Is Ennis too unselfish? | Syracusefan.com

Is Ennis too unselfish?

Eric15

Living Legend
Don't get me wrong, I think his unselfishness and maturity are what make him such a fantastic player, but there are times, particularly in the first half of games, when I feel that he passes up good looks and just needs to pull the trigger.

It's probably a little difficult to know when to take the initiative when you've got (a usually solid) CJ Fair on your team.

Sometimes he seems like he hits a switch and suddenly goes from passing to scoring mode.
I wonder if it's the result of JB telling him to be more aggressive.

I would be very happy to see him be more aggressive about scoring.

Yes. Like my thread last night- he needed to shoot those wide open threes he had at the end of the game. There is no reason he cannot score 20 points consistently. He can get to the rim at will, can make the floater, and can make free throws. We absolutely need him to be aggressive, not even to score, but to get the tempo up. We played directly into BC's tempo, and that is alarming. This is exactly how team's are going to play us in March. You can bet they are going to watch this BC game film.

I agree with OP. In the first half, he had several solid opportunities. He got the ball, his feet were set, there was not a defender that close, and he passed the ball. It seems ironic to me (WARNING: I AM ABOUT TO MAKE A RARE ANALYSIS) but the very steadiness, deliberate pace he sets - considered one of his strengths - also puts more and more pressure on our guys to make a play in the last few seconds. In some ways, this strength is becoming a liability as the season wears on.

Edit: After having read more threads, it seems my "analysis" is just echoing what other people are saying!

I agree with OP. In the first half, he had several solid opportunities. He got the ball, his feet were set, there was not a defender that close, and he passed the ball. It seems ironic to me (WARNING: I AM ABOUT TO MAKE A RARE ANALYSIS) but the very steadiness, deliberate pace he sets - considered one of his strengths - also puts more and more pressure on our guys to make a play in the last few seconds. In some ways, this strength is becoming a liability as the season wears on.

Edit: After having read more threads, it seems my "analysis" is just echoing what other people are saying!
I'll add a bit to your analysis which I agree with. "The deliberate pace het sets" also frustrates me to an extent by the number of fast break opportunities Ennis passes up. With this team of finishers I would like to see him push the ball more. Too often (imo) I see him pull back short of the 1/2 court line and let everyone get down court to set things up.
I'll live with a few more turnovers if it means more fast break jams. If people think back to Sherm, he was great at pushing the ball and attacking on the fast break even when there didn't look like anything there. Every once in a while a pass would end up in the 3rd row but we didn't mind because of the great passes hen did make.

I think both of our starting guards are too unselfish and both could stand to shoot more. Not so much 3's but more mid-range and driving to the rim.

agreed. particularly when you have wide open 3's you need to shoot them. scoop, triche etc. they'd shoot those shots.

i was furious last night he passed up those end game wide open looks.

If anyone follows the Knicks, hes seriously playing like Pablo Prigioni and its maddening. Ennis is that dude but his play is tentative and his reluctance to take open shots is becoming a liability for a team that can't score. I'd rather have Ennis, Cooney and Grant taking the shots they get than whatever iso play CJ calls for himself.
CJ is awesome when he plays within the context of the team. He is NOT an iso player.

If my yelling at the TV "shoot the ball" is any indication, I would say yes.

If anyone follows the Knicks, hes seriously playing like Pablo Prigioni and its maddening. Ennis is that dude but his play is tentative and his reluctance to take open shots is becoming a liability for a team that can't score. I'd rather have Ennis, Cooney and Grant taking the shots they get than whatever iso play CJ calls for himself.
CJ is awesome when he plays within the context of the team. He is NOT an iso player.
Absolutely right. CJ is turning into senior year KJ right before our eyes. He needs to play within the context of the offense, not be the context of the offense. As I say that I'm not entirely sure what the context of the offense is right now other than high screen pick and roll primarily usign screeners that do not have the ability to roll (Rak/Baye).

Yes. Like my thread last night- he needed to shoot those wide open threes he had at the end of the game. There is no reason he cannot score 20 points consistently. He can get to the rim at will, can make the floater, and can make free throws. We absolutely need him to be aggressive, not even to score, but to get the tempo up. We played directly into BC's tempo, and that is alarming. This is exactly how team's are going to play us in March. You can bet they are going to watch this BC game film.

And, the ND, Clemson, NCSU films amongst others. Take your pick...the primary difference in those aforementioned games is the fact that BC hit their open shots, especially in the 2nd half, whereas the others hadn't.

Absolutely right. CJ is turning into senior year KJ right before our eyes. He needs to play within the context of the offense, not be the context of the offense. As I say that I'm not entirely sure what the context of the offense is right now other than high screen pick and roll primarily usign screeners that do not have the ability to roll (Rak/Baye).
Run Cooney off a screen, (if not there) followed by a CJ curl off a screen, (if not there) followed by Ennis pick and roll with Grant, (if not there) throw inside to Rak.

I'm pretty sure we would score enough running some sort of succession of those plays each time down. Not throw the ball to CJ and watch hilarity ensue.

Don't get me wrong, I think his unselfishness and maturity are what make him such a fantastic player, but there are times, particularly in the first half of games, when I feel that he passes up good looks and just needs to pull the trigger.

Couldn't agree more. Tyler needs to keep defenses honest by knocking down the outside shot, and for whatever reason, Tyler seems hesitant to shoot it unless he's so open he has no choice but to shoot. BC played off Tyler last night and was giving him the outside shot in order to prevent him getting to the basket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom