In Praise of Bill Walton, the player | Syracusefan.com

In Praise of Bill Walton, the player

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I just saw a NY Times review of Bill Walton's autobiography. In the process of reading the article, there was a link to a clip of Walton highlights from the 1977 NBA Finals against Philly featuring Dr. J. For those of you who aren't that familiar with Walton's game, just spend a few minutes watching this clip.

Walton was the best passing center I've ever seen. When Portland runs the half-court offense and Walton goes to the high post, it's like he's playing "Point-Center". Plus, he absolutely owned Julius Erving with how many times he blocked his shots. Enjoy!

And here's one more - probably the greatest game ever played by a college player - 21-22 from the field in the 1973 NCAA championship against Memphis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAnC4cBXAuY

my brother in law did a bunch of the artwork in the book.

12799150_10154363967260139_7772242451905566811_n.jpg
12814514_10154363967345139_7913353185917893575_n.jpg

He was amazing to see- totally about the team. Tremendous smarts and superb passing ability (probably got a lot of hockey assists). I was at the Memphis State game, 21 for 22... Incredible. Hope someone wearing Orange does that very soon!

I just saw a NY Times review of Bill Walton's autobiography. In the process of reading the article, there was a link to a clip of Walton highlights from the 1977 NBA Finals against Philly featuring Dr. J. For those of you who aren't that familiar with Walton's game, just spend a few minutes watching this clip.

Walton was the best passing center I've ever seen. When Portland runs the half-court offense and Walton goes to the high post, it's like he's playing "Point-Center". Plus, he absolutely owned Julius Erving with how many times he blocked his shots. Enjoy!

And here's one more - probably the greatest game ever played by a college player - 21-22 from the field in the 1973 NCAA championship against Memphis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAnC4cBXAuY
I was a few months shy of 14 years old in 1973 and very impressionable. Bill Walton was my favorite player and UCLA my favorite team. I barely remember the Alcindor vs The Big E game (the first?), but definitely remember those teams (Wicks, Rowe, Allen and then Bibby, Wilkes, Lee, Farmer, Nater). They were loaded. People who never saw him play will never understand how great he was.

He aged very well as I remember how great he was as a geezer with the Celtics helping win a championship.

IIRC, the one shot he missed in the final may have been his easiest. He could easily have been 22-22 from the field. In the NCAA final. Unreal.

I was a few months shy of 14 years old in 1973 and very impressionable. Bill Walton was my favorite player and UCLA my favorite team. I barely remember the Alcindor vs The Big E game (the first?), but definitely remember those teams (Wicks, Rowe, Allen and then Bibby, Wilkes, Lee, Farmer, Nater). They were loaded. People who never saw him play will never understand how great he was.

Yeah, I'm the same age as you. Back then before 24x7 sports coverage and only 3 TV networks, Sports Illustrated was probably as important to sports fans as anything. I remember their profile on the "lost weekend" in Oregon, when UCLA's 88 game win streak was snapped. The game against NC State in the Final Four his senior year was probably the single greatest basketball game I've ever watched.

Here is the ESPN Highlight package of the 1974 Final Four. Wow, what a great game.

Have you ever read Breaks of the Game?

For anyone that is interested in Bill Walton and wants to read a tour de force of sports writing, it's a must-read.

Yes, the one from the Astrodome, i think it was, was a major television event. I remember that one, too. It was like the Moon Landing of college basketball, up to that point.

all this w/ bad knee's guy is incredible. And what I like most about him is he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom