In how many stadiums have you attended football games... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

In how many stadiums have you attended football games...

Syracuse
Cornell
UMass
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
LP Field for Music City Bowl

I'd say either Tennessee or Clemson was the best. I look forward to Louisville and LSU and will be attending USC - Bama at Jerryworld which should be a lot of fun too.

Good Topic.

College Games ...

UB Stadium (Buffalo)
Alumni Stadium (BC)
Kelly/Shorts Stadium (CMU)
Beaver Stadium (Penn St)
MetLife
Orange Bowl

Pro Games ...

Rich Stadium
Veteran's Stadium
Foxboro Stadium
Gillette Stadium
Raymond James Stadium

Both Games ...

Meadowlands

Kev

All these long lists have me thinking I'm not much of a football fan. I've only seen most of your places when they're empty during basketball season.

Carrier Dome
Kyle Field
Andy Kerr
Schoellkopf Field
where Georgetown plays
Fisher Stadium (Lafayette)
Goodman Stadium (Lehigh)

I think that's it, really short list. Lehigh-Lafayette is a really great rivalry; Lehigh's been the better team, but their stadium is this horrible antiseptic place on a barren hilltop far from the town and the academic campus. It's awful. Lafayette's is cool.

Andy Kerr would be the worst, but it's featured in my avatar (that was a fun day), so I'll rank it slightly ahead of Georgetown. Georgetown plays on a turf field with a couple bleachers scattered around. It's only good for standing on the hillside while drinking and heckling Georgetown fans.

Kyle Field is fun, saw Oklahoma beat TAMU there a few years back. Incredible tailgate scene (without acres of ugly parking lots, no less). Very un-Dome-like in its lack of ads and canned music. Crazy student section with choreographed cheers and yells (rehearsed at midnight the previous night, when the bars let out and thousands of people come into the stadium and are allowed field access). Incredibly hot on the student side on a sunny day.

Better than those: the Dome for Miami in 1992 and West Virginia in 1997 and a number of other games.

Fun thinking back (some more than others)...

SU Football only

Dome
Penn State (SU vs Penn State 2009)
Louisville (SU vs Louisville 2011)
Ohio State (OSU vs. Mich State 2011)
Lincoln Financial (SU vs Temple 2012)
Missouri (SU vs Missouri 2012)
Yankee Stadium (Pinstripe Bowl SU vs. West VA 2012)
Nippert Stadium (SU vs Cincinnati 2012)
Georgia Tech (SU vs. Georgia Tech 2013)
Northwestern (SU vs Northwestern 2013)
Heinz Field (SU vs Pitt 2014)

Feels like I'm really paying for seeing 3 wins in 2012 with the last three efforts I've seen.

Navy, penn state, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, met life, WV. ND wins not because their stadium was totally awesome but rather the simple sincere greeting that I got from the ticket taker who was dressed nicely in a ND blazer and tie. " welcome to ND stadium, we are please you are here. Is this your first visit? If you need anything my name is xxxxxx and you come and get me and I will help you".

I've seen SU football at the following:
The Dome
Meadowlands
Yankee Stadium (new)
BC
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
Tallahassee
Tennessee
Auburn
Gator Bowl
Champs Bowl
Northwestern
VA Tech
Notre Dame
WVU

Since others have mentioned MLB venues, here's my list I've been to:
Yankee Stadium (old & new)
Shea
Citifield
Fenway Park
Camden Yards
Citizens Bank Park
Nationals Park
PNC Park
Wrigley
Comiskey (whatever they call it now)
Miller Park
Metrodome
Target Field
Safeco

Well compared to the rest of you, this will not wow you.

Carrier Dome
Archbold stadium
Giants Stadium (old) vs Wisconsin
Andy Kerr (Colgate)
Michie Stadium (Army), we lost!

For basketball
Carrier Dome
Manley

For Baseball
MacArthur and P&C/NBT
Memorial Stadium (Baltimore)
Camden Yards

Wow right?

Carrier Dome - since birth
Fenway- more than 10 times

Fenway is so over-rated. Start with uncomfortable seats with terrible sightlines. The concourse is narrow and the bathrooms look like something out of a "Saw" movie. And Fenway Franks are Grade E edible. There's a reason Ben Affleck could almost knock over the stadium in The Town. The whole set-up is a mess to begin with.

cmr27 said:
Fenway is so over-rated. Start with uncomfortable seats with terrible sightlines. The concourse is narrow and the bathrooms look like something out of a "Saw" movie. And Fenway Franks are Grade E edible. There's a reason Ben Affleck could almost knock over the stadium in The Town. The whole set-up is a mess to begin with.

Nothing like Fenway.

Sorry, my friend.

Carry on.

This Yankees fan respectfully disagrees with you. Fenway is wonderful BECAUSE of its anachronistic quirkiness. I grew up in the Polo Grounds and the Old, Old Yankee Stadium. I love Fenway because it has the same feeling. You're close to the field, and you feel the history of the place. It is so much better an experience than the cookie-cutter stadiums that replaced all its contemporaries (except for Wrigley Field).

This Yankees fan respectfully disagrees with you. Fenway is wonderful BECAUSE of its anachronistic quirkiness. I grew up in the Polo Grounds and the Old, Old Yankee Stadium. I love Fenway because it has the same feeling. You're close to the field, and you feel the history of the place. It is so much better an experience than the cookie-cutter stadiums that replaced all its contemporaries (except for Wrigley Field).
I am with cto on this. Fenway and Wrigley, despite their relative lack of modern amenities, are the best places to watch a baseball game. Props to some of the recent parks though, which are a heck of a lot better than the awful multi-purpose stadia built in the latter part of the last century.

Football - Dome, West Point, Yankee Stadium, Rutgers, Alumni, Meadowlands (Giants & Metlife), Folsom Field (Colorado), Mile High - I think I'm forgetting a few here

Basketball - Dome, MSG, Brendan Byrne, wherever Villanova used to play 20 years ago, wherever the Sixers played years ago

Baseball - Yankee Stadium x 2, Shea, Fenway, Coors Field, Candlestick, wherever the Phillies played 20+ years ago

Love the Dome when it's rocking. I'm like a little kid... still enamored of being able to go in there on a cold and miserable day and not have to worry about the weather at all. Outside, Folsom field in Colorado is so hard to beat. Sitting on the East side of the stadium and looking up at the flat irons while the sun goes down is unbelievable.

I've had great times in both Fenway and Wrigley. Much like the old Yankee Stadium, it's an experience. Sure, sitting in right field at Fenway and trying to see home plate still hurts my neck. And my first row upper deck seat from my last Wrigley trip was a couple of hours of trying not to fall out of the seat that was at a 45 degree angle to the ground.

Wrigley is probably the best place I've been to when it comes to pre-game, post-game around the stadium. It's a party where everyone seems to get along...while destroying their liver with cheap beer.

I love you because you are a Syracuse fan, but i have to say that is the craziest thing ive ever read. Are the seats uncomfortable? YEA. I am a big dude and don't fit in the majority of the seats in fenway lol...THIS DOESNT MATTER. You can feel the history in Fenway. Walk through the bowels of the stadium and its like the place is alive. The bathrooms are without question scary...but its part of the charm? Fenway is one of the coolest stadiums in the World in my opinion and it will be a damn shame when it gets taken down.

Football Stadia:

Carrier Dome
Alumni Stadium
Pitt Stadium
Veterans Stadium
Sun Devil Stadium
Tampa Stadium (the Sombrero)
Raymond James Stadium
Louisiana Superdome
Georgia Dome
Yankee Stadium
Campus Field (Sacred Heart)
MetLife Stadium
Giants Stadium
Rich Stadium
Rutgers Stadium
Byrd Stadium
Rentschler Field
Darrell Royal Stadium
Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium
Gillette Stadium

Other venues:

Fenway Park
Exhibition Stadium
Camden Yards
Shea Stadium
Citi Field
AT&T Park
Wrigley Field
McCoy Stadium
MacArthur Stadium
P&C Stadium
Champion Stadium (Braves spring training)
Webster Bank Arena
Ballpark at Harbor Yard
New Britain Stadium
Giant Center (Hershey Bears)
Madison Square Garden
Energy Solutions Arena (Utah Jazz)
XL Center
Gampel Pavillion
Conte Forum
Boston Garden
TD Garden
TD Bank Sports Center (Quinnipiac hockey)
Ingalls Rink (Yale Hockey)

I'm probably forgetting some. There's still a ton of places I'd like to see a game at.

I love you because you are a Syracuse fan, but i have to say that is the craziest thing ive ever read... The bathrooms are without question scary...but its part of the charm? Fenway is one of the coolest stadiums in the World in my opinion and it will be a damn shame when it gets taken down.
Total respect back and I value and respect history. Just because something is old doesn't make it good though. The Palestra in Philly is old too but every seat is a good one. There's enough room to move around. I'm definitely in the minority though and appreciate your take.

i gotta give the thinkers at Fenway credit, that place is an absolute dump and smaller than AA Trenton Thunder, but theyve done a lot of work to add more seats and make it cool. i remember pre-roof seats and of course pre-monster seats, those are nice additions.

i will use this medium to get on my soapbox and set the record straight on the Yankee Stadiums.

the old one had to go.

no question about it.

listen, i get that the vibe is different with all the bougie fools in the close seats, but if you went to the old stadium...and by went i mean went more than even say 10x a year...you knew it had to go.

the bathrooms were mop closets that overflowed by the 4th inning (which is still 5 innings after they overflowed at Shea, yes the math is correct..get it). the concourse and hallways made the ones at old MSG seem expansive. there wasnt enough food stands and there clearly wasnt enough beer stands. they were lacking the beer stands so bad, they actually had mobile beer stands because they didnt have the infrastructure to have enough food and beer concessions for the crowds they were getting. they kept the kegs literally in mop closets and well...enjoy that 24oz warm beer in may, its only gonna get worse. im not a tall guy, but my knees were right in the back of the head of the guy in front of me, no matter where i sat.

place was horrible, looked awesome on tv and was loud as fluck...but it had to go.

granted if you only went 1x or 2x a year you might not realize how shlitty it was...because lets face it, it was Yankee Stadium, but the new place is soooo much nicer.

that said, here is my Yankee baseball list as i know you all are anxiously awaiting it...

the Yankee Stadiums
shea
citi
fenway
tropicana
olympic
sky dome
the vet
citizens
3 rivers
pnc
jacobs
camden
comisky 1 & 2...yep never been to wrigley :bang::bang::bang::crazy::crazy::crazy:
turner
anaheim
dodger

I've seen Syracuse play at:

The Dome
The Rent (vs. UCONN, 2011)
Byrd (vs. Maryland, 2013)
Kelly/Shorts (vs. CMU, 2014)
MetLife Stadium (vs. USC, 2012, and vs. PSU, 2013)
New Yankee Stadium (Pinstripe Bowl 2010, 2012)

Other CFB
Villanova Stadium (Villanova vs. Towson, 2012)
Musselman Stadium (3 Gettysburg College games in 2006- Ursinus, Johns Hopkins, and I can't remember the 3rd)

I've been to the Garden twice for Cuse basketball.

I also have CitiField, Shea, New Yankee Stadium, RFK, Rodgers Center (Back when it was SkyDome), and Camden Yards.

Plus, I've been to Vicarage Road (Home of Watford FC) and White Hart Lane (Home of Tottenham Hotspur).

Since its a football board I will only include NCAA & NFL stadiums:

D3:
Butterfield Stadium (every Ithaca College game from 1989-1993, plus a couple others after graduation)
Cortland Stadium (Cortaca in 1990 & 1992, and 2000)

D1:
Carrier Dome (too many to count starting when I was a kid in 1982)
Alumni Stadium (SU vs BC 1998)
Giants Stadium (SU vs GT 2001)
Kyle Field ( TAMU vs K State 2000, TAMU vs ND 2001)
Univ. Buffalo (SU vs UB...2005ish?)
Raymond James Stadium (SU vs USF 2010)
Milan Puskar Stadium (SU vs WVU 2010)

NFL:
Three Rivers Stadium (Dallas vs Pittsburgh 1994)
Toronto SkyDome (Dallas vs Buffalo preseason 1995?)
Texas Stadium (Dallas vs Arizona 1995)
Rich Stadium (now the Ralph) (Dallas vs Buffalo 1996)

*** I did go to Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia Eagles) for the 2006 NCAA Lax final four where SU got spanked by UVA

By far the best experience was @ Kyle Field at Texas A & M. My younger brother went there and there is nothing like Texas Football.

Last edited:
SU Games:
Dome - Multiple games.
Jordan-Hare - Great Game. Great experience.
Superdome - Sucked. Good outcome.
Bobby-Dodd - Really, really Sucked.
Memorial Stadium, Clemson - Great experience. Frustrating game.

Pro:
LP Field & Turner Field.

i gotta give the thinkers at Fenway credit, that place is an absolute dump and smaller than AA Trenton Thunder, but theyve done a lot of work to add more seats and make it cool. i remember pre-roof seats and of course pre-monster seats, those are nice additions.

i will use this medium to get on my soapbox and set the record straight on the Yankee Stadiums.

the old one had to go.

no question about it.

listen, i get that the vibe is different with all the bougie fools in the close seats, but if you went to the old stadium...and by went i mean went more than even say 10x a year...you knew it had to go.

The problem with the new place is that it's just so damn anti-septic. It's really tough to get "charm" and "feel" right when you build a new place, but that's what was lost. I think some of it is the setting. Even if they just could have turned it so that the outfield overlooked the Manhattan skyline that would have helped. It feels like a fortress when you're there, completely disconnected from the world outside.

But I've been to enough new parks that I know it's possible to get the feel right: AT&T Park, Camden Yards, hell even Citi Field has a better atmosphere IMHO. It's a sparkling stadium, no doubt, just lacking in character somehow.

I've seen Syracuse play at:

The Dome
The Rent (vs. UCONN, 2011)
Byrd (vs. Maryland, 2013)
Kelly/Shorts (vs. CMU, 2014)
MetLife Stadium (vs. USC, 2012, and vs. PSU, 2013)
New Yankee Stadium (Pinstripe Bowl 2010, 2012)

Other CFB
Villanova Stadium (Villanova vs. Towson, 2012)
Musselman Stadium (3 Gettysburg College games in 2006- Ursinus, Johns Hopkins, and I can't remember the 3rd)

I've been to the Garden twice for Cuse basketball.

I also have CitiField, Shea, New Yankee Stadium, RFK, Rodgers Center (Back when it was SkyDome), and Camden Yards.

Plus, I've been to Vicarage Road (Home of Watford FC) and White Hart Lane (Home of Tottenham Hotspur).
Nice BPL game is on my bucket list

The problem with the new place is that it's just so damn anti-septic. It's really tough to get "charm" and "feel" right when you build a new place, but that's what was lost. I think some of it is the setting. Even if they just could have turned it so that the outfield overlooked the Manhattan skyline that would have helped. It feels like a fortress when you're there, completely disconnected from the world outside.

But I've been to enough new parks that I know it's possible to get the feel right: AT&T Park, Camden Yards, hell even Citi Field has a better atmosphere IMHO. It's a sparkling stadium, no doubt, just lacking in character somehow.
in a town full of bleeding liberals, one would think that we could invoke the CRA and get some affordable housing down low. thatll fix your anti-septic and lacking in character in a heartbeat.

you can see the skyline, just not from your seats. i dont think they wanted the shadows to fall from the outfield in, instead of from behind home and out. does any park do that??

if you want to see the skyline, just go be a flagpole sitta.

paranoia paranoia everybodys coming to get me...

in a town full of bleeding liberals, one would think that we could invoke the CRA and get some affordable housing down low. thatll fix your anti-septic and lacking in character in a heartbeat.

you can see the skyline, just not from your seats. i dont think they wanted the shadows to fall from the outfield in, instead of from behind home and out. does any park do that??

if you want to see the skyline, just go be a flagpole sitta.

paranoia paranoia everybodys coming to get me...

I get the logistical problem, it's just wild that there are two ballparks in NYC and neither one has an outfield view of the best skyline in America.

But I love that I can get cheap tickets down low on Stubhub for Sox-Yanks games now, so to me the new place is a raging success. ;)

Reactions: cto