Is Syracuse A Destination Job? | Syracusefan.com

Is Syracuse A Destination Job?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
The blog argues that as a destination job we should do a National search. I beg to differ.
We do not pay enough to assure stability to a future coach that has no natural ties to Syracuse. A successful outsider is likely to move on to a higher paying job. On the other hand, our coach in waiting is a proven recruiter and he has a staff in place. Give him a chance. If he fails we can go outside, but as of now there is insufficient reason to go outside and risk the future stability of our program. Stability is an important competitive edge for a school like Cuse that underpays and offers neither Kentucky perks nor NCarolina/Duke sunshine.

We do not pay enough to assure stability to a future coach that has no natural ties to Syracuse. A successful outsider is likely to move on to a higher paying job.

I think this is what it comes downn to, but since JB doesn't want to go anywhere else, I'm not sure how much we could pay an outsider

After Hop has waited so patiently and remained loyal to SU, they better darn well let Hop take the reigns with no national search. That would be a punch in the gut to Hop. Hop has learned under JB for quite awhile, and will do a great job as HC. Plus, he has the respect of recruits and the recruiting gates will be wide open. This assumes JB ever retires.

With the fan support we have, the facilities we have, and the teams we'll be sharing a conference with; I'd say we're definitely a top tier job. And the reason Boeheim is underpaid is because he doesn't demand more money. If he demanded more money, then I'd bet SU would be willing to go in excess of 2mil.

With the fan support we have, the facilities we have, and the teams we'll be sharing a conference with; I'd say we're definitely a top tier job. And the reason Boeheim is underpaid is because he doesn't demand more money. If he demanded more money, then I'd bet SU would be willing to go in excess of 2mil.
we a private school. There is no guarantee that we would pay more.

Hop is the next syracuse coach. Period. end of story. It is in stone. There will be no national search.
What if Hop leaves?

We are a destination job. Right up there with the top tier. If we had to do a national search, then there would be a lot of interest around the country. That's a fact. But we are blessed to have Hop instead. We are very spoiled here at Syracuse. We are an elite school. Things are starting to change in the college landscape.

I sure hope Hop stays.

The only time lately a hall of fame coach has retired after forever is Dean Smith. I think Syracuse should be the same way. Chosen successor by hall of fame coach and then in the family next hire. I don't think an outsider ever coaches or should coach Syracuse.

The only time lately a hall of fame coach has retired after forever is Dean Smith. I think Syracuse should be the same way. Chosen successor by hall of fame coach and then in the family next hire. I don't think an outsider ever coaches or should coach Syracuse.

These may not be "after forever" but these are the HOF coaches who have retired since Dean Smith and their replacements:

Lute Olson: 1983-2003 -> replaced by assistant the eventually replaced by outside person whose name always comes up when a vacancy happens elsewhere

John Chaney: 1982-2006 -> replaced by alum

John Thompson 1972-1999 -> replaced by assistant then son (literally in the family).

Denny Crum 1971-2001 -> replaced by Rick Pitino (only direct outside the family hire of recent HOF retirees

Jim Calhoun 1986-2012 -> replaced by assistant and ex-player

UL is the only school that didn't try to keep it in the family though they were also somewhat lucky in getting a NC winning coach who was coming off a horrible NBA tenure who also had lived in Kentucky before. It would be somewhat shocking is Cuse didn't hire from within unless a guaranteed winner is available like Donovan (and I'm not sure he leaves UF for anywhere).

Smith announced his retirement fairly close to the start of a season - was Guthridge really the chosen successor or just the only possible choice? He lasted 3 years - one would hope that Hopkins would have a longer tenure.

And I hope that when Hop gets the job, JB rides off into the sunset (except as needed by the school) and doesn't muck around like Smith did. That's an untenable situation.

Hop is the next syracuse coach. Period. end of story. It is in stone. There will be no national search.
Why do people continue to struggle with this point?

Smith announced his retirement fairly close to the start of a season - was Guthridge really the chosen successor or just the only possible choice? He lasted 3 years - one would hope that Hopkins would have a longer tenure.

issue w guthridge is that he was about as old as smith. it would be like us plugging in bernie fine, if he didn't get fired. however, hop was named successor long before that. we just need to hope he sticks around long enough, and if not, he comes back when jb does step down.

Outsider's perspective on this, but when Jimmy retired, I was glad that his replacement was someone I was already comfortable with. That Ollie has proven to be a more-than-capable head coach obviously was critical, otherwise he wouldn't have lasted very long, but there's a reason Boeheim wants Hop to replace him; Hop knows the Syracuse system inside-and-out, he's a proven recruiter, and he views Syracuse as a top-tier job, so you won't be looking for a replacement in a couple of years. Letting the program slide into a guy's hands like that minimizes transitional damage.

Am I right (without looking it up) that age was a factor with Guthridge? With Hop being the appointed successor, I believe that with his age ...depending on his success rate...he will coach us for a long time.

This destination thing is all moot. JB's tenure isn't too long and then, presumably, Hop steps in. If Hop continues the success then there will be no job search for another 25 years (he'll retire after his 5th title, just so you know :))

Yes it is a destination job.

zone defense longer then any team out there. 30,000 fans msg's home team we draft athletic kids and give fans excitemement. we recruit extra-athletic kids to play basketball their whole life. If they don't quite make the nba they play overseas or in the d league and always bleed orange.They all come back.

In the middle of winter Syracuse basketball owns upstate NY. now playing in a tougher conference against unc and duke while still playing the old rivals. 5th winningest program of all time from a tough conference like the big east.
This really isn't debatable.

Yes, SU is a destination job. Yes, Hop will be the next coach. And hopefully he will avoid the legendary-coach jinx. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom