Is college basketball in a bad state? | Syracusefan.com

Is college basketball in a bad state?

Cuse House

All American
I don’t know how everyone else feels but I feel like the game is played too slow these days and the refereeing has been horrible. The flagrant foul rule is also probably the dumbest one I have seen because it takes away the offensive players ability to make a basketball play. The games just seem choppier than ever. I think the shot clock is too long also, watching stall ball against us this whole year got old pretty quick. Maybe it is just from watching it all year vs Us but it has been hard to watch at times.

I agree with everything you posted. If I didn't have a rooting interest in SU I wouldn't have watched a single game this season. For the past three years the only games I have watched have been SU games, because of the exact reasons you posted.

It's horrible. Ugly, slow, boring bricklaying fests with ridiculous rules.

I borderline hate it, right now.

I agree with everything you posted. If I didn't have a rooting interest in SU I wouldn't have watched a single game this season. For the past three years the only games I have watched have been SU games, because of the exact reasons you posted.

I feel the same way at times because the games don’t flow anymore. So many stops and starts and now refs go back and check the monitors all the time. It makes the games hard to watch and not to mention the fans who are at the game are left confused half the time about what the heck is going on.

Who are you watching? Syracuse or a team that has an offense?...Seriously, it still crushes the NBA imho. Maybe its the crowd or player emotion, but i cannot for the life of me watch an NBA game. I used to in the 80s and 90s but it has become so boring. The games seem so sterile. And the playoffs are only good in the last two minutes.

There are still some really good games... its just a lot more miss than hit right now. And you almost know going into a game if a certain team is playing it will not be entertaining.

The league with the most "hits" right now may actually be the B10. That says something about the rest of the leagues.

YES. The college game is terrible. I hope that Cuban and the NBA start to push hard to have the top HS kids skip college and go the the developmental league - maybe that will force the people that determine the rules to fix the college game.

All I know right now is I watch fewer and fewer college games every year, I don't think I watched a game Syracuse wasn't in all year, and I have no intention to start now. I used to be at near-Marsh levels, but at this point I'd rather flog myself for two hours than watch a typical college game. The game is broken. Badly.

Who are you watching? Syracuse or a team that has an offense?...Seriously, it still crushes the NBA imho. Maybe its the crowd or player emotion, but i cannot for the life of me watch an NBA game. I used to in the 80s and 90s but it has become so boring. The games seem so sterile. And the playoffs are only good in the last two minutes.

The only thing I agree on is the crowd.

The crowd atmosphere is about the only thing fun about the college game now.

NBA players make shots, and I love the playoffs. It's great if you watch the right teams in big games, in my opinion.

Actually feel the opposite - I watch far more NBA games now than when the Bad Boys were ruining the game. I watch far fewer college games now that Butler has brought 'Bad Boy' basketball to the college level.

I agree that the college game blows the NBA away also but I have always felt that way and probably always will. That does not mean the college game isn't taking the turn for the worse.

Actually feel the opposite - I watch far more NBA games now than when the Bad Boys were ruining the game. I watch far fewer college games now that Butler has brought 'Bad Boy' basketball to the college level.
Will agree to disagree. There is absolutely no excitement in an nba game. none. The game was great with Jordan, Magic, Bird, Dr J, etc. I honestly tried to be a Knicks fan when Melo went there and stopped after about two games. Just no passion in the nba game. its sterile.

I'm definitely in favor of a 30 second shot clock as well as fewer timeouts… and I agree that the rules regarding flagrant fouls needs to be changed. Although I don't blame losing the game tonite on this

College hoops needs help.

Shot clock down to 30, get rid of that garbage flagrant elbow call, call the hands check on the perimeter and the ridiculous hacks inside.

Maybe I just wanna see a better offensive team at SU...

Yes, it is horrible. Proof is last years team making the final or this years winning 25 in a row. These are two of the worst Cuse teams I have seen on offense in a very long time yet they had great accomplishments thanks to the D and the wretched state of college hoops. Coaches are taking advantage of terrible refs and poorly skilled players to take the air out of the ball and turn every game into a rock fight. Hell JB used to be known for offense and one our offense is horrid and our D great.

I can barely stand to watch Cuse games much less any non-Cuse games.

Not to mention the block/charge call good lord. Give the ball to the point guard and drive wildly towards the basket and you will end up with free throws (Unless you are CJ). In all honesty though, there are a lot of things that can be fixed.

Yes, it is horrible. Proof is last years team making the final or this years winning 25 in a row. These are two of the worst Cuse teams I have seen on offense in a very long time yet they had great accomplishments thanks to the D and the wretched state of college hoops. Coaches are taking advantage of terrible refs and poorly skilled players to take the air out of the ball and turn every game into a rock fight. Hell JB used to be known for offense and one our offense is horrid and our D great.

I can barely stand to watch Cuse games much less any non-Cuse games.
Sadly, I agree. Our offense had gone down the drain. Last year we stunk, this year was worse. I don't know what the solution is, but we need to recruit more kids that can actually handle the ball, create and also hit a jumper or two.

Another problem: commercials commercials. Time outs every 4 minutes. It is deadly to the flow of a game. When I was watching the recording of our game against Western Michigan, I actually fast forwarded through our offensive possessions due to boredom. I do believe it's not just us, although perhaps our zone and the way teams play us is also part of it. I always watch the games we win twice, especially when they are at the Dome since I go to every game. This year I hardly did it at all. The games were so ugly, I didn't care to watch them again.

I did watch the Duke game 3 times, though. And I do believe I will watch it again. Now, that was college basketball!

Sadly, I agree. Our offense had gone down the drain. Last year we stunk, this year was worse. I don't know what the solution is, but we need to recruit more kids that can actually handle the ball, create and also hit a jumper or two.
Our hof coach needs to stop reading his press clippings about the zone and coach an offense or hire someone who will. Our kids have good taken but seem to be only coached on D.

Agree about commercials 100%. You take a choppy game to begin with and every 4 minutes go to commercial... it is just irritating. Did anyone notice how we were gaining offensive momentum in the game tonight and then they went to the monitors for Cooney’s elbow and it just drained any momentum we had.

Having the flagrant foul rule be so black and white it moronic. A guy has to have room to move, and if a defender is stupid enough to stick his chin in a guy's chest he deserves an elbow. I actually don't have a problem with the pace. I hate watching the NBA with it's run and gun approach which is all to often a two man game. I think the primary problem with the college game is that so few players can shoot the ball and no rule change made on the college end will change that. If you go to a shorter shot clock, it will only lead to more missed shots. At least now teams will probe a defense and work for a quality shot.

Last edited:
I'll go one step further than a 30 second shot clock, let's go with a 24 second shot clock.

NBA players make shots
I think this is the key. College players used to make shots. Now it seems so many come to college with all the athleticism in the world and few fundamentals, and the few that have both jump to the NBA before anyone has the time to enjoy them on the college level.

I'll go one step further than a 30 second shot clock, let's go with a 24 second shot clock.
It college players have trouble making shots now, imagine how bad it would be when they're rushed (how many more shot clock violations would we force). Scoring may go up, but shooting percentages would probably go down. I don't know that that would make for a more entertaining game.