Interesting factoid about our rising senior class... | Syracusefan.com

Interesting factoid about our rising senior class...

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
Out of the 17 scholarship players going into their final season of eligibility, all but two of them (Loeb, Phillips) played as true freshmen (or if a transfer, true juniors). 88.2%. 14 of the 17 seniors still have a redshirt year available (Rishard Anderson redshirted as a soph due to injury).

That's crazy.

Syracuse has finally reached the point again where we have the luxury of redshirting players due to actually having depth typical of a normal college football program.

In fact, I think there are a few non-frosh players who the staff should redshirt in 2013. Specifically Adonis Moore. With Jerome Smith and Tyson Gulley coming back, along with the heralded RSFr. George Morris being eligible to play as a 3rd RB, I think it would be in the program's best interest to redshirt Moore so he can come back in 2014 as a junior with two years to go.

Even if that doesn't become reality, it's nice that we're even able to consider it now.

Charley Loeb, QB
*Tyson Gulley, RB
*Christopher Clark, WR
*Adrian Flemming, WR
Andy Phillips, OT
*Mackey MacPherson, OL
*Beckett Wales, TE
*Markus Brewster, DE
*Zian Jones, DT
*Davon Walls, DT
*Jay Bromley, DT
*Marquis Spruill, LB
*Lewellyn Coker, LB
*Keon Lyn, CB
Rishard Anderson, CB
*Jeremi Wilkes, S
*Ross Krautman, K

* Redshirt season available

Syracuse has finally reached the point again where we have the luxury of redshirting players due to actually having depth typical of a normal college football program.

Actually the better schools always play true frosh. The real good HS kids don't want to redshirt. But you have to be able to recruit the top players.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Actually the better schools always play true frosh. The real good HS kids don't want to redshirt. But you have to be able to recruit the top players.

But we aren't talking about blue chip recruits. We're talking two-star players we beat out Toledo and Buffalo for.

I'd be interested to see if there's ever been a power program not facing sanctions that played 88.2% of their true freshmen.

But we aren't talking about blue chip recruits. We're talking two-star players we beat out Toledo and Buffalo for.

I'd be interested to see if there's ever been a power program not facing sanctions that played 88.2% of their true freshmen.

Oh. You're talking just SU. Thought you said typical program.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Oh. You're talking just SU. Thought you said typical program.

Well, back in the 90's and early 00's I considered Syracuse a "typical" program from a depth/numbers standpoint and redshirting players. Are you saying it's typical to only redshirt 10% of your recruiting class?

In fact, I think there are a few non-frosh players who the staff should redshirt in 2013. Specifically Adonis Moore. With Jerome Smith and Tyson Gulley coming back, along with the heralded RSFr. George Morris being eligible to play as a 3rd RB, I think it would be in the program's best interest to redshirt Moore so he can come back in 2014 as a junior with two years to go.

AAM played sparingly as a frosh due to injury, and he was only used in the "tank" this year.

If you force the kid to sit out 2013, he'll end up transferring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom