Is Donte Greene Uncoachable? | Syracusefan.com

Is Donte Greene Uncoachable?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Why is he allowed to take contested 3's when he is surrounded by better 3 pt shooters? I understand the need to pull Haas away from the boards but he could do that without taking so many disastrous shots. His best offence is to drive all the way to the hoop and draw fouls. His pull-ups are no more accurate than his 3 point shooting. He has the whole package except the ability to be an efficient scorer.

Ah missed this.

I do wish Green took a couple less threes but part of what won us the game was his aggressiveness and ability to draw fouls and sink free throws. He attacked their big and it may have saved us.

admirable rebounding effort as well

edit: as a matter of fact I bet Green better aligned to the drawn up gameplan than anyone else. He got their Giant in foul trouble which saved our butts.

Donte once said, “Donte doesn’t need no coach, Donte is coach”

Not really but that’s probably his mindset. You know what you are getting out of him every game, whether you like it or not. Donte is the player he is and he ain’t changing for anybody

He was pretty impressive in last summer's Big 3.

When Donte was playing for the Orange he did exactly what his coach asked of him. He was heavily criticized on this board for it.
He took some bad shots back then too. I don't think on the court he was that criticized it was more his decision to leave that he took heat for.

Ah missed this.

I do wish Green took a couple less threes but part of what won us the game was his aggressiveness and ability to draw fouls and sink free throws. He attacked their big and it may have saved us.

admirable rebounding effort as well

edit: as a matter of fact I bet Green better aligned to the drawn up gameplan than anyone else. He got their Giant in foul trouble which saved our butts.
This is precisely the problem. If he could just do those things that have a high percentage of success more and the things that have a low percentage less then he would be excellent. Just giving away multiple possessions in a shortened game is extra brutal.

does it really matter at this point. He's a 32 year old ex NBA and EURO player out there trying to win in a format where there isn't a tremendous amount of structure. He's out there playing. Is Ryan Blackwell really trying to coach him up? He ain't changing who he is at this point and knows how to play the game. Strange post. It's a few games

there isn't a tremendous amount of structure. He's out there playing. Is Ryan Blackwell really trying to coach him up? He ain't changing who he is at this point and knows how to play the game. Strange post. It's a few games
What else are we supposed to talk/complain about? The weather? Trump? Not a lot else out there.

Why is he allowed to take contested 3's when he is surrounded by better 3 pt shooters?

He was quoted as saying they were trying to pull Haas to the perimeter. While it is true that there are some better 3 point shooters on the team, as an SU player Greene's 3 pt percentage for one year was better than Triche's for his career and only slightly worse than Richardson's 3 pt percentage. Don't make him out to be Jalen Carey-esque as a shooter. Besides, it isn't like anybody else was setting the net on fire from behind the arc either.

He was quoted as saying they were trying to pull Haas to the perimeter. While it is true that there are some better 3 point shooters on the team, as an SU player Greene's 3 pt percentage for one year was better than Triche's for his career and only slightly worse than Richardson's 3 pt percentage. Don't make him out to be Jalen Carey-esque as a shooter. Besides, it isn't like anybody else was setting the net on fire from behind the arc either.
forcing Haas to guard on the perimeter opens up driving lanes for the WHOLE TEAM....its called a game plan.....

Why is he allowed to take contested 3's when he is surrounded by better 3 pt shooters? I understand the need to pull Haas away from the boards but he could do that without taking so many disastrous shots. His best offence is to drive all the way to the hoop and draw fouls. His pull-ups are no more accurate than his 3 point shooting. He has the whole package except the ability to be an efficient scorer.
16 and 9 and some key defensive plays down the stretch. We do not win that game without him.

This is precisely the problem. If he could just do those things that have a high percentage of success more and the things that have a low percentage less then he would be excellent. Just giving away multiple possessions in a shortened game is extra brutal.
Agree about his shot selection. But at least in the last game he did a good job (trying) to defend Haas. Guy is a beast. Even a double isn't enough.

does it really matter at this point. He's a 32 year old ex NBA and EURO player out there trying to win in a format where there isn't a tremendous amount of structure. He's out there playing. Is Ryan Blackwell really trying to coach him up? He ain't changing who he is at this point and knows how to play the game. Strange post. It's a few games
Agreed. A bit oddly worded. “Uncoachable”? Seriously?

16 and 9 and some key defensive plays down the stretch. We do not win that game without him.
The 9 boards and defense were immense in the win. The 16 points came on 12 shots. Need better shot selection out of him going forward.

Agreed. A bit oddly worded. “Uncoachable”? Seriously?

The guy was a warrior yesterday. A little out of control at times? Sure, but he wasn't the only one. As for his 3 point shooting, the non-Donte players combined for 3 for 14 from behind the arc. Far from being uncoachable, it sounds like he pretty much went with Blackwell's game plan. He did a lot of the little things yesterday and was also a big part of the free throw shooting that was really the difference in the game. I never got the Dante hate. The guy gave us more than most frosh in his only year here and he has always bled Orange. Unlike a lot of former players he put his health at risk by being part of BA this year and he doesn't deserve the hate...nor has he ever deserved it.

He took some bad shots back then too. I don't think on the court he was that criticized it was more his decision to leave that he took heat for.
That team had no shooters. JB correctly deduced that Donte was his best bet for that role. Did he chuck a few? Sure. They all do.

I never got the Dante hate. The guy gave us more than most frosh in his only year here and he has always bled Orange. Unlike a lot of former players he put his health at risk by being part of BA this year and he doesn't deserve the hate...nor has he ever deserved it.

This x 1000. Well said, Dick.

Reactions: cto
Not hating on him. Agreed that he does many things right. However, it would be hard to find a more disastrous performance than his in last years loss. He does not pass. He sometimes tries to take over a game without recognizing that it is not his strength. In summary, he is a good athlete with an unreliable jump shot and he is not a good passer. Does he make others around him better? He mostly did a good job on Tuesday but I do not see why Blackwell would not ask him to cool it on the 3's. Its OK to take a few but there is also the concept of a few too many. We were cold from 3 but our drives were working. Most of our 3's resulted in turnovers given that we are not a good rebounding team. In a short game there is less room for having too many turnovers. The bigger question is whether this team can go all the way.

Think everyone wants him(and others) to take less dumb shots. Is him taking a 3 from 5 feet behind the line a dumb shot. Yes. I started screaming at the tv. Him getting a board and dribbling up court and bombing a 3 with no ball movement a dumb shot, yep. Did it go in, yep. Still dumb and low percentage. Same with all of the long 2s that were going up. This team isn't built to get many 2nd chance points so need to work on quality shots and making good use of possessions.

I could never believe how rough our fan base was on Donte when we was in college here, and I can't believe how rough people are on him now.

Expectations are so wildly high for him, for some reason that I can't fathom, that he has to have a perfect game or people jump to criticisms.

Greene didn't put up an all time great season as a freshman at SU, but he put up an all time great season for a 6'10 freshman. That should be good enough. You can usually count on bigs coming out of high school to struggle as freshman. How many guys 6'10 or taller had a better freshman year than Greene? Coleman and Lydon. Nobody else comes to mind. And Donte had it tough because both Rautins and Devendorf had season ending injuries that year so we needed him to try to stretch opposing D's because nobody else could.

And then in this game ... everybody has been on lockdown, nobody has been able to practice together and fans want to rail him because he had a bad shooting day? While he out scored and out rebounded the biggest and maybe the most talented center in the tournament while playing out of position? That's crazy to me.

I thought Greene was by far the best defensive player in the game on either team. I was very impressed and encouraged by his performance. The drop off in play with him at center compared to anybody else was noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom