was boating, fishing in Ontario and Canadaigua lakes and skiing. You have to find someway of getting outside in the long Winter.

I prefer larger cities in warmer climates myself.

Shouldn't this thread come with some sort of high negativity warning?

Shouldn't this thread come with some sort of high negativity warning?

Why?

Syracuse athletics getting positive press in Rochester is good news given the history and the attitudes of many Rochestarians towards Syracuse and Syracuse University.

Why?

Syracuse athletics getting positive press in Rochester is good news given the history and the attitudes of many Rochestarians towards Syracuse and Syracuse University.
I've spent a number of years in Rochester and have never seen that jealous attitude toward SU at all. In fact I've seen more disdain for SU from the city of Syracuse than I ever have from Rochester.

Hey I dribble on the ground in front of me so

Rochester is a bitter, white-collar city with no flagship sports franchise that they can identify with. They have to piggyback. When I think of Rochester, I think of hockey nerds and a doll museum. Who really gives a about hockey.

I like hockey

I've spent a number of years in Rochester and have never seen that jealous attitude toward SU at all. In fact I've seen more disdain for SU from the city of Syracuse than I ever have from Rochester.
I grew up in Rochester and share your opinion, no disdain for Syracuse at all.

Also, maybe there is a difference between growing up there vs moving in, but from my view everyone I know from Rochester is a Syracuse basketball fan (don't really care about SU football, there are the Bills).

Why?

I just enjoyed seeing you and FrancoPizza posting similar thoughts in the same thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom