Class of 2014 - Is plan B in effect for D? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Is plan B in effect for D?

Crusty

Living Legend
With late offers to defensive recruits flying around all over the place (Harvey, Sapp, Thibodeaux, Campbell and others) have we moved to plan B to fill out the class?

Doesn't seem like the same thing is happening on the offensive side of the ball.

I don't follow recruiting as closely as perhaps I should so maybe this is not an accurate observation.

I think it varies by position... And I don't think we're to D. The coaches that I've seen their board or talked with them about this (not the CUSE coaches) put recruits into classifications or tiers. You may have any number of guys for a position in a tier. How many guys get an offer in that tier depends on the time of the year and your need. No way of knowing how the coaches have these guys graded out. But, I think it's safe to say we're into B and maybe further for some positions, but, you never know unless you're in the office.

Last edited:
Plan B for outer D.

As long as the coaches have all of the players are graded high and not just space fillers for a position, I'm happy. A lot of talent all around and way better than we have had in the the past regarding the next guys up.

I don't have a problem with the quality of the players - just trying to follow it. I was just thinking that they must be more confident about the offensive because I don't see as many new guys coming out of nowhere.

or maybe the staff has kept these players on the down low for a while to keep the bigger programs from sniffing around if other BCS programs offer early on.

These players are highly thought of

or maybe the staff has kept these players on the down low for a while to keep the bigger programs from sniffing around if other BCS programs offer early on.

These players are highly thought of

That was the other possibility of course. Would sure love to know.

I think kids like the two DT's you are honest with, I am sure they talked to the kids, etc before the past week. You tell them you have a few kids rated higher, etc. They fall through we will offer, these kids were heading to GA Southern, Ball St, or somewhere similar. They probably would be happy to accept the offer. goes downhill, bigger programs do this to us all the time. I am sure there are 4-5 kids committed to Cuse that would flip if offered by say a school like ND, PSU or Michigan et. I didn't say all, I said a few

The DT’s are B-Listers but not the other kids and I’m ok with this because big DT’s don’t grow on trees. Crume was not highly recruited. If we bring in 2 and 1 excels then it’s paid off.

I know nothing about the Harvey kid but he sure as hell looks the part. That pic that was posted of him is impressive.

The DT’s are B-Listers but not the other kids and I’m ok with this because big DT’s don’t grow on trees. Crume was not highly recruited. If we bring in 2 and 1 excels then it’s paid off.

I know nothing about the Harvey kid but he sure as hell looks the part. That pic that was posted of him is impressive.

None of our DT's were highly recruited and we did pretty well this year. The only one that was Manley and he couldn't even get on the field and transferred.

DT is the one position year in, year out, where you have the lowest number of "ready to play" type players. I think we're going to have to continue to go the developmental route with the position until we are a consistent top 15ish team.

Agree. All 3-4 B lister DTs we're recruiting at the finish have good upsides, but are indeed developmental projects. I'll compare them to Marcus Coleman types, whom we all liked his potential when recruited, but the reality was he needed at least 2yrs to see the field, as well as, a whole bunch of S&C development. The only difference this yr is most of the B list DT candidates are a well put together bunch, physically speaking. All said, most of us thought Zeke Johnson would take at least a RS yr, but look what happened there. Ya never know.

Seems to me we weren't in on many DT's to begin with. Holley? Not sure who else. Could be these guys were on the board from the beginning, and we are just hearing about them.

Seems to me we weren't in on many DT's to begin with. Holley? Not sure who else. Could be these guys were on the board from the beginning, and we are just hearing about them.

We thought we had Rodney locked up. Wake came in real late after Clawson was hired. Even then we still thought we had him.

Some may have been further down the pecking order chart early on, but others are probably recent developments, like Campbell and Thibodeux. I'm sure we were aware of the GA DTs, and possibly Rodney, too.

If you look at our strong recruiting areas, FL, NY, IL, PA, New England - none of them had strong years for DT's, and I think that had a lot to do with it. The two guys besides Holley that we really pursued were Armon Watts who committed to Arkansas and Rodney, one in Missouri and the other in SC. Florida and Georgia had some really high end DT talent but we're not getting that, and the next layer where we tend to really do well was very thin this year.

If you watch the highlight films for Sapp & Harvey (the two big DTs), you won't see them as B listers. SU must have rated Rodney higher (on quickness), but Sapp & Harvey are powerful DTs.

Looking forward to the stories about how the staff made it happen, with late contacts (assuming it works out).

I think kids like the two DT's you are honest with, I am sure they talked to the kids, etc before the past week. You tell them you have a few kids rated higher, etc. They fall through we will offer, these kids were heading to GA Southern, Ball St, or somewhere similar. They probably would be happy to accept the offer. goes downhill, bigger programs do this to us all the time. I am sure there are 4-5 kids committed to Cuse that would flip if offered by say a school like ND, PSU or Michigan et. I didn't say all, I said a few

Sounds like Nick Robinson's recruitment.

If you look at our strong recruiting areas, FL, NY, IL, PA, New England - none of them had strong years for DT's, and I think that had a lot to do with it. The two guys besides Holley that we really pursued were Armon Watts who committed to Arkansas and Rodney, one in Missouri and the other in SC. Florida and Georgia had some really high end DT talent but we're not getting that, and the next layer where we tend to really do well was very thin this year.

Holley (OSU), Hays (ND), Mokwuah (ND), and two Jucos, Heurtelou (Miami), McDowdell (UCF). I'd say NY had a very good year for DT's. SU just didn't get other than Wayne Williams.

Holley (OSU), Hays (ND), Mokwuah (ND), and two Jucos, Heurtelou (Miami), McDowdell (UCF). I'd say NY had a very good year for DT's. SU just didn't get other than Wayne Williams.

Not really, the point is that the guys we typically target and land at DT, the areas we recruit were pretty light this year. We were a major longshot at best of landing Holley or Hays, hell Hays committed to ND in November - of 2012. We have no recent success whatsoever of landing 4/5 star ready to play prep DT's. Heurtelou JUCO'd in Arizona and blew up. McDowdell wasn't coming here. We probably had a shot at Mokwuah but I don't believe we recruited him. Most of the prospects you mentioned were out of our price range to begin with, it was a very good year for high end DT talent but not so much in our recruiting areas for the 2/3 star type prospects.

Not really, the point is that the guys we typically target and land at DT, the areas we recruit were pretty light this year. We were a major longshot at best of landing Holley or Hays, hell Hays committed to ND in November - of 2012. We have no recent success whatsoever of landing 4/5 star ready to play prep DT's. Heurtelou JUCO'd in Arizona and blew up. McDowdell wasn't coming here. We probably had a shot at Mokwuah but I don't believe we recruited him. Most of the prospects you mentioned were out of our price range to begin with, it was a very good year for high end DT talent but not so much in our recruiting areas for the 2/3 star type prospects.

I was responding to the comment that NY didn't have a strong year in the DTs.

So I guess the point is that it wasn't a deep year for average talent.

I'm for Harvey. A guy coming to NY from Bama to play football would have a lot to live up to, and he looks capable of doing it. Imagine the storyline , " How did the SEC let this kid get away to play for Syracuse? " We could even call him Alabama. I like it a lot.

I'm for Harvey. A guy coming to NY from Bama to play football would have a lot to live up to, and he looks capable of doing it. Imagine the storyline , " How did the SEC let this kid get away to play for Syracuse? " We could even call him Alabama. I like it a lot.
Having seen the movie True Romance, that won't work for me.
th

I was responding to the comment that NY didn't have a strong year in the DTs.

So I guess the point is that it wasn't a deep year for average talent.

More or less - NY had a top heavy year for DT's and FL did as well.