Is it too early to fret about CJ Fair? | Syracusefan.com

Is it too early to fret about CJ Fair?

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
Just hear me out.
I'll preface this by saying that each season one player seems to disappoint more than others. Scoop, Brandon, KJo all at one time displayed flashes that made you salivate about where they'd be after 3-4 years. Consequently, there were no shortage of times I'd be yelling at my TV, because I'd come to expect so much more than what they were showing. So, any criticism of CJ is strictly based on those few glimpses and my own perception that he's faded a bit- that he's no longer on an upward trajectory, but has remained relatively flat.
Normally I wouldn't be too worried if after 5 games, one of our guys isn't playing well.
But am I the only one who's noticed that CJ hasn't played well since the end of conference play last year?
I figured he was tired, maybe nicked up a little, but he's not quite gotten back to that potentially dominant player we all thought he'd become...IMO.

Yes, its still very early- but the "Swiss Army Knife" rebounding, wicked slams in Pitt's face CJ, seems to be gradually fading away. Am I reading this wrong, or do you guys see what I see?

Nah he will be fine, he went away from what was working for him and decided to be a 3 point shooter this year.

Just hear me out.
I'll preface this by saying that each season one player seems to disappoint more than others. Scoop, Brandon, KJo all at one time displayed flashes that made you salivate about where they'd be after 3-4 years. Consequently, there were no shortage of times I'd be yelling at my TV, because I'd come to expect so much more than what they were showing. So, any criticism of CJ is strictly based on those few glimpses and my own perception that he's faded a bit- that he's no longer on an upward trajectory, but has remained relatively flat.
Normally I wouldn't be too worried if after 5 games, one of our guys isn't playing well.
But am I the only one who's noticed that CJ hasn't played well since the end of conference play last year?
I figured he was tired, maybe nicked up a little, but he's not quite gotten back to that potentially dominant player we all thought he'd become...IMO.

Yes, its still very early- but the "Swiss Army Knife" rebounding, wicked slams in Pitt's face CJ, seems to be gradually fading away. Am I reading this wrong, or do you guys see what I see?

No... he is going to be the odd man out come tourney time.

Reactions: MGP
Nah he will be fine, he went away from what was working for him and decided to be a 3 point shooter this year.
Yeah, but its not just his shooting that's faded.
His rebounding isn't as strong, and his handle and decision-making seems weaker as well.
I don't know how many passes he threw away vs Arkansas & EMU, but it seemed like alot.

I'm on the verge of maybe starting to worry. If, after the first week of January, we are still talking about this—then I'll start to worry about CJ.
Agreed, though, he has not been good since about early March last year.

CJ is trying to expand his game, and its taking away from what he does best right now.

While we have visions of him growing his game, CJ probably feels the pressure to do that as well. And maybe its not really in him. He just needs to determine what he can do well, and now is the time to do that, and coaches may be encouraging it (for now). I am confident he will figure it all out by BE play... and if he can't coaches will help guide him to his necessary role.

Yes. He'll have more than a few Wisconsin games in him this year for sure.

His rebounding isn't as strong, and his handle and decision-making seems weaker as well.
I don't know how many passes he threw away vs Arkansas & EMU, but it seemed like alot.
He lost his focus imo early on. Strayed away from his strong points and will get better.

Just hear me out.

I agree he regressed a bit and it's not because of the new role. When James is on the court CJ is playing the same role as he did last year when he played with Kris. He is the PF and yes not having Fab hurts because CJ will get slightly more attention, but he is not scoring with his mid-range and he is not finishing around the basket against lower competition. People who think it is just a switch that he will hit against better competition are nuts. It is not like he isn't trying (maybe he is trying too hard) but the concern is valid because we need CJ to play well. James was getting doubled on the catch against EMU and CJ should have been able the kill for doing that and he didn't.

On personal note I need to figure out how to be critical of one our players without being perceived as personally attacking the person. Basketball is a passion of mine but I am never trying to personal. I root for all our players to do well, go pro and fulfill their dreams. I like CJ but if you are not worried about his performance your not watching.

He is doing what many young guys do..they start to fall in love with their jumper when they have some confidence in it. I have no doubt CJ will be back to what we've come to expect, once the B.E. rolls around...

I'm sure he will find his nice runner in the lane again, but here's what's important to me.
I don't care who is invisible in a given game, as long as we WON!

We've seen this before out of great teams. Anyone can step up and be the man, and opposing teams must hate not knowing who to key on.
CJ is going to blow up when other teams are not expecting it...that's the beauty of an unselfish team.

CJ is trying to expand his game, and its taking away from what he does best right now.
I think that's a good way to put it.

On personal note I need to figure out how to be critical of one our players without being perceived as personally attacking the person.
you'll have better luck figuring out how to transmute lead into gold

On personal note I need to figure out how to be critical of one our players without being perceived as personally attacking the person. Basketball is a passion of mine but I am never trying to personal. I root for all our players to do well, go pro and fulfill their dreams. I like CJ but if you are not worried about his performance your not watching.

Your criticism doesn't come across as personal, IMO. The same can't be said of everyone on this board, however.

Your criticism doesn't come across as personal, IMO. The same can't be said of everyone on this board, however.
A lot of it has to do with repetition.

I see that but who do you respond to a counter argument without being a little repetitive?
Mix in alot of "IMHO's" and you'll be fine.
Plus, you should always use a few Michael Corleone- "It's not personal, just business..." metaphors.
Sometimes we forget that we're all rooting for the same team, but I say...F' em if they can't take a joke! ;)

It seemed like more than the numbers indicate; he's having a lot of difficulty putting the ball on the deck. His defense also leaves something to be desired. And he's attempting way too many weak, low-percentage layups around the rim. (Actually, all of this is reminiscent of our previous starting small forward.)

I think Fair is one of our best players and expect him to pick it up. Not too early to fret, though, he hasn't been quiet for a couple games, he's played poorly for a couple games. Big difference.

Mix in alot of "IMHO's" and you'll be fine.
Plus, you should always use a few Michael Corleone- "It's not personal, just business..." metaphors.
Sometimes we forget that we're all rooting for the same team, but I say...F' em if they can't take a joke! ;)
Too many thin skinned people here. I hear worse at games.

I think there can be some concern with CJ in expanding his role. It may take some time, or we may have to live with some sluggish starts. It's the price we may have to pay to get the 6th man of the year and to keep the new, improved substitution patterns out of JB. A lot of people, myself included, thought a better complement to Rak at the 4, would be JS at the 3. But with Cooney not ready, that lineup would not have a shooter come off the bench. I gladly accept JBs less than ideal starting lineup if it helps continue his relatively new trend of more liberal substitutions.

As br801 points out, CJ will be in there for big minutes in key games. CJs high BBall IQ and experience remain rock solid (and solid is good). The minutes to JS, Rak, and DC2 will fluctuate more depending on the situation and the minutes to Cooney will shrink in big games.

I, of course, would love to see CJ hit that 12 footer with that uncanny consistency he had before. That is a great weapon. That should return, and when it does this topic will fade away.