Is Donte Greene Uncoachable? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is Donte Greene Uncoachable?

The more he missed, the less Haas needed to guard him. I would leave Donte alone until he made 2 in a row.
we took over 30 foul shots, Donte had 9 or 10 of them...
I agree I would have let the Donte shoot all day, before I let Devo get to the rim all game.

But if Donte doesn't shoot there is no need to guard him and Devo has a 7-3 waiting for him in the lane all game.

BTW donte is capable of getting hot from 3, shooting over 7-3 will effect his shooting percentage.

The point is one thing effects the other and the object is to win...

Donte Green Rules!
greene_rmu.jpg

He took some bad shots back then too. I don't think on the court he was that criticized it was more his decision to leave that he took heat for.

I had no issues that he left. Of course you did, but that would be expected.

I did have issues with his shot selection, and criticized them hard (maybe a little to hard). I understand that the situation that year required somebody to take more inefficient shots, and he had to take more (But that does not fully excuse the settling either). He settled way to much. He could have had the green light and worked a bit harder to get better shots, IMO.

we took over 30 foul shots, Donte had 9 or 10 of them...
I agree I would have let the Donte shoot all day, before I let Devo get to the rim all game.

But if Donte doesn' make shots, there is no need to guard him...
FIFY

Last edited:
Imagine being Donte and being 30+ and stumbling across a message board thread of fans of the college team you played for 13 years ago criticizing and debating what your game is like NOW. Lol. He’d have to think we’re all nuts.

The passion of the SU fanbase is off the charts.

Imagine being Donte and being 30+ and stumbling across a message board thread of fans of the college team you played for 13 years ago criticizing and debating what your game is like NOW. Lol. He’d have to think we’re all nuts.

In fairness, he is playing in one of the only sporting events going on right now on national television on a team named after our coach and that is so associated with Syracuse that the announcers invariably stop calling them by their actual name and flat out call them “Syracuse” during the broadcast. It’s not like we randomly starting watching Estonian League games and ripping his game apart. It would be more bizarre if SU fans weren’t talking about him.

As to his play: I’ve felt his style in previous years has been somewhat lazy: settling for low percentage outside shots and the like. He did a little bit of that in this game but overall it may have been his best game for BA. He made effort plays throughout, played pesky defense on Haas, rebounded well against him. I was really happy with his play.

He had his conscience removed in an experimental procedure just after his 16th birthday.

The good D as the de facto big man makes up for a few jacks. I do think we will need to start jacking and hitting 3s early in the clock to beat OE or Marquette those games I give everyone the green light. Every other team our offensive talent should make us favorites so play smart.

Would be nice to see this thread disappear before the game today. I like that this site isn’t over moderated but this is a little too negative a title IMO even if all the posts in it are reasonable and calling out the op.

The good D as the de facto big man makes up for a few jacks. I do think we will need to start jacking and hitting 3s early in the clock to beat OE or Marquette those games I give everyone the green light. Every other team our offensive talent should make us favorites so play smart.

Would be nice to see this thread disappear before the game today. I like that this site isn’t over moderated but this is a little too negative a title IMO even if all the posts in it are reasonable and calling out the op.

It’s a fan DISCUSSION board.

We’re discussing a player, who played a few days ago, and is playing again today.

I’m pretty sure everybody agrees that:
Donté was a net-positive for BArmy, and we don’t win without him.
His effort on D vs. Haas, rebounding, and FT’s were great.
His shot selection was turrible. Even the one 3 he hit, was a bad decision.

Mentioning the last part, in no way diminishes the first 2 parts.

And yes - I really, REALLY wish that Donté would pass on occasion, and/or not jack up bad shots early in the shot clock.

But I’m pretty sure that’s baked-in to his hoops persona at this point, since it hasn’t changed since college.

So - is that “uncoachable”?
You decide.

It’s a fan DISCUSSION board.

We’re discussing a player, who played a few days ago, and is playing again today.

I’m pretty sure everybody agrees that:
Donté was a net-positive for BArmy, and we don’t win without him.
His effort on D vs. Haas, rebounding, and FT’s were great.
His shot selection was turrible. Even the one 3 he hit, was a bad decision.

Mentioning the last part, in no way diminishes the first 2 parts.

And yes - I really, REALLY wish that Donté would pass on occasion, and/or not jack up bad shots early in the shot clock.

But I’m pretty sure that’s baked-in to his hoops persona at this point, since it hasn’t changed since college.

So - is that “uncoachable”?
You decide.
He shot .345 for us when he was the main outside threat on a team that played 6 guys due to injuries. The only gripe anyone can have is that he left but he’s honestly someone who was probably lucky to go 1st round can’t fault him. Tougher than given credit for wed have another title if more popular players rebounded as well as him.

I’m honestly thrilled he’s playing McCulloughs spot because he was a major disappointment given the hype and then got hurt and shut it down and somehow got lucky and was drafted. That’s a guy I’d prefer not be in the mix tbh he had what 2 good games for us?

He shot .345 for us when he was the main outside threat on a team that played 6 guys due to injuries. The only gripe anyone can have is that he left but he’s honestly someone who was probably lucky to go 1st round can’t fault him. Tougher than given credit for wed have another title if more popular players rebounded as well as him.

I’m honestly thrilled he’s playing McCulloughs spot because he was a major disappointment given the hype and then got hurt and shut it down and somehow got lucky and was drafted. That’s a guy I’d prefer not be in the mix tbh he had what 2 good games for us?

I'm not sure I would characterize McCullough as "shutting it down." A torn ACL would shut most basketball players down.

It's the only sports on right now. Monday we probably won't mention him for quite a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom