Involving Riley | Syracusefan.com

Involving Riley

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
So Riley is pacing to catch something like 40 passes or so this season, which would be a big drop off from last season.

It's possible he was a favorite target of Dungey and just doesn't have the same chemistry with DeVito. It also looks to me like we pass up certain chances to get him the ball.

Babers preaches to take what the defense gives you, but there are a lot of times when Riley in the slot has a good 8-10 yard cushion between him and the nearest defender. We don't ever throw a quick strike to him though with a little room to run forward. It would seem like a simple line call to make that play. Any ideas why we don't?

We also don't run any plays where we put him in motion then get the ball to him as he's cutting across. We did it once against Clemson, but after the game was decided.

Things just don't seem as creative to me. Making the opponents defend sideline to sideline, short and far.

So much of our offense last year seemed to be predicated on ED scrambling around and improvising. WRs breaking off their routes and looking to help make a play with ED. This year, it seems like we’re staying much closer to the original plan. Maybe they’re just not adept yet at playing it straight, in synch with TD.

Ive been outspoken about the size limitations of Riley and Johnson, and what it does to our offense. With that said, I think the room should be getting borderline sizzling for Lynch.

Ive been outspoken about the size limitations of Riley and Johnson, and what it does to our offense. With that said, I think the room should be getting borderline sizzling for Lynch.
I'm also generally not a fan of super small players. Riley doesn't look like a 12 year old out there anymore, he now looks 14ish.

Anyway, as much as it isn't my preference, he's been more productive in season's before this one. Not sure why it seems like such a struggle to incorporate him. I think there are relatively easy things we could do to better leverage what he does well.

I don't know if Dino sees it this way, but yeah, our coordinators seem shaky.

I'm also generally not a fan of super small players. Riley doesn't look like a 12 year old out there anymore, he now looks 14ish.

Anyway, as much as it isn't my preference, he's been more productive in season's before this one. Not sure why it seems like such a struggle to incorporate him. I think there are relatively easy things we could do to better leverage what he does well.

I don't know if Dino sees it this way, but yeah, our coordinators seem shaky.
People will mention that dino calls most of the plays, apparently. To that I say, well what does Lynch do then?

Riley, if nothing else, is dangerous with the ball in his hands. It is absolutely useless to hit him with a pass with no space to create. He’s not Jackson, or even Harris (silly spin moves).

If we cant hit him in stride or get him the ball with a 5-10 yard cushion it’s an issue.

People will mention that dino calls most of the plays, apparently. To that I say, well what does Lynch do then?

Riley, if nothing else, is dangerous with the ball in his hands. It is absolutely useless to hit him with a pass with no space to create. He’s not Jackson, or even Harris (silly spin moves).

If we cant hit him in stride or get him the ball with a 5-10 yard cushion it’s an issue.
Lynch has been the Co-OC or OC for Babers since 2015. If Babers didn't have confidence in the job Lynch is doing I'm sure he would no longer be in the position. If you have confidence in Babers as the HC then you should have confidence in his choices of staff.

It’s the same offense. Coordinator’s don’t forget how to coach.
not saying they do. Im not going to pretend I don’t see our wideouts giving up on routes frequently or being manhandled by the db’s though. We’ve all seen it. Hopefully we see adjustments vs Nc state. This is the part of the schedule where changes become apparent

Lynch has been the Co-OC or OC for Babers since 2015. If Babers didn't have confidence in the job Lynch is doing I'm sure he would no longer be in the position. If you have confidence in Babers as the HC then you should have confidence in his choices of staff.
Confidence in the OC doesn’t always survive hand in hand with the HC. If keeping Tommy in yesterday was Dino’s decision then I question him too. Im just a fan on a forum so take my opinion as far as you can throw an elephant, but there’s not a lot of positives to post about for an offense with a returning senior rb, 4 veteran receivers and the team pace we’d expect to see in year 4. Much of this can be attributed to the OL. I won’t give credence to the receivers having a learning curve with Tommy. Tommy’s a far superior passer compared to ED, playmaking intangibles aside.

I don’t think anythings foregone or hopeless. I have plenty of faith in the staff to make adjustments, which We shouldnt expect until midseason anyways. Just believe Lynch has earned a fair amount of criticism and has something to prove.

Im giving staff somewhat of a pass they assumed vanilla would be entabd the game was never in doubt ! I’m hoping for more moving forward . I’m gonna re watch game soon and have a better assessment

Im giving staff somewhat of a pass they assumed vanilla would be entabd the game was never in doubt ! I’m hoping for more moving forward . I’m gonna re watch game soon and have a better assessment

I agree, thought game plan was very Vanilla as they were never worried about this game which I am totally okay with.

Was nice to see passes thrown into the middle tho.

It’s the same offense. Coordinator’s don’t forget how to coach.
I get that. But that's why it seems weird Riley is taking a back seat after being so prominent last season.

How Tommy?

How Tommy?
I walk a fine line and some I can’t cross . When it comes to injuries Dino is a coy as they come for what ever reason it’s his show and I have to respect it ! He Is a tough SOB
like most QBs

I'm sure the staff will be relieved to hear that

So much of our offense last year seemed to be predicated on ED scrambling around and improvising. WRs breaking off their routes and looking to help make a play with ED. This year, it seems like we’re staying much closer to the original plan. Maybe they’re just not adept yet at playing it straight, in synch with TD.

100% this.

And a guy like Riley who is elusive would eventually find an opening where ED can deliver the ball.

I am not sure that I ever fully understood the vanilla approach. I understand not wanting to show unexpected wrinkles, but showing an ability to hit crossing patterns, or run off tackle only makes them have to defend it. I only imagine that keeping the defense guessing is a good thing. I was also under the impression that one of the more difficult things to defend about this offense is that they do multiple things from the same sets. I am not sure I understand the harm in showing just how many things they may need to defend, causing them to commit to nothing in an effort to cover it all.

As for the Riley usage, and maybe CT can enlighten (or may choose not to) I know that after the Maryland game Babers made reference to TD being a gun slinger and as such likes to go for the home run. He suggested that he needs to take some of the easy underneath stuff. Could it be that TD is still learning that element of this offense? Could that be a factor in Riley's lack of production?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom