Interesting Tweets From Providence | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Tweets From Providence

Here's another doozy. McMurphy says the BE exit fees will be raised to $10 million only if Navy and Air Force agree to join the conference. What???

Several intriguing tweets from the Providence Journal's Kevin McNamara within the past hour:

http://twitter.com/#!/KevinMcNamara33

I hope the ACC isn't dumb enough to offer Notre Dame the same sweetheart deal the BE has given them.

Would not surprise me. I had heard (not knowing how true) and posted a couple times the past year that discussions were taking place about SU and Pitt to the ACC with some kind of "arrangement" with ND. Don't know how or where those convos went if they even took place. But we have seen that SU and Pitt happened and I have read a couple times that ND felt a "tie" to SU, Pitt and BC of the northeastern schools.

I don't get that at all. Maybe I'm missing it but how does that make sense?

Talking about the exit fee

I guess that could work. 14 schools in the football league and 15 in the basketball league. 3 pods of 5 schools; you play home and away against teams in your pod and one game against everyone else.

That scenario kind of sucks for UCONN and Rutgers however.

Why? It would be great for Syracuse and the ACC.

Just speaking from my heart: I detest Notre Dame and their "speacial place" in the Big East. I can certainly see some benefits for Syracuse in bringing Notre Dame into the conference for sports other than football. The biggest of these is that it keeps Rutgers out of the Big Ten.

Just speaking from my heart: I detest Notre Dame and their "speacial place" in the Big East. I can certainly see some benefits for Syracuse in bringing Notre Dame into the conference for sports other than football. The biggest of these is that it keeps Rutgers out of the Big Ten.

Plus, when/if the Power 16 superconferences ever happens, Notre Dame will have to join for football. There's no downside.

There is a completely different composition and dynamic of ND being an all-sports except FB member of the Big East compared to the same set up for the ACC. However, I don't see it getting enough support in the ACC. IF it did, I think its a much more stable set up because all of the other members of the conference are all sports...and would be unified.

ND thrived on the friction between the hoops and FB schools in the Big East. The FB schools could never force ND's hand.

Not sure if I believe this, but if true could it be the way to get UConn into the ACC sooner rather than later?

There is a completely different composition and dynamic of ND being an all-sports except FB member of the Big East compared to the same set up for the ACC. However, I don't see it getting enough support in the ACC. IF it did, I think its a much more stable set up because all of the other members of the conference are all sports...and would be unified.

ND thrived on the friction between the hoops and FB schools in the Big East. The FB schools could never force ND's hand.

Agree. IMO ND never had thoughts of joining the BE for FB. They used the BE as a spot to park non FB sports and planned to eventually go to the B1G if necessary. Since then, the ACC has added BC, Pitt, and SU and all of a sudden offers ND another option. I believe that ND prefers the ACC vs the B1G if/when they are forced to choose. ND is an Eastern school and private school that fits the ACC mold. However it might be hard for ND to sell the ACC to their fanbase and boosters. So the best way to ease that transition is to play in the ACC for all sports but FB. After say 5-10 years the ND fans will be familiar with ACC sports and have a connection to the ACC. They won't want to give that up to play Mich St and Purdue every year in FB.

IMO having ND as an all but FB member is the best way to get ND into the ACC. Since the ACC doesn't NEED ND like the BE did, they could cut ties if ND becomes a PIA. No loss in trying.

ND, Pitt, BC, GA Tech, Miami
SU, MD, Wake, UVA, VT
UNC, Duke, NC St, Clemson, FSU

Agree. IMO ND never had thoughts of joining the BE for FB. They used the BE as a spot to park non FB sports and planned to eventually go to the B1G if necessary. Since then, the ACC has added BC, Pitt, and SU and all of a sudden offers ND another option. I believe that ND prefers the ACC vs the B1G if/when they are forced to choose. ND is an Eastern school and private school that fits the ACC mold. However it might be hard for ND to sell the ACC to their fanbase and boosters. So the best way to ease that transition is to play in the ACC for all sports but FB. After say 5-10 years the ND fans will be familiar with ACC sports and have a connection to the ACC. They won't want to give that up to play Mich St and Purdue every year in FB.

IMO having ND as an all but FB member is the best way to get ND into the ACC. Since the ACC doesn't NEED ND like the BE did, they could cut ties if ND becomes a PIA. No loss in trying.

The scenario stinks but as pointed out above, it would keep Rutgers out of the B1G and both Rutgers and UConn out of the ACC. Throw in some penalty money and then maybe. $20M if Notre Dame joins another league within 10 years. $10M if they park non-revenue sports and don't join the ACC for FB within 5 years ... or something like that.

IMO having ND as an all but FB member is the best way to get ND into the ACC.

Pretty sure some people in Providence have believed the same thing for the past 15 years. And that didn't really work out...

Several intriguing tweets from the Providence Journal's Kevin McNamara within the past hour:

http://twitter.com/#!/KevinMcNamara33

I hope the ACC isn't dumb enough to offer Notre Dame the same sweetheart deal the BE has given them.
-----------

According to reports, the ACC said no thanks to UT's desire for a special deal for their LHN and TT as a partner school.

No doubt ND will try to get their best deal, but the ACC does not need ND for BB, does not include 7 fellow Catholic schools that form the core of ND's support in the Big East, is not some new conference as when the Big East was founded as a BB conference.

Offering a special deal is just asking for trouble; even if ND agreed to 3-5 football games a year, ND would likely not want to rotate among the 14 ACC teams, would want to pick and choose who it wanted to play, would no doubt want other special deals.

It made perfect sense for a desperate SU in the Big East to play ND at the Meadowlands for the publicity; now that SU is in the ACC, I hope SU only agrees to play them on a home and home basis. SU will be playing 9 ACC conference games along with one high profile Meadowland's game every 2 years: it is in an ideal position to schedule games as it chooses in the future.

The ACC has positioned itself well with the adds of SU and Pitt where it can proceed as it wants.

Pretty sure some people in Providence have believed the same thing for the past 15 years. And that didn't really work out...

Again apples and oranges. Why would ND want to join the BE for FB? ND was always going to wait until they HAD to join a conference. If the BE still had Miami, BC, and VT then maybe in 10 years they would have had a shot. But once those schools left you would have to be crazy to think that ND would join WV, Louisville, Cincy, USF, UConn, and RU. They have NOTHING in common with ND and are not programs that ND would want to be associated with. ND has a lot in common with the ACC.

The ACC has nothing to lose by taking ND for all but FB. They don't need ND. The BE on the other hand NEEDED ND. That gave ND leverage. Not to mention ND controlled had a lot of influence over the Catholic schools. In the ACC ND will have little influence and the ACC can cut ties if need be. The BE couldn't do that.

It made perfect sense for a desperate SU in the Big East to play ND at the Meadowlands for the publicity; now that SU is in the ACC, I hope SU only agrees to play them on a home and home basis.

I doubt that ND would ever agree to a pure home and home. The last contract we had was a 1 for 2 deal, and the Dome didn't sell out in 2003.

IMO, if Gross had been able to get another 1 for 2 deal, or even a 1-1-1 deal, he would have taken it.

I doubt that ND would ever agree to a pure home and home. The last contract we had was a 1 for 2 deal, and the Dome didn't sell out in 2003.

IMO, if Gross had been able to get another 1 for 2 deal, or even a 1-1-1 deal, he would have taken it.
-----------------

It was a great move at the time for SU to schedule a high profile game in the Meadowlands with ND. But going foward, SU has a great conference home, financial security, will likely be playing 9 conference games, will be playing a high profile game at the Meadowlands every 2 years and is no longer in a desperate situation.

Whatever Dr. Gross decides is fine with me, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if ND said no thanks. They agreed to play BC home and home; if they want to play SU, let them play one at SU, one at ND and one at the Measdowlands. My guess is if they stay in the Big East, they may prefer to play RU regardless.

Part of the reason for playing in the Meadowlands is exposure - or most of the reason. Gross doesn't see the Meadowlands game as giving anything up, he sees it as a winning situation for us. So he wouldn't try to get that game changed.

I guess that could work. 14 schools in the football league and 15 in the basketball league. 3 pods of 5 schools; you play home and away against teams in your pod and one game against everyone else.

That scenario kind of sucks for UCONN and Rutgers however.
The ACC will never go to pods. Ever. K doesn't like them.