Injury update per Matt Park tweet.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Injury update per Matt Park tweet..

If there was a concussion of any sort, shamarko would not participate in any form for at the very least 1 week. Head injuries are taken very serious.

But how is "bell rung" not some form of concussion?

The same way "bell rung" is not a medical term.

I get that but am just trying to figure out what it would refer to other than getting hit in the head and feeling a bit woozy, which would basically be considered a concussion, right?

No -ing way is Shamarko playing, did you see him? He didn't know whether to or wind his watch, running and full contact are night and day

SU wants to be consistent with its new policy (upper body, lower body), so it will continue to say "upper body" or "lower body" in its releases. That noted, anyone who attends practice could see Jay Bromley was wearing a boot on his foot during camp, just as anyone can see Kobena's left hand is wrapped. Matt works for SU so he has to abide by the official policy. We don't, and SU has no problem with us writing what we see. Thus, when somebody on a TV or radio show asked me whether Kobena was upper body or lower body I responded it all depends on whether he is scratching his head or his butt at the time.

As for Shamarko, when a player suffers a concussion, even a mild one, I never see him at practice for a week. He is basically told to rest quietly. Shamarko has been running full speed at practice, although he is not hitting. I'm no doctor and could well eat my words, but I think you're wrong IB.

I wouldn't play Shamarko I dont care if he seems fine just let him come back next week. After watching this video at a coaching clinic all my players sit for two weeks after a head injury

My concerns for Shamarko went from... I hope he is fine and will be able to walk again... to... oh good, he looks alright I hope he can return in 3 or 4 weeks... to ... wow, he looks very good (upon going back and watching later)... to ... maybe he didn't suffer a concussion?? because he has been practicing...

On Friday I was moved after that play watching guys take a knee around Shamarko and seeing his long time friend Brandon Sharpe standing over watching intently and even some of the Pitt players take a knee around Shamarko. It was really nice the way everything worked on on Friday, and I hope it continues to work out well.

I am not sure of how reaching of a law it is, but there is a 6 step/day "back to play" procedure that has to be followed by all HS athletes in NYS. As long as no symptoms are present an athlete could return to participate in a game on the 7th day. Again, this is a NYS law that HS have to follow, I am not sure if it is a doctor pushed law or a politician/NYSPHSAA pushed law.

Day 1- light aerobic activity (ie. exercise bike)
Day 2- light running
Day 3- weight lifting
Day 4- non contact sport specific activity
Day 5- light contact sport specific activity
Day 6- full practice

Any symptom at any step sends the athlete back to step 1.

thats interesting about the HS rule, but I don't know of a single school following that guideline for concussions of the half a dozen schools I am pretty closely tied to. Its been once a concussion has been found you are out until pass the computer test and are cleared by the DR, then you go back to practice and if you show no effects off you go. This has been the same for fball/BBall/soccer concussions that I have talked to parents locally.

Do we even know if he got a Concussion? The hit looked awful, and he was definitely knocked out but that doesn't necessarily mean that he actually got a concussion. Maybe I missed it but has their been any confirmation? I just find it odd that he was practicing all week, no player on our team has practiced the week after getting a concussion.

thats interesting about the HS rule, but I don't know of a single school following that guideline for concussions of the half a dozen schools I am pretty closely tied to. Its been once a concussion has been found you are out until pass the computer test and are cleared by the DR, then you go back to practice and if you show no effects off you go. This has been the same for fball/BBall/soccer concussions that I have talked to parents locally.

Did you happen to see the ESPN article about the IMPACT Testing? Basically it is no better than a doctor's visit and something like 21 of the 23 doctor recommendations on the website are from doctors who are invested in the company.

I don't know what the correct answer is, but most schools have the guidelines they are using on their sites and and I asked at the game i was at last night and no one was aware of the rule you posted? must be a disconnect some place.

Matt Park@MattPark1
Participation update: S Shamarko Thomas (bell rung) practicing, not cleared for game yet; WR Jeremiah Kobena (lower body) gametime decision.
I think its stupid and ridiculous to announce injuries and who may or may not play. Also, does anyone know how announcing this stuff is it not a HIPPA violation? I mean athletes don't lose their Buckley Amendment privacy rights for academics, why don't they have their medical privacy rights?
Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I think its stupid and ridiculous to announce injuries and who may or may not play. Also, does anyone know how announcing this stuff is it not a HIPPA violation? I mean athletes don't lose their Buckley Amendment privacy rights for academics, why don't they have their medical privacy rights?
Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

HR and football never mix well.

I don't know what the correct answer is, but most schools have the guidelines they are using on their sites and and I asked at the game i was at last night and no one was aware of the rule you posted? must be a disconnect some place.

That's surprising it is a state law that went into effect July 1. It requires a six-day return to play procedure after clearance by the doctor.

Evidently according to this story, dated 10/4/12, you are not alone in not knowing that there is such a law in effect.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/health&id=8835508

Not a big loss if Kobena can't play.

What makes you say that? He emerged as a contributing WR / deep threat the first few games of the season, helping stretch the field [and defenses].

Not a big loss if Kobena can't play.

Kobena is the biggest loss of all right now. He's the only guy a defense thinks can get behind them.

What makes you say that? He emerged as a contributing WR / deep threat the first few games of the season, helping stretch the field [and defenses].

I must have missed this. How many deep balls did he catch?

I must have missed this. How many deep balls did he catch?

Go back and look up the boxscores to see how Kobena performed. You might be surprised, based upon your comment above.

And stretching the field isn't just about being the recipient of the pass.

Go back and look up the boxscores to see how Kobena performed. You might be surprised, based upon your comment above.

And stretching the field isn't just about being the recipient of the pass.

I haven't heard of many WRs who are nationally known and highly regarded for "stretching the field". I can't see this as being one of the reasons why we would pick a recruit. "Well coach, he can't catch a ball but he can certainly stretch the field!"

Ok, just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I haven't heard of many WRs who are nationally known and highly regarded
"stretching the field". I can't see this as being one of the reasons why we would pick a recruit. "Well coach, he can't catch a ball but he can certainly stretch the field!"

Ok, just arguing for the sake of arguing.

No worries. At the very least, Kobena was another receiver, and a guy who was wracking up yardage [keep in mind that he is a true sophomore, and this is the first year that he really saw the field in that capacity]. I don't get what you mean by "can't catch the ball" -- in the first two games before he got hurt, he had 5 receptions for 101 yards [20 per catch] before he got hurt.

I'm not suggesting by any means--just to be clear--that Kobena is Quinton Spotwood, or that he is close to being a polished product like some of the wideouts we've had in the past. But at the very least having more weapons is better than having fewer weapons. And Kobena is the lone WR we have who has deep speed. Which means when he's out there that defenses need to account for him, and even if the ball doesn't go his way, the coverage having a deep threat entails opens things up for other players.