Is JB insanely superstitious or did he promise RAK he would start this year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is JB insanely superstitious or did he promise RAK he would start this year?

CJ is playing 38 minutes a game. What difference does it make if he starts instead of Rak? NONE.
A better question is why has the coaching staff failed to develop Rak at all this year and does the guy have any potential to contribute next year?

I expected JB to start Rak this season and thought it would allow Rak to develop into a contributing player by the end of the season. However, when Rak is pulled after 1.5 min and the team repeatedly gets out to slow starts, it no longer makes sense. The slow starts are the difference.

I expected JB to start Rak this season and thought it would allow Rak to develop into a contributing player by the end of the season. However, when Rak is pulled after 1.5 min and the team repeatedly gets out to slow starts, it no longer makes sense. The slow starts are the difference.
His confidence has to be shot when it happens. Why start the game for 2 min?

Guys, it's obvious. JB starts him so he can pull him right away for the benefit of the crowd.

The whole thing seems really odd. I don't recall JB ever having a starter on a shorter leash than Rak. You might argue that Melo fell into that area last year as well, his conditioning and JB's desire to try to be able to keep Rick at the PF may have been the reason for continuing to go with Melo. In any case whether he's done it with Melo and Rak or just Rak, I can't recall him ever employing this technique before with any other player. In fact its usually the opposite with JB, where starters are guaranteed long leashes and 30+ minutes per game.

Guys, it's obvious. JB starts him so he can pull him right away for the benefit of the crowd.

I am a real AMERICAN! Fight for the right of every MAN!

Maybe it's JB's way of punishing RAK. Maybe they had high expectations for RAK, and he came in unprepared...not in good enough shape, or prepared to battle. SU needs a rebounder BADLY. Maybe JB has told RAK, "I'm going to start you every game, and take you right out if you're not rebounding." For RAK, it might be worse to be yanked, than to sit on the bench.

How can this possibly help Rak's confidence? This isn't a Fab situation, where the kid is just out of game shape. He's pulled at the first dead ball just about every game now.. whether he does something poorly or not.

How can this possibly help Rak's confidence? This isn't a Fab situation, where the kid is just out of game shape. He's pulled at the first dead ball just about every game now.. whether he does something poorly or not.

Which is indefensible. And has some posters scrambling to invent mistakes that Rakeem made.

Which is indefensible. And has some posters scrambling to invent mistakes that Rakeem made.

Right, it has nothing to do with mistakes. JB inexplicably starts a guy that he has no confidence in, and pulls him after 2 minutes of play, regardless of his play. And the fact that anyone thinks this is normal, or productive, or good coaching, is shocking to me.

Rak is like Pavlov's dog at the first whistle - he's already headed to the bench. Doesn't even look over.

Right, it has nothing to do with mistakes. JB inexplicably starts a guy that he has no confidence in, and pulls him after 2 minutes of play, regardless of his play. And the fact that anyone thinks this is normal, or productive, or good coaching, is shocking to me.

Rak is like Pavlov's dog at the first whistle - he's already headed to the bench. Doesn't even look over.

Nothing to do with mistakes! Rak is playing well out there! Leave him in stoop!

Ok...if Rak's mistakes are so severe and so persistent that he deserves to be pulled after a minute of play, why does he deserve to continue starting? One of life's great mysteries on the Hill.

How about this one: JB does it so the team will get credited with a lot of bench scoring points when they put that graphic up. Makes him look like a genious.

Ok...if Rak's mistakes are so severe and so persistent that he deserves to be pulled after a minute of play, why does he deserve to continue starting? One of life's great mysteries on the Hill.

Like I said in a different thread, sometimes its about the guy on the bench (comfort, etc). Plus it virtually assures 40 mpg for CJ. Finally, sometimes you just dont mess with the recipe.

I'd like to submit this for dumbest post in board history.

I think he promised Rak a starting spot during the recruiting process. The people who keep saying "we're 28-1! JB doesn't need to change anything!" are out of their minds. Rak starting has nothing to do with that record, and the fact that this is the second year in a row where we have a "token" starter, is very, very strange.

I have to agree with this. No other explanation fits. "He earned it in practice" just doesn't work. I think he promised it during the recruiting process, and I think he did it with Melo last year - same thing. JB and his staff would deny this to their graves - they would have to. It can never be proven one way or the other.

I'm sure some recruits would find this critical, just as some dumbass posters think who starts is critical. Of course, anyone with more than half a brain knows it's who finishes in crunch time that counts, but there are a lot of fans out there with less than half a brain.

I think JB (along with a few other coaches) are seeing that the best way for an intimidated rookie to get his feet wet is to play briefly at the start of a game.

The glamour of being a starter has faded over the last few years and JB is using the beginning of the game to introduce frosh (especially frosh that have potential) to D1 which is way more physical/faster than what they were used to in HS, not to mention playing in front of a huge crowd. A minute or two is all they really need at this point in their development to get a feel for the pace of the game. I honestly don't believe JB makes any promises to recruits as he has said many times.

How long do you think it would be before kids would complain to other recruits about JB "promising to start me then pulling me after a minute"? Would never fly...

Future recruits see that boeheim keeps his promises. If rak got more minutes, future recruits might not know that he was promised anything. this way, everyone in the world sees it "hey boeheim keeps promises"

If true, i wouldn't like it that future recruits could see this as a bargaining chip. "I'll sign, but only if you promise me a starting position." Not good. I also don't see it as a 'plus' to a recruit — seeing Rak getting jerked out of the game at the first opportunity, regardless of what he's done/not done.

This is all vaguely reminiscent of Craig Forth's 'promised starts.' Although, in that case, it was speculated it was his positive attitude, work ethic, academic work, etc. that gave him such favor with JB. I don't remember him being on such a short leash, though.

If true, i wouldn't like it that future recruits could see this as a bargaining chip. "I'll sign, but only if you promise me a starting position." Not good. I also don't see it as a 'plus' to a recruit — seeing Rak getting jerked out of the game at the first opportunity, regardless of what he's done/not done.

This is all vaguely reminiscent of Craig Forth's 'promised starts.' Although, in that case, it was speculated it was his positive attitude, work ethic, academic work, etc. that gave him such favor with JB. I don't remember him being on such a short leash, though.

First, it certainly doesn't seem like JBs normal operating procedure. But if true, he certainly doesn't do it for everyone - see MCW. Looks like he only does it for the bigs. Recruiting in this day and age is tough, good to see JB throw something new in there, seems to be working. There were a lot of years when SU never got the talented bigs, if this is what it takes, stay the course.

If this is what it takes to get Noel, I say go for it. He can't be any worse than XMas.

The problem may be if you do get Noel with this clause, do you have to keep starting Rak at PF next year? That would mean DC2 would have to sit, unless he has a deal (he is a McD big). And if DC2 also has a deal, that would be a massive starting lineup - Noel, DC2, and Rak coming out of the gate. It would only be for a couple of minutes but it would be awesome nonetheless.

And what if Fab stays? He looks to have the deal based on last year. That would mean having to move Rak out up top - yikes. Playing until the first whistle with Noel, Fab, DC2, and Rak - that's a lot of lengh there.

I was trying to explain it to my wife last night. I honestly believe that he promised him a starting position. I don't see it any other way.

Alternate viewpoint: two years ago, people were bemoaning that he didn't get Dashonte Riley any developmental playing time throughout the year. So when Arinze went down, Riley wasn't adequately prepared from an experiential standpoint to contribute.

This year, they're complaining about JB playing the frosh big. Can't have it both ways.

No question, Rak isn't contributing much. But he came through in that Cinci game when we needed him to during Fab's suspension--so maybe starting him hasn't been the worst idea.

i know a lot of people here believe that JB is a college basketball genius. but frankly this start and pull crap he's devised the past couple seasons with fab and rak is just so incredibly stoopid imo. who benefits really? it's humiliation 101.

Rak has the best record of any SU frosh starter to begin his career. He is doing great!

i know a lot of people here believe that JB is a college basketball genius. but frankly this start and pull crap he's devised the past couple seasons with fab and rak is just so incredibly stoopid imo. who benefits really? it's humiliation 101.

Stupid in the sense of hindering development? Like Fabs? Really? Do you think Rak might be motivated this offseason?

Or stupid in the sense of hurting recruiting? Once again, really? You think Noel is scared?

Count me as one who is enjoying the change. It extends the bench. JB has had troubles playing deep, this move helps him. It is a little different when you don't start your 5 best players. It has JB substituting not just for foul protection anymore. Some of his better players have started on the bench the last 3 years. I like it. The bench is a weapon.

sorry but tip off and 40 seconds doesn't help your bench. that's just boxscore BS.

sorry but tip off and 40 seconds doesn't help your bench. that's just boxscore BS.

Agree, it doesn't do much for the bench, although something is better than nothing.

Bur what about possilble development for Rak, what about possible motivation for Rak, what about a positive impact on recruiting for SU? Couldn't those less obvious factors point to pure genius?

I don't think JB would promise a guy a starting spot. Even if he did, he could always pull him later and tell Rak that he gave him a chance it was best for the team to give the spot to somoeone else. I seriously doubt he would try to find a loophole like pulling him after a minute just to stick to the literal meaning of a promise. I think JB feels that Rak will improve in the future and grow into the starting spot. In the meantime, he can give him the chance to get comfortable starting. This seemed to work well for Melo. The team has enough firepower in the other 4 starters, that it won't affect us adversely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom