Is anyone in the know really surprised about Ryan | Syracusefan.com

Is anyone in the know really surprised about Ryan

kcsu

Living Legend
Many of us took heat when we questioned Ryan going in the first round. Im on record saying i thought 4th or 5th. Ryan did a great job for us and was a great leader. He is not a great QB. I have said time and again that he is a thrower not a passer. Ryan has made the best of his talents. Lets hope he gets drafted tomorrow and goes to a team that allows him to continue to grow.

Nope. Like everyone else...certainly really happy for him and the hype he got, but on no level did I see him as a first rounder. Would have been happy to have been wrong. More than happy.

What people seem to be missing is that Marrone did a lot for Nassib in hyping him at 8. Got him a ton of exposure.

44cuse

You may be right. But as I watched all those Rutgers and UCONN S and CB go - I was thinking about how many of those guys Ryan torched.

He is smart and a hard worker. I don't think his ceiling is as low as everyone believes. He'll be a 2 heading into the season somewhere. Then, you never know.

Many of us took heat when we questioned Ryan going in the first round. Im on record saying i thought 4th or 5th. Ryan did a great job for us and was a great leader. He is not a great QB. I have said time and again that he is a thrower not a passer. Ryan has made the best of his talents. Lets hope he gets drafted tomorrow and goes to a team that allows him to continue to grow.
Well, you are just so smart. we should really listen to you more.

Well, you are just so smart. we should really listen to you more.
do you have any recollection of him posting his i told you so mantra before tonight??

i dont.

:noidea:

Why don't you give us a link, if you're going to pat yourself on the back for talking down one of our guys.

Nope. Like everyone else...certainly really happy for him and the hype he got, but on no level did I see him as a first rounder. Would have been happy to have been wrong. More than happy.

What people seem to be missing is that Marrone did a lot for Nassib in hyping him at 8. Got him a ton of exposure.

44cuse

You have said over and again many times that Marrone "hyped Nassib at #8". What excactly do you mean and to what tangible, direct "hype" are you referring?

Its simply a numbers game. There just aren't that many teams that need quarterbacks right now. Run the list. Most teams either have their guy or they THINK they might have their guy. There are only a couple that truly feel that they dont have someone and they took qb's already.

You have said over and again many times that Marrone "hyped Nassib at #8". What excactly do you mean and to what tangible, direct "hype" are you referring?

I asked that question in another thread and got no reply.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Its simply a numbers game. There just aren't that many teams that need quarterbacks right now. Run the list. Most teams either have their guy or they THINK they might have their guy. There are only a couple that truly feel that they dont have someone and they took qb's already.

This! Ryan probably isn't a first round QB anyways but look how few and where the skill players have been taken so far! Freaking unprecedented I would say. Lacy, Woods, Allen, etc. Great players. I think teams are searching for defense more to try to slow these NFL offenses down.

Why don't you give us a link, if you're going to pat yourself on the back for talking down one of our guys.
Im not talking down one of our guys. Im simply stating that i felt Ryan was being over rated by many on this board. I along with many where critical of Ryan when he wasnt playing well and the fact is for many games he didnt play well. Ryan has happy feet when he is under pressure, he does not feel back side pressure well and he has a tendancy to fumble. Until about half way through his Senior year he would lock onto recievers, he has never displayed touch as he is more of a thrower than a passer. Doug and Hack both said that they decided to take the burden or emphasis off Ryan and to place the game in the hands of our backs and O-line ask yourself why? In short Ryan did very well once he was asked to simply manage the game. He is very smart and was able to run our hurry up O well. In my opinion he will do best in a system where he is surrounded by talent and asked to manage the game vs be the man. I would love to see Ryan get drafted by the Patriots for this reason. So if pointing out my thoughts on Ryan equates to talking down one of our guys so be it. I dont see it that way. As to post I had him going any place between late second and the fourth round.

I'm not an NFL analyst and have no experience coaching football but to me Ryan is 10 times better than Geno Smith.

Im not talking down one of our guys. Im simply stating that i felt Ryan was being over rated by many on this board. I along with many where critical of Ryan when he wasnt playing well and the fact is for many games he didnt play well. Ryan has happy feet when he is under pressure, he does not feel back side pressure well and he has a tendancy to fumble. Until about half way through his Senior year he would lock onto recievers, he has never displayed touch as he is more of a thrower than a passer. Doug and Hack both said that they decided to take the burden or emphasis off Ryan and to place the game in the hands of our backs and O-line ask yourself why? In short Ryan did very well once he was asked to simply manage the game. He is very smart and was able to run our hurry up O well. In my opinion he will do best in a system where he is surrounded by talent and asked to manage the game vs be the man. I would love to see Ryan get drafted by the Patriots for this reason. So if pointing out my thoughts on Ryan equates to talking down one of our guys so be it. I dont see it that way. As to post I had him going any place between late second and the fourth round.

There is so much wrong in this post.

He did much more than "manage the game" last year. Just a silly statement.

Ryan by all accounts is a great kid from what I've heard. It's disappointing to see him fall this far in the draft as I'm sure has been stated by a lot of people here. I hope he comes off the board quickly today. Once he does he'll have his opportunity to impress whichever organization he goes to. He has all of the required tools to be successful.

in a year of marginal qb's ryan isnt that bad a choice

this aint 83 with a half dozen hall of fame qb's available-even last year he wouldnt have gotten a sniff

the kids picked over him also had better personnel around them-

imho its asinine not to take a chance on him with a 3rd or 4th round pick

I'm not an NFL analyst and have no experience coaching football but to me Ryan is 10 times better than Geno Smith.
True, but look at who drafted Geno. The Jets are a trainwreck. I wanted Ryan to go earlier but he is better off staying away from that green mess and getting picked into a more reasonable situation.

What's this in the know business? All his games were on TV and attended. He is what he is - if he gets on a team he has a chance of sticking around a long time, whether he sees snaps or not. Ending up like David Carr could be a blessing

I was hopeful that Nassib would be picked in the first round, but skeptical that it would happen.

But I am shocked that he wasn't chosen in the first three rounds.

(1) He was projected as a 4th rounder by certain publications going into the season
(2) He improved tremendously as a senior over the course of the year
(3) QB's are always reached for in the NFL draft

Considering these factors, I thought for sure he'd be picked at least in the middle of the 2nd round.

How many 4th quarter comebacks did Nassib have again, 11? You're trying too hard. Nassib was by far the best QB we've had since McNabb, and he won 2 bowl games in 3 years.

If you were such a genius in saying he wouldn't get picked til the 4th or 5th round in the last couple weeks, find us the post, provide the link, and pat yourself on the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom