Is buffalo/msg really that big a deal? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is buffalo/msg really that big a deal?

And also your odds of winning. I'm not writing us off by any means, but teams that lose to teams like BC at home; well I feel like they don't go very far in the tournament. Though someone proving me wrong would make me feel better

Couldn't resist trying to find something...
Well, it's not good as you might expect.

Going back to '03 when kenpom started, the worst team I can find that beat an eventual champion was Santa Clara (124th in kenpom) vs UNC in '05. That was the first game of the season and it was also in Oakland.

Second is - you guessed it - Rutgers (96th) in '03.

The worst home loss is '09 UNC vs BC (70th).

I'm not overreaction guy but honestly, this is a bad, bad, bad loss. Horrifically bad. I don't think people appreciate how terrible BC is. They're up to 131 now but I think they jumped about 100 spots from last night, ha.

I'm sure there are some equally bad losses for Final4 teams if you wanted to extend the criteria...
But maybe the OP has a point. We sure have stunk up the Dome against some awful teams this year.

I think the UNC loss Ray Felton wasn't playing either. And yes, there was a time when Ray Felton not playing was actually a bad thing for his team.

gilardino said:
yes it does, stupid question sorry
I think it's overrated because everyone talks about 2003 in Albany. Yea that was a huge advantage but we would have beat auburn and Oklahoma anywhere.

We had a huge crowd advantage in Boston in 2012 but barely beat Wisconsin and lost to ohio st. I'd obviously prefer buffalo\msg, but I think getting a favorable draw regarding what teams are in our bracket is more important and how we're playing is most important over where we get shipped.

Going back to '03 when kenpom started, the worst team I can find that beat an eventual champion was Santa Clara (124th in kenpom) vs UNC in '05. That was the first game of the season and it was also in Oakland.

I'm not overreaction guy but honestly, this is a bad, bad, bad loss. Horrifically bad. I don't think people appreciate how terrible BC is. They're up to 131 now but I think they jumped about 100 spots from last night, ha.

I'm sure there are some equally bad losses for Final4 teams if you wanted to extend the criteria...
But maybe the OP has a point. We sure have stunk up the Dome against some awful teams this year.
Louisville losing by 31 at PC 2 years ago.

Not sure about PC's rank that year, but I'm sure it wasn't too high. Louisville went on to the FF.

And also your odds of winning. I'm not writing us off by any means, but teams that lose to teams like BC at home; well I feel like they don't go very far in the tournament. Though someone proving me wrong would make me feel better
UNC lost to BC at home in '09
Florida lost to South Carolina at home in '06
UConn lost to Providence at home in '04

I think it's overrated because everyone talks about 2003 in Albany. Yea that was a huge advantage but we would have beat auburn and Oklahoma anywhere.

We had a huge crowd advantage in Boston in 2012 but barely beat Wisconsin and lost to ohio st. I'd obviously prefer buffalo\msg, but I think getting a favorable draw regarding what teams are in our bracket is more important and how we're playing is most important over where we get shipped.

There is some truth in that. Of course the flipside of that is maybe Boston helped us overcome the Wiscy upset & their barrage of 3's (maybe Bo Ryan gets the weak charge he wanted on CJ instead of an and-1). It's certainly reasonable to think it helped us vs Ok St in '03.
But ya the Oklahoma game could've been played in Norman and it wouldn't have mattered.

It's really one of the few things in sports (and life) where it makes sense to be "hindsight guy". If we lose a nailbiter in California or win one in MSG, I don't think it'll be crazy to think location made a difference - the margins for error in the tournament are just so thin. But if neither of those things happen, it won't have mattered.

UNC lost to BC at home in '09
Florida lost to South Carolina at home in '06
UConn lost to Providence at home in '04

Those teams were not nearly as bad as '14 BC.

Most important factor from the team standpoint is travel and time changes. Buffalo and NYC are good for that. Just don't want the west (although I could go). But it is not about us, and how easy it is for us to go to the games. Of course it helps the players to have a home crowd there. I am not going to lose sleep over this

BuffOrange said:
There is some truth in that. Of course the flipside of that is maybe Boston helped us overcome the Wiscy upset & their barrage of 3's (maybe Bo Ryan gets the weak charge he wanted on CJ instead of an and-1). It's certainly reasonable to think it helped us vs Ok St in '03. But ya the Oklahoma game could've been played in Norman and it wouldn't have mattered. It's really one of the few things in sports (and life) where it makes sense to be "hindsight guy". If we lose a nailbiter in California or win one in MSG, I don't think it'll be crazy to think location made a difference - the margins for error in the tournament are just so thin. But if neither of those things happen, it won't have mattered. Those teams were not nearly as bad as '14 BC.
We lost to Lemoyne in 2009-2010. That team was pretty good.

I don't want a 1 seed because we are prime for a major upset from a 16 seed playing like the way we are right now.

Loser's mentality. Gross. How about rooting to win instead of being scared to lose? :crazy:

This loss doesn't shake my confidence that the team can win it all (especially after last year). Unfortunately it does shake my confidence that we'll play well enough down the stretch to get Buffalo and MSG. As noted, that is really selfish but it's also really really important to me.

If we don't get Buffalo/MSG, which I feel we will, I hope we get shipped out west.

Michigan at penn state last year

Ya Penn St was terrible last year; albeit that was a road game.

Auburn is a bit worse than I thought too; so that makes me feel a little better I guess.

If we don't get Buffalo/MSG, which I feel we will, I hope we get shipped out west.

Is it possible that we could get Buffalo but not MSG? Get put in the West bracket, but still start the tournament in Buffalo? I thought I had heard that with the current pod system the second/third round sites (Buffalo, Raleigh, etc.) can host games from more than one region. Anyone know?

Is it possible that we could get Buffalo but not MSG? Get put in the West bracket, but still start the tournament in Buffalo? I thought I had heard that with the current pod system the second/third round sites (Buffalo, Raleigh, etc.) can host games from more than one region. Anyone know?
yes

People who think we can lose Buffalo, please tell me who is going to get it instead? We are locked into Buffalo, whether we are a 1, 2, or 3 seed

yes

People who think we can lose Buffalo, please tell me who is going to get it instead? We are locked into Buffalo, whether we are a 1, 2, or 3 seed
Buffalo is signed sealed and delivered. Do we really need to go through NCAA 101 again with you can be in Buffalo but be in the West region? Christ I had to explain it to a guy sitting behind me last night when he was "certain" we had to be shipped out west for us to be in the west region. It was like trying to teach a monkey Japanese

We're getting Buffalo for sure. Villanova is the only other team within spitting distance of SU in the Buffalo sweepstakes, there is no third team out there that's even close enough to take SU's spot in Buffalo. Opening the week in Buffalo is a lock. MSG much more tenuous.

You said we won't get shipped out unless we lose 3 more games. I think we're looking at the next three as losses. This team is not close to playing at a level to win any of the next three road games. They were lucky to get by Clemson and NCS at home and they both are bad teams. They just lost to one of the worst defensive teams in the country at home and could only muster up 59 points. I don't know where people get the idea that we can beat any of these teams. Our record is not indicative of where our level of play is. Ask, JB. He'll say the same thing. I think our best shot for a win is at Duke. They will actually pressure up, which will give our players some space to attack the rim. The problem is we will need to outscore them and I don't see that happening. We can hope that Duke has tired legs and miss some of the open threes that they will get.

We're getting Buffalo for sure. Villanova is the only other team within spitting distance of SU in the Buffalo sweepstakes, there is no third team out there that's even close enough to take SU's spot in Buffalo. Opening the week in Buffalo is a lock. MSG much more tenuous.

Yes Buffalo alone is a lock but I'm addressing the Buffalo/MSG path. If MSG doesn't happen, I hope it is the West region which always seems to be the weakest.

Buffalo is signed sealed and delivered. Do we really need to go through NCAA 101 again with you can be in Buffalo but be in the West region? Christ I had to explain it to a guy sitting behind me last night when he was "certain" we had to be shipped out west for us to be in the west region. It was like trying to teach a monkey Japanese
a 4 seed and we are still in buffalo, buffalo is a done deal, drives me nuts when people say well how do you know, ughhh

As others have already said, yes.

Yes Buffalo alone is a lock but I'm addressing the Buffalo/MSG path. If MSG doesn't happen, I hope it is the West region which always seems to be the weakest.

The latest Lunardi opus had us out there as #3 after Az, and SDSU. Raleigh for the first weekend, then Anaheim. He has Pitt as #7 in that bracket vs. SDSU in Spokane.