Is it too early to fret about CJ Fair? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is it too early to fret about CJ Fair?

I see that but who do you respond to a counter argument without being a little repetitive?
Give it one shot and if the person doesn't get it, let it go.

Aside from repetition, another problem is when someone says a player is bad, doesn't deserve their playing time, or that someone else is better. There's usually no need for that.

I sometimes wonder if the SDST offensive burst from CJ didn't alter everyone's perception of the kind of player CJ is. He is not a high volume type of scorer. He is a slasher who picks his spots and now has added the ability to make a couple threes a game if needed. Otherwise he is just a smart player who helps us space the floor. I am not so sure that having CJ be an 11/5 or 11/6 a guy is such a bad thing... maybe not the explosion we expected but with MCW,JS and BT leading the way maybe stability is all thats needed..

This thread is entertaining. I'm not sure CJ was or is supposed to be a superstar scorer, rebounder, do it all do it evey night type of player. People get a grip and put his ability and potential contributions into perspective. Debate his performance all you want, but it's easy for me, I'll take him in my starting 5. There are other areas of this team that need improving before claiming CJ needs to come of the bench. Geezzz...

Give it one shot and if the person doesn't get it, let it go.

Aside from repetition, another problem is when someone says a player is bad, doesn't deserve their playing time, or that someone else is better. There's usually no need for that.

I will try and let it go more often "It not a personal strong suit of mine..lol!"

But I never say a person can't play I say they are not playing well (everybody on the team can play), PT is about competition I mean this is a sports forum if we don't discuss PT then what the point?

I've always been a bit worried about his height, he's great at rebounding usually but if he was a legit 6' 8, he wouldn't have taller players snagging boards over him. It's similar to Paul, he was ferocious but just wasn't tall enough at times to get the rebound. I don't think it's as big a problem for C.J. but it worries me when he gets outrebounded by taller forwards.

I've always been a bit worried about his height, he's great at rebounding usually but if he was a legit 6' 8, he wouldn't have taller players snagging boards over him. It's similar to Paul, he was ferocious but just wasn't tall enough at times to get the rebound. I don't think it's as big a problem for C.J. but it worries me when he gets outrebounded by taller forwards.
I guess that's why he couldn't quite beat out Fab for #1 rebounder last year.

Don't worry about CJ . . . it is very typical that as your usage goes up, your shooting percentage dips and your turnovers increase. His rebounding numbers will take a hit because there are better rebounders on the floor with him this year than last - he's losing more boards to his teammates than he is to the opposition, so no harm there. The thing with CJ is that, even though his FG percentage is down, he is drawing fouls at a pretty good clip . . . that boosts his true shooting percentage.

Cj's stats to start this season...
10 rebounds 17 points.
4 rebounds 7 points. (only 22 minutes)
6 rebounds 12 points
4 rebounds 8 points (only 20 minutes)
4 rebounds 12 points
5 rebounds 9 points (only 25 minutes)
ave 5.5 reb 10.8ppg

CJ's stats to start last season.
5 rebounds 9 points (21 minutes)
6 rebounds 6 points
9 rebounds 4 points
2 rebounds 13 points
10 rebounds 12 points (31 minutes)
5 rebounds 10 points (35 minutes)
5 rebounds 3 points (we beat EMU 84 to 48 last year also weird)
ave 6 reb 8.1ppg

Doesn't seem to far off from last year. Hes playing more minutes 29.3 mpg vs 24.1, but we get better rebounders in Rak, DC2, James stepping it up and MCW.

Hell no. I am far more worried about Rak at this point as he has shown me next to nothing. I'd rather see Keita in there at this point.

I'm not worried about CJ. A couple of things that could change how he plays may be Coleman being down low a lot and that keeps a big guy there and how well CJ can move to his right. Baye knows how to slide away/cut as does Christmas to a point. SU's facing different defenses and skilled players and sometimes CJ plays accordingly to that as well.

Just hear me out.
I'll preface this by saying that each season one player seems to disappoint more than others. Scoop, Brandon, KJo all at one time displayed flashes that made you salivate about where they'd be after 3-4 years. Consequently, there were no shortage of times I'd be yelling at my TV, because I'd come to expect so much more than what they were showing. So, any criticism of CJ is strictly based on those few glimpses and my own perception that he's faded a bit- that he's no longer on an upward trajectory, but has remained relatively flat.
Normally I wouldn't be too worried if after 5 games, one of our guys isn't playing well.
But am I the only one who's noticed that CJ hasn't played well since the end of conference play last year?
I figured he was tired, maybe nicked up a little, but he's not quite gotten back to that potentially dominant player we all thought he'd become...IMO.

Yes, its still very early- but the "Swiss Army Knife" rebounding, wicked slams in Pitt's face CJ, seems to be gradually fading away. Am I reading this wrong, or do you guys see what I see?
Depends what you are fretting about. I think it is way too early to think he wont be a very effective cog in our machine. But...i think its legitimate to say that he hasnt exactly leaped forward from last year. I thought he had 1st team all conf potential, but the things he needed to improve upone - handle, right hand, strength, etc, all seem to have flatlined. I still think hes a good player for us, but i dont really see 'special' in him. But...its early december and as others have pointed out there are a lot of other potential reasons for his struggles.

I guess that's why he couldn't quite beat out Fab for #1 rebounder last year.

Knew I would get some smartass remark about what I said because someone would think I was hating on him. C.J. has the best natural ability on the team to rebound, like Paul did, but at times his height keeps him from getting a few more, like Paul. That's all buddy.

Knew I would get some smartass remark about what I said because someone would think I was hating on him. C.J. has the best natural ability on the team to rebound, like Paul did, but at times his height keeps him from getting a few more, like Paul. That's all buddy.
I didn't think you were hating on CJ or anyone else. I guess I'll just have to dial up the sarcasm meter for you next time. And please hold the "buddy" comments.

16 pts. 13 rebounds in 21 minutes.
Thats only 30 points and 25 rebounds per 40 minutes. Defenetly.