Is our offensive game plan changing? | Syracusefan.com

Is our offensive game plan changing?

Crusty

Living Legend
Below are the stats for each game with total plays, Rushing Plays, Passing Plays and the ratio of runs to passes.
With Allen in the first two games we were even to more pass plays. Starting with Wagner, we started to shift towards more rushing plays.

Game - Plays - Rush - Pass - Ratio R
PSU - 74 - 37 - 37 - 1.00
NW - 79 - 34 - 45 - 0.76
Wagner - 83 - 48 - 35 - 1.37
Tulane - 70 - 44 - 26 - 1.69
Clemson - 77 - 48 - 29 - 1.66
NC State - 61 - 40 - 21 - 1.9

It seems as if we are becoming a 2:1 run pass team. (It was also interesting that the first play of the NCS game was a designed QB run rather than Smith off tackle.)

We are now third in Rushing Offense in the ACC behind GT and FSU BUT we are 1st vs conference opponents. We are 11th in Passing Offense BUT last vs ACC teams.

I don't know if RunDMC was suited up or not and I know GMII was injured so doesn't mean anything that Jerome, PTG and Terrel were the only ones that got rushes. However, Jerome got almost half the touches, which finally seems right to me.

At first glance tt seemed as if the Kool Kid may have decided that the only way we win is to rely on the OL and our backs including Hunt. However, a closer look may give a hint that these choices may really only be game specific.

Both Clemson and NCS appear to have had better pass defenses than rushing ones so we tried to run on them. Makes sense.

The best Rushing Defenses are in order vs conference opponents (overall in parens):
  1. Virginia (7)
  2. Va Tech (1)
  3. FSU (3)
  4. Boston College (13)
  5. Pitt (6)
  6. Ga Tech (4)
  7. Syracuse (2)
  8. Wake (10)
  9. Clemson (9)
  10. NC (14)
  11. Maryland (5)
  12. NC State (8)
  13. Duke (12)
  14. Miami (11)
Obviously, this is a small sample early in the season but it does seem as if NCS and Clemson are not the toughest run defenses in the conference and everybody we have left to play may (I say may) be better. I should note that BC drops to the bottom when all opponents are counted and Wake drops to 10th.

Pass Defenses are interesting. Versus ACC teams (overall in parens):
  1. Miami (1)
  2. Clemson (4)
  3. NC State (5)
  4. NC (13)
  5. FSU (2)
  6. Va Tech (3)
  7. Ga Tech (9)
  8. VA (8)
  9. Wake (6)
  10. Pitt (10)
  11. Duke (7)
  12. BC (12)
  13. Syracuse (14)
  14. Maryland (12)
We have played two of the best pass defenses in the conference and have yet to play 4 of the worst 6. These same teams appear to be somewhat better at Run D

Going forward, it looks like the match ups that would favor us are Boston College and Wake. BC is really not very good at all. and Wake is a good match up for us.

GA Tech is the real toss up game. The two worst passing teams in the division are Ga Tech and us. It will be the running game - strength against strength and we are two of the best running teams and our run defenses are ranked pretty high.

Maryland could shred us with their passing game if we haven't fixed the wholes in the secondary but we may actually be able to pass on them. We should be able to run on then, I like our chances in this one.

Pitt will be a dog fight, it always is. This might come down to how well Hunt passes. It is 5 games from now so hopefully he will be a different player by then (and maybe the WRs will show up).

Three of the last six games are, of course, at home so we got that going for us - which is nice!

The more I look at this stuff the more I am convinced that NC State was critical to our bowl chances.
Go Orange, Blue, Cuse!

Last edited:
does this include our games with them? we bumped NC state up by almost 50 yds and clemson by close to 40.. you take our game and NC st is top 15 and clemson top 25 in the NCAA stats

is virginia the best or do we ignore the 350 oregon had.

hard to believe we had two horrible games and still top 60 in total D..

People should take note PSU is 17th, clemson 22, nc st 33, tulane 56th.

NW is 100th but we moved the ball against them

GT/Pitt/Wake,FSU, maryland all top 50 as well.. ONLY BC struggling to stop people left on the schedule

does this include our games with them? we bumped NC state up by almost 50 yds and clemson by close to 40.. you take our game and NC st is top 15 and clemson top 25 in the NCAA stats

is virginia the best or do we ignore the 350 oregon had.

hard to believe we had two horrible games and still top 60 in total D..

People should take note PSU is 17th, clemson 22, nc st 33, tulane 56th.

NW is 100th but we moved the ball against them

GT/Pitt/Wake,FSU, maryland all top 50 as well.. ONLY BC struggling to stop people left on the schedule

Yes, through 10/12/2013.

NC state was 17th I'm the country vs the run before Saturday, and I'm sure Clemson was far higher before we ran 300 on them. I honestly think this is more about us than the defenses we've faced.

I think a lot of e game plan has to do with our WR's inability to get open. West looks he does not even have a clue hoe to run a route or he is having trouble since the other teams top DB's are matched up with him.

Let's hope the coaching staff can land Cooper, Ishmael, etc. because we need some playmakers!!!

I think a lot of e game plan has to do with our WR's inability to get open. West looks he does not even have a clue hoe to run a route or he is having trouble since the other teams top DB's are matched up with him.

Let's hope the coaching staff can land Cooper, Ishmael, etc. because we need some playmakers!!!
This isn't all on the WR's...Hunt hasn't been very good passing the last two games. Thankfully, he brings other intangibles to the offense that gives us a chance to win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom