Interesting Peter King comment today in his MMQB column | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Peter King comment today in his MMQB column

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of DM and believe we hand picked a good one. That said, he hasnt demonstrated his ability to put together a whole season yet. Last year we lost the last 5. This year we won 5 of the last 6. Both years there was a massive turnaround mid-year, though not both were positive.

A year from now, this may be a moot point, but Doug shouldn't be on any NFL list right now. Besides, he still has more work to do here.

Marrone was on the watch list four years ago when he was the OC for the Saints - he was a known quantity in the NFL well before he came back to SU.

The "he hasn't put together a whole season" stuff is misguided.

Marrone was on the watch list four years ago when he was the OC for the Saints - he was a known quantity in the NFL well before he came back to SU.

The "he hasn't put together a whole season" stuff is misguided.
Misguided?

He put together two winning seasons leveraged heavily on the back of recruits he didn't bring in the fold. I will concede that without his recruiting we likely weren't a team that would have achieved 7-5, but that is more a function of depth. He really hasnt shown a whole lot that would likely drive an NFL team to get into a bidding war for his services yet. Over 4 years, we've learned that Marrone has done a quality job of learning on the fly. That said, 3 of those years we had an inept offense. 3.75 of those years our SPT has been inept, showing signs of life after the Rutgers game this season. 3 of those years, we have made some boneheaded game management choices..

I fully trust Marrone is the guy for us, but the NFL is a different beast altogether. Any team he takes over is likely to be in rebuilding mode. The NFL is less forgiving than the NCAA. He needs to show sustained success before an NFL team comes calling.

time will tell when the first NFL QB can survive running the spread stuff for more than a yr or two. the only hope is for teams to try and find 2-3 of these types and just plug them in

Misguided?

He put together two winning seasons leveraged heavily on the back of recruits he didn't bring in the fold. I will concede that without his recruiting we likely weren't a team that would have achieved 7-5, but that is more a function of depth. He really hasnt shown a whole lot that would likely drive an NFL team to get into a bidding war for his services yet. Over 4 years, we've learned that Marrone has done a quality job of learning on the fly. That said, 3 of those years we had an inept offense. 3.75 of those years our SPT has been inept, showing signs of life after the Rutgers game this season. 3 of those years, we have made some boneheaded game management choices..

I fully trust Marrone is the guy for us, but the NFL is a different beast altogether. Any team he takes over is likely to be in rebuilding mode. The NFL is less forgiving than the NCAA. He needs to show sustained success before an NFL team comes calling.

Repeat.

Had he not taken the SU job he would have gotten an NFL HC job.

Yep, Tom Brady and Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd and Logan Mankins and all those other guys couldn't keep up.

Chip Kelly was brought in to consult with the Patriots offense and teach them an uptempo style ... I think we all know how that worked out ... I swear I don't think people follow football .. questioning Peter King about this stuff is silly with this connections. The Pats brought in Kelly for a reason and it paid dividends.

Repeat.

Had he not taken the SU job he would have gotten an NFL HC job.

What I find hilarious is how many people here accused Marrone of managing the game with an NFL mentality ... he was better suited to coach at that level when he first got here, he is now finally adapting to the college game and it will pay dividends for us down the road.

time will tell when the first NFL QB can survive running the spread stuff for more than a yr or two. the only hope is for teams to try and find 2-3 of these types and just plug them in
Brady's been running spread for like the last 4 years or so...

Brady's been running spread for like the last 4 years or so...

I assume he means Chip Kelly style, where the QB is a part of the running game. Can a QB sustain that regular beating in Sunday football?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I assume he means Chip Kelly style, where the QB is a part of the running game. Can a QB sustain that regular beating in Sunday football?

The Redskins will find out.

Indeed. Concussion #1 in 0.5 seasons. Suppose the question is "sustains" for how long. Pocket passers certainly have a much longer life expectancy.

Well yeah, because the NFL loves coaches that make questionable decisions on 4th down and aren't sure how to manage their timeouts.

Hey-o!

But seriously, good for coach if true. I agree with the sentiment that it's a good thing when your coach is doing a good enough job that other people want to hire them. Kudos to him.

I could spend a month just talking about Chan Gailey against the Colts this weekend.

It's not that he's always stupidly biased towards kicking, it's that he departs from his stupid bias only in the rare instances where being conservative is the obvious right call

he punted from the colts 34 yard line and threw 3 straight passes from his own 5 yard with less than a minute in the first half.

doddering old turd

there are lots of NFL coaches clearly worse than Marrone

the more teams go up tempo, the less your depth on defense will matter because you won't be able to get them in the game anyway which might free up roster space for more depth at qb allowing you to have them run around more

Ah but who says Kelly has his QB dart around at the NFL level like he does at Oregon?

He won't run a QB at the NFL level. There's no way. Even if he had an RGIII or a Cam Newton or a Mike Vick I think he'd still be more conservative than he is now with running the QB. He's not an idiot, he realizes the difference between Pac12 defenses and the NFL.

He won't run a QB at the NFL level. There's no way. Even if he had an RGIII or a Cam Newton or a Mike Vick I think he'd still be more conservative than he is now with running the QB. He's not an idiot, he realizes the difference between Pac12 defenses and the NFL.
in an interview, he'd just tell them to look at the darron thomas years where he wasn't running that much

Nassib has more rushing "attempts" this year than Darron Thomas had last year

oregon's qbs have big yards because they have so much open field when they do pull the handoff, but they don't run that much more. Mariota has less than 2 attempts per game more than nassib.

Huge asterisk on the college definition of attempt. but it's not like nassib's been on his back all year.

in an interview, he'd just tell them to look at the darron thomas years where he wasn't running that much

Nassib has more rushing "attempts" this year than Darron Thomas had last year

oregon's qbs have big yards because they have so much open field when they do pull the handoff, but they don't run that much more. Mariota has less than 2 attempts per game more than nassib.

Huge asterisk on the college definition of attempt. but it's not like nassib's been on his back all year.

But Oregon's backup QB has 37 attempts. Their total QB rushing attempts are 137, SU's is 79. When you're winning every game by 35 points at halftime, I wouldn't expect you to give your starting QB many 2nd half opportunities to get hit. Mariota ran it 27 times in their 2 closest games (Stanford and USC).

I still think it's a big part of their offense this year. Or at least the threat of it being part of your offense helps open up space for the QB. Defense can't be everywhere.

Maybe Kelly won't do anything like that in the NFL. I'd take my chances with him. I was just responding that bnoro kind of missed upper's point. Whether upper had a valid point (because no one would try to have a running QB in the NFL), is another story.