Is college basketball in a bad state? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is college basketball in a bad state?

It college players have trouble making shots now, imagine how bad it would be when they're rushed (how many more shot clock violations would we force). Scoring may go up, but shooting percentages would probably go down. I don't know that that would make for a more entertaining game.
Half the teams run around for 20 seconds before doing anything on offense. 24 seconds is plenty of time to set up a decent offensive set. I'm sick of watching PG's dribble away a the top of the key until the shot clock reads 15 seconds every possession, including our own Ennis.

Can’t wait for Richardson to get here and Lydon from what I have seen, those two can shoot!

Will agree to disagree. There is absolutely no excitement in an nba game. none. The game was great with Jordan, Magic, Bird, Dr J, etc. I honestly tried to be a Knicks fan when Melo went there and stopped after about two games. Just no passion in the nba game. its sterile.

The talent level in the NBA right now is insane.

Half the teams run around for 20 seconds before doing anything on offense. 24 seconds is plenty of time to set up a decent offensive set. I'm sick of watching PG's dribble away a the top of the key until the shot clock reads 15 seconds every possession, including our own Ennis.
The answer isn't as simple as a shorter shot clock. In 89-90, with a 45 second shot clock, we averaged 81 per game, and that was only good for 49th in the country. The year before we averaged 89 and there were 14 teams that averaged more than us. If it was as simple as changing the shot clock, we'd be scoring more now, but it's not. The thing hurting the college game is talents like Derrick Coleman and Billy Owens are one and done now, and there's nothing that can change that on the college end.

The talent level in the NBA right now is insane.

Sometimes for me this is what makes it boring to watch. It sounds absurd but all the great players in the league right now make it look too easy at times.

The answer isn't as simple as a shorter shot clock. In 89-90, with a 45 second shot clock, we averaged 81 per game, and that was only good for 49th in the country. The year before we averaged 89 and there were 14 teams that averaged more than us. If it was as simple as changing the shot clock, we'd be scoring more now, but it's not. The thing hurting the college game is talents like Derrick Coleman and Billy Owens are one and done now, and there's nothing that can change that on the college end.
Can't argue with that. Of course we didn't play the 2-3 zone as exclusively back then. We let our opponents run too much time off the clock when we're on defense. Need to press more next year to pick up the pace of games. I hate watching Syracuse consistently play in the 50's. It's dreadful and not prototypical Syracuse basketball.

Can't argue with that. Of course we didn't play the 2-3 zone as exclusively back then. We let our opponents run too much time off the clock when we're on defense. Need to press more next year to pick up the pace of games. I hate watching Syracuse consistently play in the 50's. It's dreadful and not prototypical Syracuse basketball.
I agree that we need to do more to control the pace. That's on JB to coach for that and develop enough of a bench for that. You rarely hear Pitino talk about a lack of depth preventing him from using the press, and if our length and athleticism is what makes our zone so good, it should also allow us to have a good press.

I'll go one step further than a 30 second shot clock, let's go with a 24 second shot clock.

HS kids in Canada play with 8 seconds to get it across the timeline, and a 24 second clock (FIBA rules). The problem with college hoops is that coaches, who earn their living coaching, understably are reluctant to give up control. Twenty-four and eight puts it all in the hands of the players, taking much away from the coaches. Coaches talk to AD's, and AD's talk to the NCAA.

HS kids in Canada play with 8 seconds to get it across the timeline, and a 24 second clock (FIBA rules). The problem with college hoops is that coaches, who earn their living coaching, understably are reluctant to give up control. Twenty-four and eight puts it all in the hands of the players, taking much away from the coaches. Coaches talk to AD's, and AD's talk to the NCAA.
So Ennis should have been quite comfortable running a faster pace all season.

So Ennis should have been quite comfortable running a faster pace all season.

Two things: He played the last 2 (?) years in American prep schools. And the guys around him have been playing under similar circumstances.

Two things: He played the last 2 (?) years in American prep schools. And the guys around him have been playing under similar circumstances.
It's probably more that he was told to run the team slow. He played on the Canadian national team with FIBA rules without a problem.

It's probably more that he was told to run the team slow. He played on the Canadian national team with FIBA rules without a problem.

Quite possibly.

One more thing I'd like to add to the discussion is the 3 point shot. I read a good article this year arguing that the 3 point shot has been bad for college basketball. It has taken away the midrange game and led to too many guys chucking it up that should not be doing so.
The diversity of the game has been hurt.

It's not going away of course. So I hope they move it out to the NBA line someday. That would be a great start. And I agree about a 30 second shot clock. And a 2 year rule to keep more talent in the game.

The 3 point shot has totally changed the game not only has it ruined mid-range jump shots but it also can keep inferior teams in the game if they can shoot it.

I agree that we need to do more to control the pace. That's on JB to coach for that and develop enough of a bench for that. You rarely hear Pitino talk about a lack of depth preventing him from using the press, and if our length and athleticism is what makes our zone so good, it should also allow us to have a good press.
Part of me thinks JB is content playing the same pace over and over and letting the zone control the game. He knows he'll be in every game, barring a barrage of 3's, and thinks his players more often than not will make enough plays on the offensive end. Do we really think he would press more often, or toss in a few possessions of man, or routinely shake up the pace of games? I don't know. Maybe occasionally, but without better offensive threats, we're going to see more of what we've been seeing.

One more thing I'd like to add to the discussion is the 3 point shot. I read a good article this year arguing that the 3 point shot has been bad for college basketball. It has taken away the midrange game and led to too many guys chucking it up that should not be doing so.
The diversity of the game has been hurt.

It's not going away of course. So I hope they move it out to the NBA line someday. That would be a great start. And I agree about a 30 second shot clock. And a 2 year rule to keep more talent in the game.
I think extending the line would only make things worse. Kids would still be practicing 3 point shooting and routinely chucking them up when open, only then it'd be a much more difficult shot to make.

College Basketball is awesome. Flawed, but awesome.

Fewer brands can dominate because of one-and-done. It's the equivalent of the NFL to some degree with the salary cap.

Agree on shot-clock to :30.

I don’t know how everyone else feels but I feel like the game is played too slow these days and the refereeing has been horrible. The flagrant foul rule is also probably the dumbest one I have seen because it takes away the offensive players ability to make a basketball play. The games just seem choppier than ever. I think the shot clock is too long also, watching stall ball against us this whole year got old pretty quick. Maybe it is just from watching it all year vs Us but it has been hard to watch at times.
Yes, college basketball is in a bad state. As far as players go, for the marquee teams, I hardly knew you. Most traditional rivalries are gone and will not be replaced. Players have more important things on their minds, like debuting for paycheck. Sad to say, the power conferences are the ones that are most broken and the mid-majors are healthiest.