Is Broyld capable? | Syracusefan.com

Is Broyld capable?

OburgOrange

Living Legend
He drops more than he catches. And not just this game. Disheartening to see him drop his head after a miss. Get with it!

He drops more than he catches. And not just this game. Disheartening to see him drop his head after a miss. Get with it!
Bryold and Kobena have a hard time making tough catches. At least AB seems to care. I think he can be special if his consistency improves.

stickum_med.jpeg

broyld not only needs to apply it liberally to his hands but also eat about 5 tbs every meal.
( slather his wimpy burger with that crap)

Last edited:
Broyld is probably the closest thing we have to a real athletic football player. But he's not as close to the line as I thought. He's not as good as advertised.

Looks as though he is "scared" to catch the ball over the middle? Just seems as though the effort isn't there. Alligator arms? Really want him to be successful.

I suggest you look at the facts. Broyld certainly does catch most of the balls thrown his way. He has made drops over the middle and on a couple of screens. However he has 50% more receptions than the next best receiver and 50 more yards. He gets sent over the middle a lot, which is not easy.

He has only played 7 games at his position and has a great future. He is on a pace to catch 50 passes this year.

he is dropping them trying to make moves, he will get batter at that

He is what we have. He's great once he has the ball and some space, it's just getting to that point that is tough.

But the larger issue is that he's playing on the wrong side of the ball. He should be playing defense. But I guess if that were the case, our awful offense would be down right terrifying.

Is this thread for real? Broyld is the last player on this team we should be worried about.
I suggest you look at the facts. Broyld certainly does catch most of the balls thrown his way. He has made drops over the middle and on a couple of screens. However he has 50% more receptions than the next best receiver and 50 more yards. He gets sent over the middle a lot, which is not easy.

He has only played 7 games at his position and has a great future. He is on a pace to catch 50 passes this year.
I guess the misses just stand out more. Can't stand to see him hang his head

He's shown he's an athlete, but he has not come close to showing he's a football player. He's been the most hyped non-factor player that I can ever remember. He's done nothing in his first 20 college football games.

He's shown he's an athlete, but he has not come close to showing he's a football player. He's been the most hyped non-factor player that I can ever remember. He's done nothing in his first 20 college football games.
Lemon, the all time receiver in SU history caught 69 passes his junior year and 73 his senior year. Broyld is on a pace to catch 50+ this season and he does not have Ryan Nassib as his QB.

Try to do a little homework before you make absurd statements like that.

Lemon, the all time receiver in SU history caught 69 passes his junior year and 73 his senior year. Broyld is on a pace to catch 50+ this season and he does not have Ryan Nassib as his QB.

Well some of these pure reception stats are a little misleading in today's game. Broyld avgs less than 10 yards a catch and 1 td.

Yeah!! Why not dump on the former QB turned RB turned leading receiver? Guys a bum.

And this thread is all the proof you need that we lose our minds after a loss.

Little homework? Really? Lemon had less drops in a six game stretch over his career than Broyld had these last 6 games. Look it up and cut it out.

Broyld's probably the least of the worries on this team right now.

Drops happen, part of the game...
Alec dropped a ball from time to time... Not nearly the many times a game. Just saying.

Alec dropped a ball from time to time... Not nearly the many times a game. Just saying.

The last time I was in the chatroom the term Lemon Drop was being used ad nauseum.

He turned out ok.

Rundeal is dead on. Ashton is the least of our problems right now. This thread is stupid.

Little homework? Really? Lemon had less drops in a six game stretch over his career than Broyld had these last 6 games. Look it up and cut it out.
Well some of these pure reception stats are a little misleading in today's game. Broyld avgs less than 10 yards a catch and 1 td.

Alec had a great career and I reference his stats not to say that Broyld is better but to illustrate that Ashton is doing great in his first year as an H back or receiver.

Here are Alec's sophomore year stats.
32 recptions for 397 yards - 12.4 yard per reception
Opponent - Receptions - Yards
Akron - 5 - 49
Washington - 2 - 34
Maine - 5 - 58
Colgate 1 - 10
South Fl 1 - 6
Pitt 8 - 108
Cincy 2 - 27
L'Ville 5 - 73
UConn 1 - 12
K State 2 - 20

Broyd has 30 receptions in 7 games versus tougher competition. Alec would be the first to tell you Broyld is doing a great job.

He is not a p****y, he is a football player and he is the best receiver on this team by a wide margin.

Now, I am not going t waste any more time responding to this absurd thread.

I don't think comparing Ashton to Alec serves either of them well - they are very different players.

Alec was a much more polished route runner with better hands while Ashton is physically closer to a tight end in terms of size - that's not a knock by any stretch, it's just that he's still raw in his position.

Again, not a knock - but Ashton probably has more drops in his career thus far than Alec did in his career. But I remember reading on this board for several years that D1 receivers don't drop balls. Alec's skills were questioned by some for 2-3 years as to whether he belonged on a D1 team let alone whether he should be a No 1 WR. Every drop he had was magnified, it seemed, and I hated even looking at this board after some games because I knew some of the comments would be unbearable to read. It was nearly surreal watching NFL games the following Sunday and see a WR drop a ball - that would be an impossibility! Surely these were once D1 WR's...

In whatever this current offense is, there is no doubt that Ashton is distancing himself in his position from the other players. He's still growing in to his position and developing in to a receiver, what he's done so far is probably based on his physical gifts and not necessarily his skills - which are still developing.

You also can't discount the overall scheme and personnel packages. I hate to say it, but if Alec was still on the team, his numbers would probably be taking a big hit this year, but who knows - that's the thing about football - who makes who? Chemistry is also important - Jarrod had pretty good numbers last season, but he also had Ryan throwing to him -- and had Ryan throwing to him for over 2 years, which could be a reason he's struggling more this season.

Ashton will be fine as he continues to develop, unfortunately, he's the best we've got at the moment and the season remains in the balance. Whether or not he surpasses Alec's career numbers remains to be seen - if not him, someone in the next few years will - the game has changed to much for those numbers to stand for long...

Ashton Broyld

30 Receptions
294 Yards
9.8 Yard Average
Long of 39

He's by far our most consistent, and biggest threat, WR.

I keep thinking that before the end of the season he is going to have a monster game against somebody.

I don't think comparing Ashton to Alec serves either of them well - they are very different players.

Alec was a much more polished route runner with better hands while Ashton is physically closer to a tight end in terms of size - that's not a knock by any stretch, it's just that he's still raw in his position.

Again, not a knock - but Ashton probably has more drops in his career thus far than Alec did in his career. But I remember reading on this board for several years that D1 receivers don't drop balls. Alec's skills were questioned by some for 2-3 years as to whether he belonged on a D1 team let alone whether he should be a No 1 WR. Every drop he had was magnified, it seemed, and I hated even looking at this board after some games because I knew some of the comments would be unbearable to read. It was nearly surreal watching NFL games the following Sunday and see a WR drop a ball - that would be an impossibility! Surely these were once D1 WR's...

In whatever this current offense is, there is no doubt that Ashton is distancing himself in his position from the other players. He's still growing in to his position and developing in to a receiver, what he's done so far is probably based on his physical gifts and not necessarily his skills - which are still developing.

You also can't discount the overall scheme and personnel packages. I hate to say it, but if Alec was still on the team, his numbers would probably be taking a big hit this year, but who knows - that's the thing about football - who makes who? Chemistry is also important - Jarrod had pretty good numbers last season, but he also had Ryan throwing to him -- and had Ryan throwing to him for over 2 years, which could be a reason he's struggling more this season.

Ashton will be fine as he continues to develop, unfortunately, he's the best we've got at the moment and the season remains in the balance. Whether or not he surpasses Alec's career numbers remains to be seen - if not him, someone in the next few years will - the game has changed to much for those numbers to stand for long...

Appreciate the insight. I couldnt imagine coming to a message board or reading the comments about ones own kid playing a big time sport, even for the toughest of skins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom