Interesting piece on the Sixers | Syracusefan.com

Interesting piece on the Sixers

dyedorange

Marginally on Topic
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12318808/the-philadelphia-76ers-radical-guide-winning

An excerpt about Grant caught my eye:

Consider Jerami Grant, whom Philly took 39th out of Syracuse in June. Grant signed a four-year deal that guaranteed his first two seasons for $885,000 and $845,000, respectively, some $300,000 more annually than the league-minimum salary of many second-rounders. That financial security was catnip to him and no sweat to the Sixers, who certainly have cap space on their delayed production schedule. But the key twist -- just as it was with Parsons -- is that the forward's third and fourth years are neither guaranteed nor big raises. This template led guard K.J. McDaniels, the 32nd pick in June, to reject Hinkie's four-year offer in favor of a one-year, unguaranteed deal. And by those latter two seasons, when the Sixers do plan to spend, Grant will be something very different: either an underpriced keeper -- "He's one of those guys, for me, that makes me want to hug Sam," Brown recently gushed -- or someone you can cut loose at zero cost. In both cases, he will be a team-friendly asset and maybe one day, if Hinkie plays his cards right, a detail in a PowerPoint slide.

It's really kind of disturbing when you look at Grant's situation from the perspective of the team. He's viewed as a low-risk asset that they can control. I know this is management 101, but Grant is just so OWNED, I feel awful for the guy.

I know there are people making the argument that he made the right choice to leave early, and the proof is that he's playing (and sometimes playing well) for the Sixers right now. But if you consider that the Sixers were really the only team that was interested in giving him an opportunity to play this year, and that Grant essentially accepted a contract with terms massively in favor of the team in order to have that opportunity, it looks like he's made a pretty poor choice, financially-speaking at least. Wish him the best though and hopefully he plays his ass off and has a max contract waiting for him in four years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom