Is a Big East Championship the only way... | Syracusefan.com

Is a Big East Championship the only way...

bothsocksup

Starter
that SU will ever be able to pack the dome again? Ya gotta think DM is very concerned about the lack of fans in the seats, and ya have to wonder if it will ever be the way it once was. My hope is that with one BCS bowl, SU is back to national and more important, local prominence

that SU will ever be able to pack the dome again? Ya gotta think DM is very concerned about the lack of fans in the seats, and ya have to wonder if it will ever be the way it once was. My hope is that with one BCS bowl, SU is back to national and more important, local prominence

People are getting carried away with this.. Attendance has not been that good in 10 years... It's just that we sucked for so long people can't remember, I think that people have discussed winning as a way to get fans back, well we won last year but we were abysmal at home; therfore negative Joe from Mattydale is still digging his heels in and won't come back, start 4-1 and the Rutgers game will generate some interest like Pitt did last year, lay another turd and you are right back to where we always are, it needs to build over a period of time

my goal is were 6-0 (anything is possible) heading into the friday night game vs wvu..that would have semi national attention..would draw easily 45..and have momentum on our side

to go back to the original post, i mostly agree that it will take a BE championship to pack the dome again. another winning season and bowl appearance is nice (were in no position to start getting picky over bowls) but a bcs one would fix a lot of problems.

People are getting carried away with this.. Attendance has not been that good in 10 years... It's just that we sucked for so long people can't remember, I think that people have discussed winning as a way to get fans back, well we won last year but we were abysmal at home; therfore negative Joe from Mattydale is still digging his heels in and won't come back, start 4-1 and the Rutgers game will generate some interest like Pitt did last year, lay another turd and you are right back to where we always are, it needs to build over a period of time
YPG at home last 5 years

they need some offense at home. these home games have been a big drag recently.

I think attendance is okay, given how boring and embarrassing the team was during the choo choo years, and on offense for a few years before that. We've had a string of absolutely seriously below average college quarterbacks for an eternity. And an offense that was headache material to watch. People forget?

The entertainment value was nil.

Give the locals a team that plays exciting football (especially on offense) and our fan support will be fine. We'll never do 100k, even giving away tickets, but we can average in the mid to upper 40's. Good for a smaller private university.

YPG at home last 5 years

agreed they have been horrid, best game I remember was NW in 2009 in the recent past.

YPG at home last 5 years

agree - regularly put on some offensive fireworks like the NW game two years ago or the Pinstripe Bowl last year and people will want to come back and see that in person. The 0-4 BCS home slate with dreadful offensive production didn't allow for any kind of bump from the winning season / bowl game.

Syracuse has always been a front running town. Win big and folks will come to the games.

Lets see what happens in the next few years.

agreed they have been horrid, best game I remember was NW in 2009 in the recent past.

NW was good. Minny wasn't bad, Rutgers that first year was my favorite though, although the defense did most of the work in the excitement category there.

Mountains out of molehills...

We are 3 years removed from the abyss. keep winning and people will return.

Like I've been saying the Syracuse fans only back a winner. When jumping on the bandwagon is right,they will booze up and jump. Some will miss the wagon and say they were there from the beginning.;)

Not sure I've ever liked when the camera catches one of our coaches with a finger up their nose scratching their brain cells.P and Boeheim must have had a contest to see which one could get on camera most with that disgusting habit.:mad:

Like I've been saying the Syracuse fans only back a winner. When jumping on the bandwagon is right,they will booze up and jump. Some will miss the wagon and say they were there from the beginning.;)
i approve of this..esp the booze up and jump part

I wouldn't say the hyperbole of mountains out of molehills but both recruiting and attendance are often tied together. I admit it is a old and over discussed subject but there's a reason why it keeps on being brought up and you are right, winning sure as heck would help and hopefully along with this Marrone and his staff can also show recruits that they can get some intangible advantages at SU plus hopefully for those who desire, getting prepared to go to the next level the NFL.

Syracuse has always been a front running town. Win big and folks will come to the games.

Lets see what happens in the next few years.
totally true!!!! beat usc and the landscape dramatically will change both locally and nationally

Winning consistently is the key, not just winning big. Teams that consistently lose don't sell out their stadium/arena in any sport. If we string together a few 8-5, 9-4 seasons with some home wins, attendance will grow every year. If Michigan, Penn St., or Tenn., had losing records for 10 straight years, I guarantee they wouldn't be selling out their home stadium either.

Winning is exciting and exciting sells tickets.

Winning consistently is the key, not just winning big. Teams that consistently lose don't sell out their stadium/arena in any sport. If we string together a few 8-5, 9-4 seasons with some home wins, attendance will grow every year. If Michigan, Penn St., or Tenn., had losing records for 10 straight years, I guarantee they wouldn't be selling out their home stadium either.

Winning is exciting and exciting sells tickets.
Agree 100% it took a lot of losing yrs. to get attendance this low and it will take more than one winning year to get it back. So give some time and lets win a few at home than if not there ,complain, but I dont believe that will be the case.