Is Rebounding Important? | Syracusefan.com

Is Rebounding Important?

rstone7727

All Conference
Rebounding so far this year:
We have been out rebounded in 10 games this year but have won 9 of them.
We have been out rebounded in 6 of 10 BE games 347-313 but are 9-1.

rebound.jpg

is this a rhetorical question? Of course rebounding is important. Come tourney time (Big East, NCAA) if we get out-rebounded chances of winning dwindle.

yes, it is very important. but fortunately we have been able to neutralize it by not turning the ball over, getting steals, and blocking shots. Also we are the best shooting team in the BE and one of the 2 best defensive teams in the BE. If we did rebound better, nobody would come close to us.

I think it's very important. If we don't give up 19 offensive boards (!!!) we win this game easily. Obviously, winning the turnover battle by a large margin (17-6 today) partially offset all the rebounds we gave up. But if they shoot just a little better than 40%, we don't win this game. When we don't rebound adequately (I won't say well, because we can't seem to do that), we don't have a large margin of error, particularly the way we have been shooting lately.

It's definitely important. However deficiencies in any category can be overcome by doing well in other categories, like our steals and points off turnovers today. Of course we can't always rely on getting that many points off of turnovers, so it would be helpful if the rebounding improves.

It's the one thing we don't do well. I'd bet that WVU had more possessions than us today, which probably has only happened 1 (ND) or 2 other times this year.

Syracuse plays a style where it is going to give up more offensive rebounds than most do. However they get more steals, more blocks, and more transition points than anybody in the country. It is a trade off that Boeheim intentionally makes, and its the right call. Just look at this game, Syracuse was beat by 20+ on the boards and missed more open shots than I have ever seen a D1 team miss, and they still won.

Rebounding can be important to some teams in some games, but its not important to this Syracuse team, and this game against West Virginia was as much proof as anybody should need.

interesting enough our interior d was stout enough to only put us down 13 to 8 on 2nd chance points... at least per espn. in games where we struggle to score its a major problem we are doing good on the offensive boards to the point we help nullify that some.

It's not as important as many make it out to be given our advantages in some of the other areas (turnovers, transition, etc). That said, it needs to be better. It's ok for this team to get beat on the boards as long as the margin is something -5 to -8. We cannot win a title getting doubled up on the boards.

Rebounding is incredibly important. How can any reasonably intelligent basketball fan argue otherwise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom