Is Dion a top 5 pick? | Syracusefan.com

Is Dion a top 5 pick?

the question isnt really asked in the article... its more pointing out that his lofty goal.

He probably isn't a top 5 pick, but I remember many people on here saying there was no way Jonny Flynn would be a top 10 pick when he declared, so who knows. It's really a crap-shoot and has a lot to do with how well these guys do in combines and workouts and whatnot and also with how the lottery shakes out.

He probably isn't a top 5 pick, but I remember many people on here saying there was no way Jonny Flynn would be a top 10 pick when he declared, so who knows. It's really a crap-shoot and has a lot to do with how well these guys do in combines and workouts and whatnot and also with how the lottery shakes out.

A friend of mine entering the draft this year recently played against Dion in Las Vegas. He admitted Dion was the best on the court. And the friend is a Hoya, so he had to swallow some pride to admit that. hahahah. DW!

He said that every time Dion had the rock, he told his defender "you can't hold me." He also said that Dion made Ashton Gibbs look baaaaaaad several times. His stock is a-risin' that's for sure.

A friend of mine entering the draft this year recently played against Dion in Las Vegas. He admitted Dion was the best on the court. And the friend is a Hoya, so he had to swallow some pride to admit that. hahahah. DW!

He said that every time Dion had the rock, he told his defender "you can't hold me." He also said that Dion made Ashton Gibbs look baaaaaaad several times. His stock is a-risin' that's for sure.
So you know Hollis Thompson, is what you're saying? Man, what a roundabout way to name drop and humble brag...

It so happens that I just had dinner with my NBA scout friend. We did not talk specifically about where Dion might go, but we did talk about likely Top 5 draftees. No mention of Dion - he had a solid Top Four of Davis, Robinson (his personal #2), Kidd-Gilcrest, & Drummond. He felt there wasn't much difference between quite a few kids in the 5 to 10 range, but he did not have Dion in that group. He mentioned Perry Jones as highly skilled, but potentially very soft so, therefore, ... very risky. He also said Perry did not go through 3 on 3 workouts, so that may cause his stock to drop.

He did not like Fab due to character issues. He mentioned a story about Scoop that I will not repeat (nothing to do w drugs), but my guess is that it may well make the difference between Scoop's getting drafted in the second round or more likely not. We did not discuss Kris at all.

Finally, he said something that I found very interesting, and that amongst the NBA lottery teams there is an unwritten rule that teams do not keep their intended picks to be a surprise. Though, of course, sometimes you have teams that are legitimately undecided to the end & that as a result it does upset the expected order of things.

It so happens that I just had dinner with my NBA scout friend. We did not talk specifically about where Dion might go, but we did talk about likely Top 5 draftees. No mention of Dion - he had a solid Top Four of Davis, Robinson (his personal #2), Kidd-Gilcrest, & Drummond. He felt there wasn't much difference between quite a few kids in the 5 to 10 range, but he did not have Dion in that group. He mentioned Perry Jones as highly skilled, but potentially very soft so, therefore, ... very risky. He also said Perry did not go through 3 on 3 workouts, so that may cause his stock to drop.

He did not like Fab due to character issues. He mentioned a story about Scoop that I will not repeat, but my guess is that it may well make the difference between Scoop's getting drafted in the second round or more likely not. We did not discuss Kris at all.

Finally, he said something that I found very interesting, and that amongst the NBA lottery teams there is an unwritten rule that teams do not keep their intended picks to be a surprise. Though, of course, sometimes you have teams that are legitimately undecided to the end & that as a result it does upset the expected order of things.
No Beal in his top 5? That's a surprise, as everywhere I've looked has Beal going as high as 2. I personally think Beal is going to be a stud, too. He's very, very impressive.

Thanks for sharing, it's always interesting to get insider takes.

He did not like Fab due to character issues. He mentioned a story about Scoop that I will not repeat (nothing to do w drugs), but my guess is that it may well make the difference between Scoop's getting drafted in the second round or more likely not. We did not discuss Kris at all.

Does it involve Jordan's daughter?

No Beal in his top 5? That's a surprise, as everywhere I've looked has Beal going as high as 2. I personally think Beal is going to be a stud, too. He's very, very impressive.

Thanks for sharing, it's always interesting to get insider takes.
He scouts for the Bobcats, so they will draft no lower than #4, so his focus was on the first group of kids. He did not have Beal that high (in his top Four) & we did not specifically talk about Beal, but most likely he would be high up in that second 5 to 10 group. In past years he has mentioned some dark horse's, but that wasn't necessary this time around.

As mentioned, he loves Robinson, so I asked him if there could possibly be any doubt about Davis going #1...the answer was negative.

Does it involve Jordan's daughter?
There are many on this forum who are on or near campus and are much more familiar with various rumors about players than I am from 2000 miles away. I do not wish to post anything of a private, personal nature about Scoop or any other player. I only made the comment to shed light on the topic of the likelihood of Scoop's getting drafted...perhaps I even said too much. That is all. For all I know the story could have been inaccurate since it is at least third or fourth hand.

There are many on this forum who are on or near campus and are much more familiar with various rumors about players than I am from 2000 miles away. I do not wish to post anything of a private, personal nature about Scoop or any other player. I only made the comment to shed light on the topic of the likelihood of Scoop's getting drafted...perhaps I even said too much. That is all. For all I know the story could have been inaccurate since it is at least third or fourth hand.

HAHA so yes.

HAHA so yes.

why would that have an effect on him being drafted? and why would he be secretive about it if that is the story?

1 look at her public twitter feed and everyone knows who she is dating.

why would that have an effect on him being drafted? and why would he be secretive about it if that is the story?

1 look at her public twitter feed and everyone knows who she is dating.

Why so serious

Chad Ford said in his latest chat today that Dion goes somewhere between 6-13.

i'll stick with my original 20+. and double down against top 5.

So you know Hollis Thompson, is what you're saying? Man, what a roundabout way to name drop and humble brag...
If you say that without malice, then no worries. If you say that as a roundabout way to sound like an ass, still no worries. I don't know you, so I'll assume you weren't trying to sound like an ass. Is Hollis the only Hoya entering the draft? I honestly haven't done my research. But, it was an interesting and relevant story. The fact that it comes from a rival made it more interesting. I was honestly surprised by his unequivocal statement that Dion was head and shoulders above the rest. Cheers DW!

To the Raptors. Yuck.
Please not the raptors, please not the raptors... I'm tired of Cuse talent being squandered in the league. For the players, I hope they go as high in the draft as possible and get that contract security. For myself, I hope they go later to better teams.

If you say that without malice, then no worries. If you say that as a roundabout way to sound like an ass, still no worries. I don't know you, so I'll assume you weren't trying to sound like an ass. Is Hollis the only Hoya entering the draft? I honestly haven't done my research. But, it was an interesting and relevant story. The fact that it comes from a rival made it more interesting. I was honestly surprised by his unequivocal statement that Dion was head and shoulders above the rest. Cheers DW!
Yeah, it was meant as a nudge and wink joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom