In case you forgot the insanity of Bob Knight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

In case you forgot the insanity of Bob Knight

That kid worked for me. He referred to him as Knight instead of coach Knight. He was harassed for years by IU fans about the incident.
I remember it had something to do with how the kid addressed him. Couldn’t have been fun for that kid - wasn’t Knight fired not too long after that incident? I remember thinking that it was strange that it was used as the final tipping point. Bet fans ticked that Knight was fired back then, gave plenty of grief to that kid.

I remember it had something to do with how the kid addressed him. Couldn’t have been fun for that kid - wasn’t Knight fired not too long after that incident? I remember thinking that it was strange that it was used as the final tipping point. Bet fans ticked Knight was fired back then, gave plenty of grief to that kid.
He kicked his son during a game in ‘93, head butted Sherron Wilkerson in ‘94, and choked Neil Reed in practice in ‘97.

Flat out amazing he was still coaching in 2000. Guy was a lunatic. It’s too bad never coached Latrell Sprewell, so he could get what he had coming to him.

I think something that is being somewhat overlooked is the fact that knight was treating other grown adults who he had no authority over and who had choice but to cover him like they were kids sent to “scared straight “ camp by their parents .

As abhorrent as he may have treated his players, there WAS some level of permission granted to him as everyone knew what craziness they were signing up for (although the degree of that eventually spun out of control) when they sent their kids to the sociopath.. but this guy is just trying to do his job and knight acts like a baby who lost his pacifier
Larry Bird bolted within a few weeks because he didn’t like Knight’s antics. And he would have been the greatest player ever to play for Knight.

I remember it had something to do with how the kid addressed him. Couldn’t have been fun for that kid - wasn’t Knight fired not too long after that incident? I remember thinking that it was strange that it was used as the final tipping point. Bet fans ticked Knight was fired back then, gave plenty of grief to that kid.
The IU President (Myles Brand?) had already given Knight another shot after a previous controversy (I think it was the video coming out of him choking Neil Reid in practice, for which he should have been fired). He was basically given one last chance and if he messed up again, he was gonna be out. And then as if on cue, he verbally assaulted and intimidated that student for calling him Knight.

Last edited:
I personally have never yelled at a cloud. What I do instead is stand with my hands on my hips and throw an intense, menacingly stare at the cloud until it gets the point and floats away. I find that works much better.

As for Knight, he is in the Jerk Hall Of Fame. He was always complimentary towards SU but I never liked him. I never had any problem with Indiana. They beat us in ‘87 but it was a clean game, Derrick missed a key free throw, and Triche gave up the jumper to Smart. It happens.

But I never liked Knight. At all.

I personally have never yelled at a cloud. What I do instead is stand with my hands on my hips and throw an intense, menacingly stare at the cloud until it gets the point and floats away. I find that works much better.

As for Knight, he is in the Jerk Hall Of Fame. He was always complimentary towards SU but I never liked him. I never had any problem with Indiana. They beat us in ‘87 but it was a clean game, Derrick missed a key free throw, and Triche gave up the jumper to Smart. It happens.

But I never liked Knight. At all.
Aside from the 27 moving picks (I counted) that were not called, it was a clean game.

Aside from the 27 moving picks (I counted) that were not called, it was a clean game.
I don’t consider a moving pick dirty. It is a foul and should be called, although I made a living with moving picks everytime I played as a kid.

To me, “dirty” is clutching, grabbing, elbowing, etc

I don’t hold it against the Hoosiers that the refs allowed moving picks. If it was not being called, I would do it too.

• During the 1979 Pan American Games in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Knight was accused of assaulting a police officer while coaching the US Basketball team before a practice session. He was later convicted in absentia and given a six-month jail sentence, but extradition efforts by the Puerto Rican government were not successful.[2]
  • Women's groups nationwide were outraged by Knight's comments during an April 1988 interview with Connie Chung in which he said, "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."
  • An Indiana investigation inquired about an allegation in which Knight berated and physically intimidated a university secretary, once throwing a potted plant in anger, showering her with glass and debris.

• During the 1979 Pan American Games in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Knight was accused of assaulting a police officer while coaching the US Basketball team before a practice session. He was later convicted in absentia and given a six-month jail sentence, but extradition efforts by the Puerto Rican government were not successful.[2]
  • Women's groups nationwide were outraged by Knight's comments during an April 1988 interview with Connie Chung in which he said, "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."
  • An Indiana investigation inquired about an allegation in which Knight berated and physically intimidated a university secretary, once throwing a potted plant in anger, showering her with glass and debris.

He’s a complete POS

Ohio upbringing. Lots of men back in the 50s and 60s who grew up in Ohio acted like sociopathic bullies. Something in the water. From janitors and day laborers to lawyers and Bio profs they were all the same; nuts. One thing in common, they were all "athletes".

That kid worked for me. He referred to him as Knight instead of coach Knight. He was harassed for years by IU fans about the incident.
Well, presumably he learned his lesson before he really messed up and called you “Funke.”

Last edited:
Too much male insecurity, always trying to prove to the world they are the ultra manly macho man and toughest SOB around. If you don’t respect me for the superior person I want you to believe I am, then my best coping mechanism is to make you fear me.

Don't think so, I was promoted within a year and running the place in two. Went from that to running a 75 man law firm. Now I am semi- retired and do some consulting work to keep out of trouble. I have had a blessed life both personally and professionally. Worked hard, raised two wonderful, successful children and recently celebrated 44 years of marriage. Not wealthy, but comfortable yet never once went to work in pajamas and slippers. Of course at my age they are lucky if I show up to work in pants.
I’m for the no pants thing.

Sucks we have such a poor record head to head with all the POS psychopath coaches Knight, Pitino, and Calhoun.

Bobby Knight is a trash human being.

Period.

He could *also* coach basketball. But he's trash.

Give me Jim Boeheim and his grumpiness and outbursts towards the local media here and there a 1000x over an absolute awful person like Bobby Knight.

GTFOH with Bobby Knight.

Sucks we have such a poor record head to head with all the POS psychopath coaches Knight, Pitino, and Calhoun.
I wouldn't group together Pitino and Calhoun with Knight. Calhoun and Boeheim actually are incredibly alike personality-wise. Pitino is sleazy in his personal life but I'm not aware of him ever being violent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom