Reception Leaders in 2024 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Reception Leaders in 2024

Was JRS that good at Colorado state? I haven’t checked him out yet.
JRS was 3rd leading receiver on that 5-7 Colorado St team last season. I understand the excitement for what he could potentially bring to the table with a better QB and different circumstances here at SU. But...we still need to see it on the field before projecting him among the reception leaders, IMO. Not saying he can't.

Any list that doesn't have a healthy OG at the top - a guy who has already proven that he can do it at this level - is too subjective, IMO.

I would be very surprised if two summer enrollee freshman were competing with the guy who was our #2 receiver coming out of camp last season.
Confused? #2 in what way? Wouldn't OG and Alford have been our top two receivers out of camp? I don't disagree that if healthy Pena should beat out two frosh, but we haven't seen Pena healthy pretty much ever.

Confused? #2 in what way? Wouldn't OG and Alford have been our top two receivers out of camp? I don't disagree that if healthy Pena should beat out two frosh, but we haven't seen Pena healthy pretty much ever.
According to Emily Leiker the previous staff thought Peña was the 2nd best receiver behind OG last year. Then they both got hurt.

There is no doubt that OG takes the #1 spot here. Where he plays is a bit of a mystery but I too think he moves around a bit. For one to take advantage of matchups and also to try to make it harder for opponents to game plan shutting him down. After that I go with Zeed. From statements made on this board about people with connections and the ability to watch practices it seems like he was the man in spring ball in regards to athletic ability, creating separation, and top end speed. Seems like he just stands out from the rest in his ability to get open and make defenders look silly.

I think player and staff interview responses is the info where I put the most stock in in. In a McCord interview regarding players standing out I remember McCord stated something to the effect of we all know OG is going to be great but then after that he said Zeed is an absolute dawg. Then in order i think he stated Meeks as a dog and Pena as a dawg. Also brought up Villari. But In a separate other interview linked below which I hadn't heard yet, McCord mentioned Zeed first in the WR group and OG after that.

mccord interview syracuse WR dawgs - Google Search

Now at the time of either of these interviews Justus Ross Simmons hadn't arrived yet. So the question is where does he get slotted in. I still think Zeed will be number two. It seems he has built a very nice repour with McCord throughout camp and they seem to be very comfortable with each other. Meeks is coming off a tweaked ankle but didn't sound really serious and I believe it seemed like he should be better by about this time. JRS hasn't practiced with SU yet so that could slow his production a bit but he had over 700 receiving yds last year as a true Sophomore at Col St. Come the fall I'd be surprised if he isn't slotted ahead of Meeks in the pecking order with two years to play. Meeks hasn't produced much at all in his career although all of that being at UGA where he has had a lot of talent to compete with. But Meeks will certainly still get some run as we know Fran really respects him and the effort he brings.

I think Pena will produce well this year if he stays healthy. He hasn't been able to do that completely in his 4 years here. Still has 2 years of eligibility to play though. He looked excellent in the spring game. Even last summer, in interviews the coaches spoke very highly of what he was doing but then Pena's injury hit and we didn't get to see anything. That could end up being a blessing for him if he can stay healthy these next two years as he wasn't going to produce too much last year anyway with Shrader's arm what it was and the offense we ran much of last year.

If OG plays significant snaps in the slot how many does Pena get? Do we play a significant number of snaps with 4 WR's and no true TE at all to get Pena out there more? Or do we just shift OG out wide in those situations. OG has gotten a bit stronger and bigger this offseason but not sure we stick him as an in line TE at all.

It seems like Gill was slotted ahead of Hatcher in spring game considering who was playing with the first and second team. He caught 7 balls for 60 yds and a TD as a true frosh last year, not bad. Gill still has 3 more years to play and has very good speed and an excellent vert and good hands. If he keeps getting stronger this kid could very well surprise a lot of people. But I like what Hatcher brings as well. Would be great if he added some additional strength in the offseason as well.

I do think Tremble has the ability to play and could produce but I don't see it happening unless injuries occur. I don't see the freshman adding much with what is ahead of them with experience. That is a good thing. There is an acclimation period required in regards to defenders speed and strength and just learning the play book without their head spinning. Even OG didn't do too much his freshman season.

I expect the RB's to catch a fair amount of balls as well as we know Laquint is very good at it and Yasin displayed solid receiving skills in the spring game. Villari is very good receiving option as well, especially if it is out of the traditional TE roll. Hopefully we can design some fun plays to get him some carries as well. We have so many good options it will be hard for some individual players to get gaudy stats but I expect a lot of passing yards for McCord. We don't really seem to have any stud O-linemen at this point but lots of good depth and options which should help a lot. Talentwise regarding receiving options I think we are in a better spot then any time in the past 20 years.

OG
Zeed
JSR
Pena
Laquint
Villari
Meeks
Gill
Hatcher

And great fun thread by the way. Love to see everyones projections.

Last edited:
JRS was 3rd leading receiver on that 5-7 Colorado St team last season. I understand the excitement for what he could potentially bring to the table with a better QB and different circumstances here at SU. But...we still need to see it on the field before projecting him among the reception leaders, IMO. Not saying he can't.

Any list that doesn't have a healthy OG at the top - a guy who has already proven that he can do it at this level - is too subjective, IMO.
Yeah that was my point. For fans to assume a new guy would immediately surpass OG must've mean he's the real deal. I know we tend to favor the new guys on here before they suit up, but OG doesn't deserve that level of doubt.

Was JRS that good at Colorado state? I haven’t checked him out yet.
I honestly am just going by the fan reaction on here to the JRS commitment. People were flipping their lid, so I assumed there must be something to it. I am unable to keep up with a lot of college football outside of Cuse and the playoffs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom