In case there was a doubt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

In case there was a doubt

I grew up in Rochester and share your opinion, no disdain for Syracuse at all.

Also, maybe there is a difference between growing up there vs moving in, but from my view everyone I know from Rochester is a Syracuse basketball fan (don't really care about SU football, there are the Bills).
Yes, bizarre thread. Townie must have grown up on the West Side (inside Rochester joke)!

I grew up in and look fondly upon my 20 years in Rochester (still visit annually). I read and listened to Bob Matthews for 15+ years before starting my adult life. If anything, he consistently promoted the exploits of SU sports. Yes, he used to write occasionally how he wished the U of R had been taken on the athletic profile of SU, but it was never a spiteful. Just wistful longing.

And I will testify, SU hoops is remarkably popular in Rochester. SU football much less so, but that has a lot to do with the lack of success and the overriding presence of the Bills, which is understandable. Very few (in Rochester and most places) were willing to sacrifice their fall weekends following the Orange on Saturdays and the Bills on Sunday. Too much. Now if Babers starts winning 9 or 10 games annually ... okay, let's not get ahead of myself just yet.

In the last 2 decades (likely longer), the Sabres have grown in prominence as Rochester and Buffalo have, in essence, grown closer. "Blame" that on cable TV and the enhanced luxury and safety of the automobile (its a lot easier/comfotable/safer to drive from Rochester to Buffalo these days than in the late 70s due to technology, phones, gas mileage, etc.).

Let's wrap it up this way, Rochester is a hockey town with a solid affinity for Yankees baseball in the summer and SU hoops in the winter.

Are you saying you like the doll museum?
article-2289592-187EE54F000005DC-816_964x643.jpg

As a man who will be moving to the Rochester area in a year or two, this makes me sad
A friend from NYC who moved to Rochester for business described it as "the best kept secret in the Northeast."
I know of at least 3 people who live there and commute(d) to NYC (several days at a time).
As a visitor, I've got to say it is the best smaller city I've been to...surprisingly happening place.

Hey I dribble on the ground in front of me so
Read what I wrote, for Chrissakes.

When you are dribbling, where are you looking? Are you staring at the feet of the player guarding you? If so, you and Bob Matthews do it the same way.

Read what I wrote, for Chrissakes.

When you are dribbling, where are you looking? Are you staring at the feet of the player guarding you? If so, you and Bob Matthews do it the same way.
Easy, Townie!

BTW, it's no longer a doll museum. It's the Toy Hall of Fame. It's got a pretty fabulous video game collection and lots of activities for kids.

Easy, Townie!

BTW, it's no longer a doll museum. It's the Toy Hall of Fame. It's got a pretty fabulous video game collection and lots of activities for kids.
People from all over the country travel to the Strong Museum. We have a membership and my kids love it. I sort of miss the doll exhibit because it's interesting history and creepy dolls from the 1700's freak me out.

As a man who will be moving to the Rochester area in a year or two, this makes me sad
Great town, just different. Always a much better love music scene than Syracuse, and light years ahead in soccer.

Rochester is a bitter, white-collar city with no flagship sports franchise that they can identify with. They have to piggyback. When I think of Rochester, I think of hockey nerds and a doll museum. Who really gives a about hockey.
Haha wow this is a bit much. Never lived in Rochester but have family there and have spent plenty of time. Lots of SU basketball and ND football fans imo. And plenty of people care about hockey even though you obviously don't.

Rochester is a bitter, white-collar city with no flagship sports franchise that they can identify with. They have to piggyback. When I think of Rochester, I think of hockey nerds and a doll museum. Who really gives a about hockey.

I never saw anyone say that before

Really nice article! (Maybe we can trade bud for this guy?) I like how he starts out with a little history. Those fist pumps during the uva game were decades in the making.

Really nice article! (Maybe we can trade bud for this guy?) I like how he starts out with a little history. Those fist pumps during the uva game were decades in the making.
Thanks. It's funny where a thread will go. Yours is really the first to even mention the article. I posted it as it shares the view of many here. But instead of starting a another conversation about JB, it ended up discussing Rochester, pro and con! What they failed to comment on is the baseball team. Really nice place to spend time and I wish I could do it more. Use to be a season ticket holder but had to give it up. Park is nice, and IMHO much better than Syracuse's and Buffalo. Somebody mentioned the lack of big time sports but I believe that Rochester and Syracuse compete in all the same sports league. Buffalo to except for hockey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom