In conference, 40% of 3PA taken by guys who coming to shoot 24% | Syracusefan.com

In conference, 40% of 3PA taken by guys who coming to shoot 24%

Millhouse

Living Legend
ACC only

60% of 3PA were taken who combine to shoot 40%
(Bell Starling Brown)
40% of 3PA were taken who combine to shoot 24%

Not great

ACC only

(Bell Starling Brown)

Not great
Move Starling and Brown to the lower shooting side and it probably doesn’t look too much better, this team couldn’t shoot at all.

Move Starling and Brown to the lower shooting side and it probably doesn’t look too much better, this team couldn’t shoot at all.
They both shot well in conference

Quincy Guerrier shot 38.1% from 3 and averaged 11/7 this year.

He could have helped.

Starling started to regress again at the end of the season. He finished 15 for 48(31%) his last 9 games after a real hot stretch in late january/early february.
I didn't know how common out is to have a nine game stretch like that. But that's still better than mintz's whole career

copeland making the game winning three may have been the turning point of this season.
after that he seemed to think he had the green light to go full globetrotter mode the rest of the way. and he made some amazing low % circus dipsy doo shots and passes.very fun.
then the % caught up.

Last edited:
ACC only

(Bell Starling Brown)

Not great
The 3pt shooting was a disappointing surprise this year.

I didn't have high expectations for JJ so his lumpy and mediocre 32.4% was expected. On the other hand:

Benny shot 39.6% last season, so I had him as the IGGY 3pt leader, but his shooting collapsed with the rest of his game - what a shame all around.
JT shot 39.3% last season, and he had a shooter's pedigree, but it looks like he changed his shot by starting it almost behind his head this season and the result was not good. Why change!? ESPN has him at 30.1% this season which seems high to me - I would have guessed ~20% as he only made 5 of them after new years day. A shocking decline and one that doesn't happen often. Not a good look for GMac if he is the 3pt shooting coach.
Mintz shot 45% the last ten games of last season, and 46.5% in the last 12 games. That was a good enough and long enough stretch to get my hopes up, so his 28.2% this season was another major disappointment. Again, not a good look for GMac.

Interesting that Maliq shot 36.8% on low volume but enough to make defenses think about it. Everyone wants a big who can shoot the 3; well we sort of have one. Note that almost all of his 3s seemed were taken at the top of the key, not sure he can make them elsewhere, but he probably doesn't have to.

All stats from ESPN.

The 3pt shooting was a disappointing surprise this year.

I didn't have high expectations for JJ so his lumpy and mediocre 32.4% was expected. On the other hand:

Benny shot 39.6% last season, so I had him as the IGGY 3pt leader, but his shooting collapsed with the rest of his game - what a shame all around.
JT shot 39.3% last season, and he had a shooter's pedigree, but it looks like he changed his shot by starting it almost behind his head this season and the result was not good. Why change!? ESPN has him at 30.1% this season which seems high to me - I would have guessed ~20% as he only made 5 of them after new years day. A shocking decline and one that doesn't happen often. Not a good look for GMac if he is the 3pt shooting coach.
Mintz shot 45% the last ten games of last season, and 46.5% in the last 12 games. That was a good enough and long enough stretch to get my hopes up, so his 28.2% this season was another major disappointment. Again, not a good look for GMac.

Interesting that Maliq shot 36.8% on low volume but enough to make defenses think about it. Everyone wants a big who can shoot the 3; well we sort of have one. Note that almost all of his 3s seemed were taken at the top of the key, not sure he can make them elsewhere, but he probably doesn't have to.

All stats from ESPN.
I loved the shooting form thread from a while back. There are just too many flaws and it makes me wonder about the seriousness of these players or their willingness to listen.

Mintz and Williams especially. Taylor has a bad shot from the eighties but is at least something that we have seen before. The other two, how do you get to this point shooting like that. Anyone can have stretches but they're doing it all wrong, they had to have been told, and they just kept doing it the wrong way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom