Is Frank Howard on the Scoop Jardine career arc? | Syracusefan.com

Is Frank Howard on the Scoop Jardine career arc?

Liked his game tonight, think he had a career high in points. Still some unforced turnovers though. He apparently played the entire 40 minutes as well. Let's hope he can maintain this going forward.

He did have some great games against easier competition last year but you can't deny his shot, body control, and confidence all look way better so far this year. Test will be how he reacts to getting punched in the mouth (figuratively).

He did have some great games against easier competition last year but you can't deny his shot, body control, and confidence all look way better so far this year. Test will be how he reacts to getting punched in the mouth (figuratively).
Yeah, he racked up a lot of assists early last year, but much of that was do to passing to the shooters. Most of his assists were not him creating for others, it was swinging the ball to a few great shooters.

Yeah, he racked up a lot of assists early last year, but much of that was do to passing to the shooters. Most of his assists were not him creating for others, it was swinging the ball to a few great shooters.

Which is still an assist. Getting the ball to shooters on time and in a location where they can hit the shot is a skill.

his handle and carelessness with the ball still scares the poo out of me. He flounders when pressured

Agree with this. I was seduced by the early games last year. I admit it. He hasn't really looked like a different player this year, for good and for bad. The form on his jump shot looks solid. But way, way too sloppy with the ball. Maybe this doesn't make any sense to anyone except for me but he looked like a Iona player tonight. Maybe that's enough against Iona but we need improvement for the ACC and I'm not sure what ails Frank is something he can improve since it's less physical than it is mental.

Agree with this. I was seduced by the early games last year. I admit it. He hasn't really looked like a different player this year, for good and for bad. The form on his jump shot looks solid. But way, way too sloppy with the ball. Maybe this doesn't make any sense to anyone except for me but he looked like a Iona player tonight. Maybe that's enough against Iona but we need improvement for the ACC and I'm not sure what ails Frank is something he can improve since it's less physical than it is mental.

This is exactly what i think of. And the fact i believe its mental is actually the thing that gives me hope. Because maybe that cures as his confidence improves. That being said, a good pg has a natural good handle ut frank dribbles too high and sometimes loses focus. Ive always thought he had good vision though. Interesting dude.

Hmm...Scoop was really good in his role off the bench as a sophomore on one of our best teams ever.

He had some rough moments as a Junior trying to do too much IMO, but still had his moments and was way better than Frank has ever been to date.

And then had a solid senior year on another great team.

I would love if Frank equals any of Scoop’s last three years.

Hmm...Scoop was really good in his role off the bench as a sophomore on one of our best teams ever.

He had some rough moments as a Junior trying to do too much IMO, but still had his moments and was way better than Frank has ever been to date.

And then had a solid senior year on another great team.

I would love if Frank equals any of Scoop’s last three years.

Yeah, don't see many parallels in game or in terms of fans' opinions (there were plenty on this board who hated scoop to the end so maybe that's the parallel).

Scoop still had a way better feel for the game earlier in his career. Even Boeheim said in the presser (paraphrasing) that he isn’t a real PG and that it is still going to take time with him. I’m not sure I like that admittance, frankly, considering he has been here now for awhile. I think Boeheim is worried. I mean what coach wouldn’t be?

WAY too loose with the ball which is unacceptable for the postion. Some of those unforced turnovers are killers. He’s going to get more guards picking him up fullcourt and that scares me. His shot his looking really good. I just think his lack of instincts still, lack of speed/change of direction, shaky handle is going to become more and more evident against good guards.

What concerns me also is what he said postgame. In the clip with Oshae somebody asks him about Tyus’s performance. First thing he says is that HE and Tyus need to play off of each other. He and Tyus need to be the leaders. To me it seemed like he changed the question to deflect praise away from Tyus’s performance and heroics. Maybe I’m wrong.

Last edited:
This would be an appropriate thread for recycling my daughter's picture of me for Father's Day 2014. Scoop had already been gone for two years, but my daughter's picture had me screaming at Scoop on the TV while having an apparent coronary. That said, if Frank turns into "senior Scoop," I would take that.

scoop.jpg

his handle and carelessness with the ball still scares the poo out of me. He flounders when pressured

While yes he still turned the ball over last night I don't think it was the stupid turnovers in important situations like he has done in the past. He made one really bad TO last night but he still seems in better control of the game than he once was

This would be an appropriate thread for recycling my daughter's picture of me for Father's Day 2014. Scoop had already been gone for two years, but my daughter's picture had me screaming at Scoop on the TV while having an apparent coronary. That said, if Frank turns into "senior Scoop," I would take that.

View attachment 115188

Amazing photo. I must have shouted, "SCOOP DONT TAKE THAT...you're lucky you made it..." a thousand times that year.

People forget that he played pretty well for the first 6 or 7 games last year.

Let's wait to see how he does against real competition.

Iona is real competition. They are picked to win the MAAC this year and have a more experienced team than SU does.

Sans the unforced errors, he played well last night. He's more confident on the offensive end, taking shots that he wouldn't have done last year. Helps to know that you won't be yanked immediately for a mistake.

I still don't think Frank's a PG. His handle isn't tight enough against any type of pressure to feel secure. His decision making is questionable when pressured. He has a tendency to kill his dribble too far out. It's going to show up when we play higher caliber teams. Let's see how he progresses.

I still don't think Frank's a PG. His handle isn't tight enough against any type of pressure to feel secure. His decision making is questionable when pressured. He has a tendency to kill his dribble too far out. It's going to show up when we play higher caliber teams. Let's see how he progresses.

THIS.

Scoop was a combo guard, but more of a PG who could score.
Frank is a combo guard, but like 90% SG, who also sometimes makes a nice pass.

We can only pray that Frank gets on the Scoop career arc - we need a PG.

Or we really need Geno and/or Tyus to emerge more as playmakers, if Frank can't or won't.

Scoop had philly swag.

Need frank to have some good games vs p5 comp like uconn and maryland. Build his confidence. Know he can execute.

He has the tools and size. Its all confidence now imo.

Take the ball out of his hands and put him at off guard and he's a much better player.

Yes, I actually like him as a player there. He can shoot and I think he can get by other SG and get in the paint. Syracuse for awhile has not had playmakers at the SG position. As a PG, god no. He will struggle moving forward against guard pressure and I don’t think he will be able to drive against good and quick guards. Maybe he will transform but I haven’t seen many positive steps with these issues, frankly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom