Is it just me, or has the officiating... | Syracusefan.com

Is it just me, or has the officiating...

EnnisEnvy

Scout Team
been horrible the entire year? Watching the UW/KU game last night and the blocking fouls called, you might as well not even try getting in position to take a charge. The defender has almost no chance anymore. Kentucky just flat out started trucking guys in the paint. Did they even score 10 points outside the paint last night? It looked like a charge on the UW player late in the second half as well.

I'm at a loss.

I can only hope a Kentucky fan sees this post and their head spontaneously explodes when they see "KU".

I was getting a little tired in the first half of watching one of the Harrison twins tuck the ball under their armpit and barrel down the lane into a UW defender only to draw the blocking foul. Every. Time.

I was getting a little tired in the first half of watching one of the Harrison twins tuck the ball under their armpit and barrel down the lane into a UW defender only to draw the blocking foul. Every. Time.

And it was Jackson every time. He was there long enough to play the extended version of Monopoly before getting plowed.

And it was Jackson every time. He was there long enough to play the extended version of Monopoly before getting plowed.

lol...I'm not a fan of standing in place as as a substitute for defense, but there was one (prolly the same one ur referring to) where the WI player was just planted in the lane for a good 5 seconds - I assume in the zone. I'm not sure he even saw Harrison coming till the last second and then was hit. That has to be a no call or offensive. Officiating is just so odd.

Fans here watch the ball because that's what the camera shows them. Officials "referee the defense," which means they primarily watch the defender and that's invariably a different look than what the camera gives the average fan. They're not perfect, and yes they boot a call here and there, but they're nowhere near as bad as most think.

The thing is they have been doing it all year and I have yet to see an offensive call but it's always on the defender. I can't stand the Harrison's.

The officiating has sucked the last few years. I know the one play in the Wisc/UK game late in the 2nd half when the Wisc guy stripped the ball away from UK guy, got called for a foul. That was pivotal play as Wisc was up 5 and going the other way. Instead UK gets ball back and converts an and 1 play to get the lead down to 2.

The thing is they have been doing it all year and I have yet to see an offensive call but it's always on the defender. I can't stand the Harrison's.

If you have yet to see it called on the offensive player, Watch CJ Fair drive to the basket at the end of the game at Duke.

been horrible the entire year? Watching the UW/KU game last night and the blocking fouls called, you might as well not even try getting in position to take a charge. The defender has almost no chance anymore. Kentucky just flat out started trucking guys in the paint. Did they even score 10 points outside the paint last night? It looked like a charge on the UW player late in the second half as well.

I'm at a loss.
that is the point, that is the way it should be

What's wrong with the Harrisons?

that is the point, that is the way it should be

That isn't the way it should be. If it's a charge it should be called as such. If the NCAA wants to do away with the charge call then right it out of the rules. You should not have two exact plays be called opposite ways. If Fair charged then so did Harrison and it should be called the same way.

Fans here watch the ball because that's what the camera shows them. Officials "referee the defense," which means they primarily watch the defender and that's invariably a different look than what the camera gives the average fan. They're not perfect, and yes they boot a call here and there, but they're nowhere near as bad as most think.

The play I am referring to showed the replay from above which included the defender the entire play. No, they aren't perfect but instead of making the play easier to call they have made it harder with the new interpretation that now it is the "upward motion of the ball" that begins the shooting/passing motion. This in and of itself makes it virtually impossible for the referee to primarily watch the defender as you suggest. He would have to watch the offender for the upward motion of the ball and then switch to the defender to see if he was set. This cannot be done simultaneously.

I'm at a loss.

Outside of the Harrison drive where I felt he was out of control, I thought the calls were right.

With that said, the block/charge call in NCAA is a mess right now. It should be called as it is in the NBA, both by the written rule and the spirit of the rule.

The fact that a charge is anything other than when an offensive players is out of control is infuriating.

and they dropped their shoulder every single time before plowing into the defender. I turned to the guy next to me after the second call and siad "I didn't realize they had fourth and one calls at an NCAA BB game"

That's what drove me nuts about the fair call. Almost every single borderline block/charge call I've seen this year has been called a block. Including one on Parker earlier in the 2nd half. Still a disgrace they called that a charge.

That isn't the way it should be. If it's a charge it should be called as such. If the NCAA wants to do away with the charge call then right it out of the rules. You should not have two exact plays be called opposite ways. If Fair charged then so did Harrison and it should be called the same way.
taking a charge is not a defensive play, the rule is written that way

The play I am referring to showed the replay from above which included the defender the entire play. No, they aren't perfect but instead of making the play easier to call they have made it harder with the new interpretation that now it is the "upward motion of the ball" that begins the shooting/passing motion. This in and of itself makes it virtually impossible for the referee to primarily watch the defender as you suggest. He would have to watch the offender for the upward motion of the ball and then switch to the defender to see if he was set. This cannot be done simultaneously.

Now we're beginning to understand how difficult it is. :) The rule of thumb is basically "referee the defense, and if the defender didn't do anything wrong, we don't have a defensive foul." As far as trying to see both, you first hustle to get into a good angle; and you use your peripheral vision and your experience to know when the player with the ball began his "habitual shooting motion." You also focus back and forth between the two as the play allows, trying to see the whole play. That's why you see more and more often the ref making the call "half a count late." Especially on the really close plays. For in that half-second after the play, you usually can see the mental movie and thus the entire play. It's hard to describe, and certainly not easy to do. Especially in transitional play.

Another thing you look for is whether the defender is actually playing defense, or is he is just trying to draw a charge, and that's not always easy at the Div 1 level. If a guy is actually playing defense and gets run over, chances are it may be an offensive foul. Other guys are trying too hard to get knocked over, and you have to see blood before you'll give those guys a call.

Now we're beginning to understand how difficult it is. :) The rule of thumb is basically "referee the defense, and if the defender didn't do anything wrong, we don't have a defensive foul." As far as trying to see both, you first hustle to get into a good angle; and you use your peripheral vision and your experience to know when the player with the ball began his "habitual shooting motion." You also focus back and forth between the two as the play allows, trying to see the whole play. That's why you see more and more often the ref making the call "half a count late." Especially on the really close plays. For in that half-second after the play, you usually can see the mental movie and thus the entire play. It's hard to describe, and certainly not easy to do. Especially in transitional play.

Another thing you look for is whether the defender is actually playing defense, or is he is just trying to draw a charge, and that's not always easy at the Div 1 level. If a guy is actually playing defense and gets run over, chances are it may be an offensive foul. Other guys are trying too hard to get knocked over, and you have to see blood before you'll give those guys a call.

Ok, then by your definition none of the calls on Jackson should have been a foul. Referees may be in good position but that does not mean they have a good angle. It doesn't bolster your argument that they have to use their peripheral vision and experience between the defense and offense in a split second. It also is not their "habitual shooting motion" it is the " initial upward motion of the ball" as stated in the new rule this year.

So, your saying if a defender is not playing "defense" and he is just standing there the offensive player can just run through him with no foul? Unacceptable according to the rule. Like I said before, if that is what they want it to be, eliminate the charge altogether but there cannot be this many subjective pieces to the call. It makes for inconsistency and frustration for players and coaches alike.