Is it Bills or Bust for DM? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is it Bills or Bust for DM?

Doubt he gets that Buffalo would take Lovie and Whisenhunt over him.

Its a shame this is all getting blown out of proportion. He only have a 20% chance of getting a job anyways. I hope he manages to get himself and his assistants a raise from all this crap though.

You mean 'all this crap' that Marrone himself generated?

But let's say Doug gets the job and he takes the Bills to a playoff in year 2 - can anyone say hero worship?
I have no doubt he is capable of doing that. IMHO, he does need to develop thicker skin to deal with negatives and become less passionate to better absorb setbacks. that is why I wish he stays in SU for a few more years to get us in to a more sustainable stage and at the same time becomes more polished.

IF he comes back, DM will need to do some serious damage control on the recruiting front...

Its one thing to be spoken about as a potential coaching candidate. Its a completely other thing to actively interview with half the league.

Chip Kelly was considered an NFL candidate for the last 3-4 years. It wasn't until this past year that he really went after it though. Our Dougie decides to hit the open market at the first sniff of a job.

This will leave a stain on the recruiting trail for the remainder of his tenure here at Syracuse
This will not be a strain for us any more than any school we're competing with for recruits. Name the school that isn't a stepping stone, particularly in our sphere.

I agree with going after Alex Smith but I wouldnt mind Nassib as a guy who doesnt need to step in right away. Rd 2 might be too early, but Nassib could be gone by rd 3.

Im reading the Buffalo messageboard and DM is getting alot more traction today. Lots of talk of him bringing Shafer if he comes here. Buffalo fans warming up quickly when they open their eyes and see Marrone was a big part of the Saints offense and Shafer is the complete opposite of Wannstedt.
A first year hc isn't bringing first year coordinators. That's where you get some grizzled vets, likely w hc experience, to help. Thing morningwhig, norv, etc

Wasn't Doug our 3rd or so pick? That might be his lucky number and as much as I'd love for him to stay at Syracuse the Bills would be making a good choice in selecting him to be their HC. Lovie would give them a solid coach that the players would play hard for but I honestly think Doug would take them to another level as long as him and the GM can work together on what direction they are going.

But let's say Doug gets the job and he takes the Bills to a playoff in year 2 - can anyone say hero worship?

The owner is 94, the GM is 73 and the team can leave in as few as seven years. It is NOT a job for an up-and-comer. It's a job for someone who can't get a job anywhere else. If the Bills had an owner who didn't have to read the obituaries every morning to see if his name is listed and a GM who didn't sound like an extra from The Andy Griffith Show, then maybe I'd think this would be a good move for DM. The fact that the team can't attract quality free agents without overpaying them and could move in seven years would still make me advise DM not to take the job.

IF he comes back, DM will need to do some serious damage control on the recruiting front...

Its one thing to be spoken about as a potential coaching candidate. Its a completely other thing to actively interview with half the league.

Chip Kelly was considered an NFL candidate for the last 3-4 years. It wasn't until this past year that he really went after it though. Our Dougie decides to hit the open market at the first sniff of a job.

This will leave a stain on the recruiting trail for the remainder of his tenure here at Syracuse
Gotta disagree. If HCDM pledges allegiance to SU and they announce a contract extension, SU recruiting will take an immediate step up because we locked up a hot property. They say that any publicity is good publicity. This puts us with the big boys.

Gotta disagree. If HCDM pledges allegiance to SU and they announce a contract extension, SU recruiting will take an immediate step up because we locked up a hot property. They say that any publicity is good publicity. This puts us with the big boys.
it certainly doesn't lock him up. if he's still desirable for nfl teams next year, they'll just pay the buyout. no big deal to them. it's great for us because it buys us time to be ready for next time. if we have a good enough year for him to be snatched, that probably means hackett would be in line for the job. right now, that would be iffy.

Its starting to look like its Buffalo or bust for Marrone. As of this moment, the realistic landing spots (and competition) looks like this:

Arizona: Not interviewing DM
Bears: Not interviewing DM
Bills: Interviewing DM, Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith (among others)
Browns: Chip Kelly
Chargers: Not interviewing DM
Iggles: Not interviewing DM
KC: Andy Reid

Buffalo's decision is to whether hire an NFL retread or go to the college ranks. Looking at that list, I'd bet smart money that its Lovie Smith. But this is the Bills, so smart money is out the window.

Something tells me this is DM's job to lose...

Gailey's problem was the offense specifically having a stud running game and losing games with Fitzpatricks arm/head/fumbles/inability to escape sacks etc. Marrone on paper fixes that. The defense is not far from being pretty good. Stacked with Alabama/LSU guys. Gilmore got 3 season's worth of experience his rookie year. Beside, the theory is Lovie was cut loose in Chicago because the offense underperformed. Buffalo has to be looking for an offense upgrade.

Do you think Strong interviewing at Tennessee will hurt the Cards recruiting?
As long as Marrone publicly recommits himself to staying at Syracuse (analogous to what Strong did at UL), then I think the NFL interest only helps recruiting by raising his profile.
Lousiville has been a coaching carousel ever since Schnellenberg left, and they have at a consistent decent level since.

How about this.. Buffalo does not offer HCDM and HCDM stays with us. We give him a raise 2.2 mil and a extending 6years... Put a HUGE buy out in there 15mil. We go to the ACC and go to to the BCS bowl game... Now bigger NFL teams want him (giants,cowgirls). 15 min buyout is payed to Cuse we have the funds now for a practice ficility. We have ACC $$$ for a new HC.. Then I would not feel so bad.. Sound good?

We give him a raise 2.2 mil and a extending 6years... Put a HUGE buy out in there 15mil.

Do you not know how negotiations work? If SU goes to him offering an extension, HCDM is completely in control. Why would HCDM agree to a huge buyout?

How about this.. Buffalo does not offer HCDM and HCDM stays with us. We give him a raise 2.2 mil and a extending 6years... Put a HUGE buy out in there 15mil. We go to the ACC and go to to the BCS bowl game... Now bigger NFL teams want him (giants,cowgirls). 15 min buyout is payed to Cuse we have the funds now for a practice ficility. We have ACC $$$ for a new HC.. Then I would not feel so bad.. Sound good?

Except highly unlikely we win ACC without facilities

it certainly doesn't lock him up. if he's still desirable for nfl teams next year, they'll just pay the buyout. no big deal to them. it's great for us because it buys us time to be ready for next time. if we have a good enough year for him to be snatched, that probably means hackett would be in line for the job. right now, that would be iffy.

They didn't pay O'Briens, that's why he's back at PSU, no other reason.

Do you not know how negotiations work? If SU goes to him offering an extension, HCDM is completely in control. Why would HCDM agree to a huge buyout?

Actually that is how it works we will give you this but we will need that, just may cost more

Because he loves Syracuse so much... Thanks for peeing in my Cheerios thou!! SMH

Actually that is how it works we will give you this but we will need that, just may cost more

Then he leaves after next year and takes the best job he can get...a better college job or even an OC in the NFL if he has to. SU has no leverage.

Then he leaves after next year and takes the best job he can get...a better college job or even an OC in the NFL if he has to. SU has no leverage.
If DM doesn't get an NFL offer, which it doesn't look like he will, SU does have some leverage over him. It puts them in position to meet him somewhere in the middle of his demands and where he is now.
The only way SU has no leverage is if DM gets an NFL HC offer.

If DM doesn't get an NFL offer, which it doesn't look like he will, SU does have some leverage over him. It puts them in position to meet him somewhere in the middle of his demands and where he is now.
The only way SU has no leverage is if DM gets an NFL HC offer.

I agree

The other party always has leverage.

As a Syracuse fan and a Buffalo Bills fan observer, let me just say...

NOOOOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT, DOUG!!!!

Bills = career suicide.

I'd like to double-down on this statement.

Prediction: Doug is fired in 3-4 years then has to work as a position coach for several years before someone makes him an OC again. Then maybe, many years later, if he's lucky, another crappy franchise will make him head coach again. See Mularkey, Mike.

He must have REALLY hated being at SU.