Inbounds Over-and-Back still causes confusion | Syracusefan.com

Inbounds Over-and-Back still causes confusion

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
In the Ohio-UNC game there was an Ohio inbounds pass from under the UNC basket that was caught by an Ohio player who had a foot touching the center line. It's clear that Marv Albert and Steve Kerr were not familiar with last year's Syracuse-Marquette game in the NCAA tournament. Kerr was even taking the ball's position relative to the line into consideration. Kerr indicated that he thought it was a violation even though the referee didn't call it.

To be honest, the referee didn't appear to be sure of things either.

You'd think that last year's incident would've clarified things once and for all.

Crazy!

There's too much going on in a split second to get the call right every time. They have to check for possession, where the ball is, where the feet are, etc... Very difficult.

I think they need to adopt a rule that if possession was established in the half court, you can't inbound the ball into the back court at all.

I agree. It's my choise for the #1 rule change needed in the sport. It makes no sense that a guy saving the ball in bounds can't nscoop it into the backcourt but a guy inboudning it at the same stop can throw it there.

I agree. It's my choise for the #1 rule change needed in the sport. It makes no sense that a guy saving the ball in bounds can't nscoop it into the backcourt but a guy inboudning it at the same stop can throw it there.

The #1 rule change needed is unquestionably the charge. Anything else is a DISTANT #2

balls out of bounds there is no possession there fore no back court established. possesion occurs inbounds not out of bounds.

balls out of bounds there is no possession there fore no back court established. possesion occurs inbounds not out of bounds.

If possession hasn't been created, why wouldn't the shot clock re-set?

if there is no change of possession the clock doesn't reset. there are lots of rules about this.. one being if you have a tie up and you take the ball out of bounds and then the D commits a foul before you inbound the ball, you get the ball again on the next tie up. no change of possession has occurred until the ball is inbounded.

If you are inbounding the ball, you possess it.

If you are inbounding the ball, you possess it.
Especially if you called a timeout like Louisville just did. They were in their half court and had possession.
Doesn't seem right that they can inbound the ball back into the other half of the court after that.

What would you change about the charge rule?

the amount of times its called.

it is BY FAR the #1 reason pro fans cant stomach college ball. it kills ratings.

the amount of times its called.

it is BY FAR the #1 reason pro fans cant stomach college ball. it kills ratings.

Maybe the pros could call traveling once in a while?

Maybe the pros could call traveling once in a while?

I hate pro Bball. Not going to defend any of it.

But for people that do love the pros, they always talk about the charge rule in college.

I would love to see the amount of charges/blocks in college vs the NBA. I would bet it would be pretty extraordinary.