Injuries/inexperience/pandemic are concerns but this coaching staff have flat out sucked | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Injuries/inexperience/pandemic are concerns but this coaching staff have flat out sucked

This is really starting to feel like Shafers final year where there was a strong contingent of board members who couldn't see the writing on the wall. When Syracuse.com has an article asking where this embarrassing loss ranks on the all time scale, the parties over.

So sad, so true.
it’s been nice knowing you, Dino.
Don’t bring any cigars into the Dome when you come to visit down the road, please.

This is really starting to feel like Shafers final year where there was a strong contingent of board members who couldn't see the writing on the wall. When Syracuse.com has an article asking where this embarrassing loss ranks on the all time scale, the parties over.

When you've lost Jeremy, you've lost Middle America.

Or at least Middle Central NY.

I was quite vocal about dumping Shafer as we neared the end of his third season. I’m not there yet with Babers.

There are legitimate reasons why this season is rough. That doesn’t account for all of the suck, but it does contribute to a lot of it.

It seems right to give Dino next year to try and turn things around. It may not be likely — the QB situation alone might doom us — but I think it’s worth knowing for sure.

So sad, so true.
Don’t bring any cigars into the Dome when you come to visit down the road, please.
This is the post of the year.

Dino is a “sell” in my eyes. But I do think things will bounce back next year. Will we be 10 wins? No. Will we be at least 5? Yes, absolutely.

The hard question will be what we do if we go 6-6. I think we keep him, but in a short leash.

I'm not going around the should we fire not fire dance like last time, that was a trainwreck.
I'll just say I'll be shocked at this point if he is fired, now if the season gets lower and the team really really implodes I could see ADJW pulling the plug.

I'm not going around the should we fire not fire dance like last time, that was a trainwreck.
I'll just say I'll be shocked at this point if he is fired, now if the season gets lower and the team really really implodes I could see ADJW pulling the plug.

Next week should be really telling in regards to the 2nd half of your last sentence...:oops:

No pulling the plug please. From here on out every game is an experience and teaching opportunity for this team. It’s no fun getting your butts kicked every week but it will build character and hopefully put a chip on the players shoulder for next year. No quitting. No excuses because of COVID. Time to man up. Dino needs to be a leader and find the positives to motivate his players. Won’t be easy but that is what he is getting paid to do right now. Winning is out of reach but rebuilding is not!

I was quite vocal about dumping Shafer as we neared the end of his third season. I’m not there yet with Babers.

There are legitimate reasons why this season is rough. That doesn’t account for all of the suck, but it does contribute to a lot of it.

It seems right to give Dino next year to try and turn things around. It may not be likely — the QB situation alone might doom us — but I think it’s worth knowing for sure.
Yeah, this is about where I feel.

It seemed at one time like Dino had answers. Doesn't feel that way anymore. Could anyone have answers under these conditions this season, and with these kinds of injuries?

I don't know. I don't want to believe Dino's changed, but I don't see the guy that's on the attack. I don't see the guy that had coaches tell their players to fake cramps on defense. I don't see the guy that said neener neener, we have a Dome and you don't.

That's the guy we need.

So sad, so true.

Dino is a “sell” in my eyes. But I do think things will bounce back next year. Will we be 10 wins? No. Will we be at least 5? Yes, absolutely.

The hard question will be what we do if we go 6-6. I think we keep him, but in a short leash.

No pulling the plug please. From here on out every game is an experience and teaching opportunity for this team. It’s no fun getting your butts kicked every week but it will build character and hopefully put a chip on the players shoulder for next year. No quitting. No excuses because of COVID. Time to man up. Dino needs to be a leader and find the positives to motivate his players. Won’t be easy but that is what he is getting paid to do right now. Winning is out of reach but rebuilding is not!
I'm not sold that the team isn't quitting and/or hasn't already.

But I agree that this can be salvaged if all the players make the most of it. It's far easier said by me than done by them, but we *can* field a good football team if these kids dig deep and act in a way that most 18-24 year olds wouldn't.

Dino needs two winning seasons to get off the hot seat IMO.

I would love for Dino to stay. But IMO there is zero chance of him turning this around running this O the way he wants it. If he were to pull a Marrone preseason 2012 and totally scrap his O, I would love to see Dino stay as I think he generally is a good HC for us. The good news is that Dino has been a part of many different O systems throughout his career so he isn't a one trick pony. The bad news is most HCs are stubborn and will go down with the ship.

If he were to cater the O to the talent he has and/or can get here, plus use a dual threat QB, I think he can and would have success.

How about Dino kicking an onside kick when HE WAS STILL DOWN 2 SCORES AND HAD 8:30 TO PLAY???

That's insane. He doesn't learn
He’s always been a really poor game manager.

I would love for Dino to stay. But IMO there is zero chance of him turning this around running this O the way he wants it. If he were to pull a Marrone preseason 2012 and totally scrap his O, I would love to see Dino stay as I think he generally is a good HC for us. The good news is that Dino has been a part of many different O systems throughout his career so he isn't a one trick pony. The bad news is most HCs are stubborn and will go down with the ship.

If he were to cater the O to the talent he has and/or can get here, plus use a dual threat QB, I think he can and would have success.
The challenge is that the talent he has to work with doesn’t seem to be very good. Tucker seems legit. Outside of that, meh.

The challenge is that the talent he has to work with doesn’t seem to be very good. Tucker seems legit. Outside of that, meh.
what offense is going to work with culpepper, i mean cmon. the offense is fine, half the SEC uses something similar. they have a 5'11 guard who used to play running back trying to block for a guy who can't feel pressure and then a guy who can't throw.

the scheme is fine, the recruiting is bad

what offense is going to work with culpepper, i mean cmon. the offense is fine, half the SEC uses something similar. they have a 5'11 guard who used to play running back trying to block for a guy who can't feel pressure and then a guy who can't throw.

I didn’t say anything about the scheme. I agree that the talent, injuries aside, is subpar. Taj Harris is the Jeremy McNeil of football.

Did I see something on the board earlier today where there are now only 59 scholarship players healthy and/or still on the team?

If that the number is accurate and there are a max of 85 schollies/year, that means 26 either quit/transferred or are injured?
Can anyone provide a list of who are the missing?

Did I see something on the board earlier today where there are now only 59 scholarship players healthy and/or still on the team?

If that the number is accurate and there are a max of 85 schollies/year, that means 26 either quit/transferred or are injured?
Can anyone provide a list of who are the missing?

We started with 80.

Opted out (3):
Adams
Howard
Dawson

Injured and not available (that we know about) (10):
Cisco
Devito
Jordan
Red
Rondi
Froumy
White
P.Davis
D.Davis
Bleich

80-13 = 67

7 of those are true freshman who aren't ready yet, but could play if necessary.

Of the 60 remaining available players, there are always a handful of guys who miss time with various injuries every game.

If fans were allowed in the Dome, we'd have a better idea who's dressed and who's on the sideline not dressed each game.

We routinely rank about 50 for recruiting. Liberty was at 136.

20 players? Is that fact or opinion?
Do not think we loose 20 players. We will loose guys on offensive side for lack of playing time. S. Johnson, possibly Hendricks or maybe one of the freshman. Dino needs to get them in at this point. Taj could leave if he does not grow up. You can be passionate but you are 20 or 21 years old and an upperclassman. Need to act like it.
Defense maybe 1 or 2 guys but a lot of guys are playing so not sure their that upset except for losing.

But is it, really? We seem to be getting OL from the Midwest, defensive players from SC, VA. MD and GA. We're just missing on the WR and QB talent from FL that would complete the roster.

Once players get used to losing, and start to expect to lose, then it takes a long time to turn it around in the locker room.

I don't want to start from scratch just to be bad again. I want this coaching staff to get it right. We are striking out on new hires
Exactly, wildhack is basically going to be guessing, I'd hope he uses a search form but we all know how that usually goes.
For financial reasons he won't be gone and honestly where we are right now is lower than SS's last season.

If we keep dino go 4-8 and look like the 2016 team that'd give the next coach a better shot. If a new coach takes over next year it won't be easy.

Overall I say for financial reasons then the rule everyone keeps eligiblity and can transfer with no penalty, add program is at an all time low since the GROB days, idk how next year can be worse than this, best case he turns it around we make a bowl if not lets hope he at least leaves us near the same shape he got the program when he arrived here.