Indiana didn't even make the NIT this year | Syracusefan.com

Indiana didn't even make the NIT this year

I'm sure they turned it down, if offered... just as I hope Syracuse would.

If you're a team that never makes a tournament or is in rebuilding mode then you take it. If you're an established program that has a down year then you skip it.

NIT had some interesting matchups - GTown vs. West Virginia and FSU vs. FGCU

that's going to escalate the talks of buying out Crean's contract (as crazy as it is considering his last 2 seasons) for Mike Woodson

I'm sure they turned it down, if offered... just as I hope Syracuse would.

I think turning it down is crazy. It's a great opportunity to have more practices, experiment with new lineups and get young guys some additional experience. And if you win the NIT or CBI, even though it's meaningless, it still gives your players some confidence heading into the off-season.

I would approach it with the same mentality as our exhibitions in Canada.

I think turning it down is crazy. It's a great opportunity to have more practices, experiment with new lineups and get young guys some additional experience. And if you win the NIT or CBI, even though it's meaningless, it still gives your players some confidence heading into the off-season.

who knows? some players/teams have high expectations of a season and just want the season to be over.

who knows? some players/teams have high expectations of a season and just want the season to be over.

If it was us, and CJ Fair decided that he didn't want to play in a lesser tourney, I'd respect his wishes and let him sit out. But I guarantee guys like Patterson, Roberson and BJ would be chomping at the bit to get a bunch of playing time and build momentum heading into next year.

Talk about a fall from grace...
Just imagine how the many entitled members of the SU fan base would react if this sort of thing happened here with some regularity.

Well the good news is Brad Stevens is probably going to get the axe in Boston soon which should coincide with Tom Crean getting the axe and he can slide right in.
I thought Stevens gets a pass for at least three years to rebuild, no?

Well the good news is Brad Stevens is probably going to get the axe in Boston soon which should coincide with Tom Crean getting the axe and he can slide right in.

I don't think so. He's got a pass from Ainge until they get some real players. He kept that team competitive for as long as possible.

It's not like he's coaching the Milwaukee Bucks, he's coaching one of the marquee franchises. I bet he will be very successful once some more pieces are in place.

I don't think so. He's got a pass from Ainge until they get some real players. He kept that team competitive for as long as possible.

It's not like he's coaching the Milwaukee Bucks, he's coaching one of the marquee franchises. I bet he will be very successful once some more pieces are in place.

He's a college coach and will always be a college coach. He doesnt belong in the NBA and once he realizes that (much like Pitnio did) he will be back in the college game sooner than later.

I don't know. I'm sure the seniors/upperclassmen could care a less. And, if they know that line-ups are going to be experimented with for the up & comers next year, they really aren't going to practice with much effort. I doubt I would, wouldn't want to risk injury, etc. for something so meaningless. Additionally, the season is a grind, especially in BCS type conferences. So, with such a meaningless exhibition (post season vs. pre-season a la the Canadian one) having the mental capacity to go a little longer for nothing, is kind of futile if you ask me. I'd say focus on your academics, strength & conditioning, etc. and other aspects of one's game that needs improvement. Take a little time off to clear your mind...using it to get reenergized for next season, etc.

If it was us, and CJ Fair decided that he didn't want to play in a lesser tourney, I'd respect his wishes and let him sit out. But I guarantee guys like Patterson, Roberson and BJ would be chomping at the bit to get a bunch of playing time and build momentum heading into next year.
The only way I'd be cool with it is if we did just that - empty the bench.

Jeez, I'm such a junkie that I'd be really disappointed if this was our situation. I'd love to have some games where the young fellas can improve and it is potentially a few more weeks of instruction from the HoF'er. I feel that Hakim Warrick really improved during the 2002 NIT, for instance.

It depends on the current attitude of your players. The decision has to be made with the coach and what is best for the team... not purely about the stature of your program.

Some teams will react better to it than others. If the season is a train wreck, your locker room is lost, and you know your team is likely to lay an egg in the first game because they don't respect it -- then that is a situation its best to just pass, nothing positive will come from the experience.

If the team is in a good mindset, they will be committed to the tourney, and you know you can use it for your development, I think it is a great opportunity.

Why is he going to get the axe? He has only been there one year, and The Celtics are in full rebuilding mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom