Injury update per Matt Park tweet.. | Syracusefan.com

Injury update per Matt Park tweet..

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
Matt Park@MattPark1
Participation update: S Shamarko Thomas (bell rung) practicing, not cleared for game yet; WR Jeremiah Kobena (lower body) gametime decision.

I thought it was Kobena's hand, not lower body...

Bell rung?

images

im waiting for the day our injuries are just listed as "body"

I thought kobena had a wrist injury.

shamarko's gotta be playing. contact or not if he had a concussion i doubt he be practicing at all.

it didn't look to me he ever got knocked out.. he was stung but moving his hands the whole time. probably still not good though

I thought kobena had a wrist injury.

shamarko's gotta be playing. contact or not if he had a concussion i doubt he be practicing at all.

There was a blog post earlier this week where they said in previous head injuries the player didn't practice at all the next week. So you might be right, the fact that he's out there (with a no contact white jersey) probably means he's ok to play. He's a senior who doesn't need the practice contact to get ready for this weekend, so just a precaution.

Hope that's the case, because that would mean not only is he playing (which we need), but the injury is not at all serious (which is the better news).

Really hope Kobena can go too.

If it was a minor concussion (which you don't need to be fully "knocked out" to have), and he was running on Tuesday (which is true), he should have been able to workout yesterday running. Barring setback (headaches and such), he can have a functional activity non-contact practice today (basically wearing a white jersey). Again, barring setbacks, Friday he could resume full contact if the coaches so choose and be ready to play on Saturday.

I have no insight but my guess is neither plays. Hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't surprise me on Kobena. They had said previously that the UConn game was more likely.

Wonder if Shamarko will just play when they are guessing run plays.

Really hope Shamarko is good to go.

Are practices closed to the media? I alluded to another injury earlier in the week; surprised no member of the press has mentioned it. The team must do a good job of keeping these things quiet.

Really hope Shamarko is good to go.

Are practices closed to the media? I alluded to another injury earlier in the week; surprised no member of the press has mentioned it. The team must do a good job of keeping these things quiet.

Rahme and Nolan are at least getting their initial 30 to 45 minutes at practice. Not sure if they are being asked to keep anything quiet. Marrone had his pregame press conference this morning, I haven't listened yet.

If there was a concussion of any sort, shamarko would not participate in any form for at the very least 1 week. Head injuries are taken very serious.

Maybe Shamarko will be used only in special situations, they way they used Reddish last week.

If it was a minor concussion (which you don't need to be fully "knocked out" to have), and he was running on Tuesday (which is true), he should have been able to workout yesterday running. Barring setback (headaches and such), he can have a functional activity non-contact practice today (basically wearing a white jersey). Again, barring setbacks, Friday he could resume full contact if the coaches so choose and be ready to play on Saturday.
Some of the longest lasting concussions I've seen resulted from "non-knockout" type of collisions...see Sydney Crosby, Mark Staal and Michael Sauer from the NHL. Let's hope Shamarko's loss of consciousness wasn't as bad as it looked.

The good news is that ST is practicing which means he isn't suffering any concussion like symptoms. All three of the hockey players I mentioned above were unable to perform any physical activities for months after their incidents.

Seems like Shamarko has been practicing all week without incident so unless something jumps out either today or tomorrow I would expect him to play.

Maybe it's possible to be knocked out without suffering a concussion? Shamarko looked unconscious on the turf, but when he regained consciousness he was immediately alert and showed few signs of suffering a concussion. Or maybe he never lost consciousness? Shamarko appeared to be in much better condition immediately after standing up than RG3 did on Sunday after suffering a concussion without losing consciousness. I hope the doctor's find him ready to go!

I doubt shamarko plays. Just speculation obviously, but he really took a lick. Would be surprised if he gets out there.