Instead of 4x16 super conferences, why not 4x18? | Syracusefan.com

Instead of 4x16 super conferences, why not 4x18?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
4x16 gets you 64 teams. While that seems like a nice, simple number (similar to the NCAA tourney), it leaves quite a few quality teams out of the picture.

The other option is 5x16, but the 5th conference (Big East/B 12 remnants) will be very weak, especially if WVU and some others go elsewhere.

4 x 18 seems like a much better arrangement.

You really have 8 conferences of 9 teams. 9 teams is ideal because you have 4home/4away games each year in your division. You play 1 or 2 crossover games vs the other division. You are able to schedule a game vs another conference. It's possible they expand the season to 13 games to allow for more flexibility in scheduling.

With 4x18 you have 72 total teams in the BCS conferences. I haven't done the cuts, but it appears that would give enough room for all of the teams that risk being left out (Boise St, Lville, Cinci, TCU), but it would also force the independents IN (BYU, Notre Dame).

I'm wondering if the champions of the four conferecnes in fooball might spend a weekend in December playing eachother with the two winners meeting for the national title in the bowl game. 1) Win your divison. 2) Win cour conferecne. 3) Win a semi-finals gme. 4) Win the national championship. (Sorry, Boise.)

I'm wondering if the champions of the four conferecnes in fooball might spend a weekend in December playing eachother with the two winners meeting for the national title in the bowl game. 1) Win your divison. 2) Win cour conferecne. 3) Win a semi-finals gme. 4) Win the national championship. (Sorry, Boise.)
That's the natural progression. Seems like the best playoff like scenario you are going to get.

Two things:
1) Division games instantly become the most important games of the year.
2) It will diminish the bowl season, but I can see a scenario where the 2nd place team from ACC plays second place from PAC, 2nd from SEC plays 2nd from B1G, 3rd from ACC plays 3rd from SEC, 3rd from B1G plays 3rd from PAC, and so on down the line. That could create a decent "overall best conference" bowl setup. It would keep fans of conferences interested in bowl games for bragging rights.

That's the natural progression. Seems like the best playoff like scenario you are going to get.

Two things:
1) Division games instantly become the most important games of the year.
2) It will diminish the bowl season, but I can see a scenario where the 2nd place team from ACC plays second place from PAC, 2nd from SEC plays 2nd from B1G, 3rd from ACC plays 3rd from SEC, 3rd from B1G plays 3rd from PAC, and so on down the line. That could create a decent "overall best conference" bowl setup. It would keep fans of conferences interested in bowl games for bragging rights.

All but one bowl game has nothing to do with the national championship now but they keep creating more of them. "A playoff will kill the bowls" is and always was bunk.