Is Shafer a lifer? | Syracusefan.com

Is Shafer a lifer?

VaSaltine

Starter
Ok, with everything that just went down with Marrone, who most probably believed would end his coaching career at Syracuse, can we not think the same thing with Shafer? After reading a couple of his quotes (Syracuse reminding him of is hometown Cleveland, starting to question if he would ever be the #1 guy), I can't help but think that he might be the guy for the next 20 years. Granted we don't know what he can do yet as a head coach but assuming he has success, I don't know why it couldn't happen.

Ok, with everything that just went down with Marrone, who most probably believed would end his coaching career at Syracuse, can we not think the same thing with Shafer? After reading a couple of his quotes (Syracuse reminding him of is hometown Cleveland, starting to question if he would ever be the #1 guy), I can't help but think that he might be the guy for the next 20 years. Granted we don't know what he can do yet as a head coach but assuming he has success, I don't know why it couldn't happen.

Noone is a lifer anymore. They just dont exist.

If he's really good and we get 10 years out of him, I would be ecstatic.

We have to learn to not read into that stuff. And like Marsh said, being a "lifer" just doesn't exist now days, nor is it realistic. Let's look at Marrone's situation, had we continued losing this year, more than likely he would have been fired before his contract was up, and no one would have had patience to see if he could fix his mistakes. So why would anyone want to give longterm loyalty to a job that is only as loyal as the next winning season?

If he hires Walker for his OC he won't be. I kid. I agree, I don't think they exist anymore. All the more reason for recruits to commit to a school/program and not a coach.

I think we are fine as long as the Baldwin Wallace job doesn't open up.

bwyellowjackets.jpg

Go BW, Proud Winners of the Cuyahoga Gold Bowl Again!

5 years is about the best you should hope for. The JBs and Frank Beamers are dinosaurs

With moderate
with moderate success, Marrone got a major bump in four years. Assume it would work about the same with Schafer. That's just the business

I guess we have to define "lifer"
Just looking at current memebers of the ACC, factoring out Beamer because he's from the Boheim school of longevity, including Jim Grobe at Wake it looks like the days of having the Coach P's, and Mac's for decades are pretty much a thing in the past.

School/Conference/Head coach/First season
Boston College Eagles
ACC
Steve Addazio
Clemson Tigers
ACC
Dabo Swinney
Duke Blue Devils
ACC
David Cutcliffe
Florida State Seminoles
ACC
Jimbo Fisher
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
ACC
Paul Johnson
Maryland Terrapins
ACC
Randy Edsall
Miami Hurricanes
ACC
Al Golden
North Carolina Tar Heels
ACC
Larry Fedora
NC State Wolfpack
ACC
Dave Doeren
Virginia Cavaliers
ACC
Mike London
Virginia Tech Hokies
ACC
Frank Beamer
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
ACC
Jim Grobe
Good info. The Big East is even worse. DM became the BE coach with the most senority after 3 seasons in the league, didn't he? I think Coach P is now the guy with the most seniority. Of course, in the Big East, even the schools have no staying power.

I've learned my lesson in getting my hopes up in regards to coaching tenure.

That being said, I think it will have more to do with his high school freshman daughter than anything else. Unless he craps the bed in year 1 or 2.

I've learned my lesson in getting my hopes up in regards to coaching tenure.

That being said, I think it will have more to do with his high school freshman daughter than anything else. Unless he craps the bed in year 1 or 2.
He's 46 I should hope he isn't crapping in the bed yet...

Lifers in coaching I think are more accidental than planned.

Thye exist in the gray area between failure and success.

Their records aren't bad enough to get them fired. Nor are they good enough so that a bigger college program or a pro program can't live without them.

We have to stop worrying about whether or not a coach is a "Lifer." Obviously, you don't want to hire someone who is certain to be gone in a year or two. But beyond that, there are too many variables to control. And you want to hire the best guy you can who can help build/sustain a program. But if he has success, he will likely leave. That's true for virtually every program in the country. Syracuse is not unique in that regard. We have been spoiled by Coach Boehiem, and the long tenures of some other coaches.

In the Lacrosse wo
We have to stop worrying about whether or not a coach is a "Lifer." Obviously, you don't want to hire someone who is certain to be gone in a year or two. But beyond that, there are too many variables to control. And you want to hire the best guy you can who can help build/sustain a program. But if he has success, he will likely leave. That's true for virtually every program in the country. Syracuse is not unique in that regard. We have been spoiled by Coach Boehiem, and the long tenures of some other coaches.
In the Lacrosse world, SU is "Alabama" and there is no real NFL.

Honestly, how can you consider yourself a thinking creature and still ask this question?

i hope he does so well he gets offered -

is he our beamer? time will tell

I believe I read that his daughter is in 9th grade or close. I would imagine that she would at least like to finish her high school years out here after spending the last four in cuse. I imagine that at least this pays a part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom