Iona has a freshman guard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Iona has a freshman guard

LOL. He scored 22 points not 40 on 4 for 17 shooting (2 for 11 from 3) had 3 assists, 3 turnovers and 0 steals. He is a great free throw shooter 12 for 12 though. Oh and he's 5'10, 150 lbs. Good for the young man, he's at a school where he can do best - in the MAAC.
Do you know what CJ McCollum weighed as a freshman at Lehigh?? 160 pounds. Everyone kept saying he's too small and he plays in the patriot league. He won't ever make. He not only tore up the patriot league but also a good amount of bigger schools over his four years. As a freshman he also had a very good showing against #1 seed where I believe he had 26 points and 11 rebounds. He was also the focal point of Kansas's defense that game. He was a ton better than Joseph is as a freshman at cuse and it isn't even close. I don't care what conference you play in...if you can ball you can ball. People like to discredit talent because of the conference kids play in.

I don't care what conference you play in...if you can ball you can ball. People like to discredit talent because of the conference kids play in.
It's not the conference it's the height. Too short to man the top of the zone.

That said I'd sure as heck like to see Tyler Ulis on this team.

Do you know what CJ McCollum weighed as a freshman at Lehigh?? 160 pounds. Everyone kept saying he's too small and he plays in the patriot league. He won't ever make. He not only tore up the patriot league but also a good amount of bigger schools over his four years. As a freshman he also had a very good showing against #1 seed where I believe he had 26 points and 11 rebounds. He was also the focal point of Kansas's defense that game. He was a ton better than Joseph is as a freshman at cuse and it isn't even close. I don't care what conference you play in...if you can ball you can ball. People like to discredit talent because of the conference kids play in.

Fair enough, I quite like CJ. But the truth is, if he'd shown that kind of promise in HS the big dogs would have been on him like ugly on a sculpin. Consider the fact he went to Lehigh is a fair comment on his academic ability and focus. If I'm a 160 pound kid figuring on looking for a job as an engineer one day, a degree from Lehigh kicks a Kentucky benchwarmer's ass, as well as many others. So that's where he went and why. Steph Curry is another example. But you're correct, if you can play, you can play, period. Some just bloom later.

Fair enough, I quite like CJ. But the truth is, if he'd shown that kind of promise in HS the big dogs would have been on him like ugly on a sculpin. Consider the fact he went to Lehigh is a fair comment on his academic ability and focus. If I'm a 160 pound kid figuring on looking for a job as an engineer one day, a degree from Lehigh kicks a Kentucky benchwarmer's ass, as well as many others. So that's where he went and why. Steph Curry is another example. But you're correct, if you can play, you can play, period. Some just bloom later.
He was a late bloomer definitely, but was also Ohio player of the year as a senior. He made lehigh a promise to go there as a sophomore and when he started to get interest from some bigger schools never back out of his verbal. He was a journalism major at lehigh. Definitely took advantage of Lehigh's academics.

He was a late bloomer definitely, but was also Ohio player of the year as a senior. He made lehigh a promise to go there as a sophomore and when he started to get interest from some bigger schools never back out of his verbal. He was a journalism major at lehigh. Definitely took advantage of Lehigh's academics.

Thanks for straightening me out on that.

You my friend just don't seem to get it!!!!!
I would love to be wrong and the next time I am won't be the first. You know tHe saying that opinions are like......and everyone has one but most stink. I intend no disrespect.

Thats lottery pick status.
I think 40 against Delaware state. Yeah not a power 5 team and he isn't going leave for the NBA next year but when's the last time SU is in a close game and the other team needs to foul someone? The other team has so many choices on the SU team including substitute point silent G. The guy handling the ball is most likely to get fouled and at least the little midget shoots 90% from the free throw line. When's the last time you felt confident that SU will win at the line. Even Cooney has looked shaky and they can't get him the ball in closing seconds.maybe I get arriedawaybywhatotherssay about him but at least I'm not so hooked on the orangejuicethat I cant be critical.

Last edited:
He is listed at 5'10" and Joseph is listed at 6'3". Last I checked 5'10 doesn't quite cut it at the top of the zone. That's why this kid is in the MAAC.
You are absolutely correct. And that might be part of problem in that sSU seems to recruit players that can potentially play zone because of their height. Well it isn't working out too well this year with their tall defenders up top and these tall defenders especially point players and wing players can't shoot. And they have been told not to shoot. And they can't make free throws down the stretch unless it Cooney or Xmas.
Not tHat this kid is the second coming of Calvin Murphy, spud Webb Michael Adams,muggy Bogues, Avery Johnson etc but to write him off because he's not zone height in favor of a zone height guard that hasn't produced is weak.

I think you are mistaken. People aren't necessarily discrediting talent because of the conference, they are discrediting the talent evaluation that is based on the results put up in that conference. It's not the same thing.

Is the argument whether he could play in a power conference or for Syracuse? It would be fun to play Iona in the next couple of years. We would see if he gets swallowed up by our vaunted perimeter D or not. He may grow a bit, too.

You are absolutely correct. And that might be part of problem in that sSU seems to recruit players that can potentially play zone because of their height. Well it isn't working out too well this year with their tall defenders up top and these tall defenders especially point players and wing players can't shoot. And they have been told not to shoot. And they can't make free throws down the stretch unless it Cooney or Xmas.
Not tHat this kid is the second coming of Calvin Murphy, spud Webb Michael Adams,muggy Bogues, Avery Johnson etc but to write him off because he's not zone height in favor of a zone height guard that hasn't produced is weak.
By the purported self-imposed physical barriers Sherman Douglas might be ruled out these days.
6'0"?
Maybe.
You can't coach height...but height alone isn't going to make a player...even at the top of the zone.

And speaking of Sherman Douglas...he was far from a frosh sensation...even looking kinda timid on the floor sometimes.

Few point guards are Tyler Ennis.
It's a HUGE jump from high school...especially learning the zone.
It's not fair to judge Joseph by Ennis standards.
Give him a year...at least.
That's what it takes.

We're paying a price for not having a more experienced presence at point.
Gbinije's done a creditable job...but he really should be the shooter and the #2 point.