Is the 2 and done a new intentional strategy? | Syracusefan.com

Is the 2 and done a new intentional strategy?

Sgt Cuse

All Conference
Do you think JB talks or implies with recruits about the new SU trend of 2 and done? The recent successful departures of 2 and dones Dion and Fab could be setting the tone for more to come.

There seems like a good chance MCW is looking at the 2 and done route. And there has been discussion that Rak is considering it.

A strategy of good program guys, four year players, mixed with the 2 and done could give sustained success at this high level. Two and dones give more stability to the program than one and dones.

Do you think DC2 has talked about 2 and done. And that the plan/hope is to replenish with D Johnson in the 2 and done mold?

A 2 and done would generally be coming to us after UK takes the one and dones. So, we generally would have to wait a little. But getting a top 10 person for 2 years has a lot of advantages to just getting a one and done.

Do you think it is an intentional strategy now where JB looks to "Boeheim" fringe one and doners into 2 and doners?

Do you think JB talks or implies with recruits about the new SU trend of 2 and done? The recent successful departures of 2 and dones Dion and Fab could be setting the tone for more to come.

There seems like a good chance MCW is looking at the 2 and done route. And there has been discussion that Rak is considering it.

A strategy of good program guys, four year players, mixed with the 2 and done could give sustained success at this high level. Two and dones give more stability to the program than one and dones.

Do you think DC2 has talked about 2 and done. And that the plan/hope is to replenish with D Johnson in the 2 and done mold?

A 2 and done would generally be coming to us after UK takes the one and dones. So, we generally would have to wait a little. But getting a top 10 person for 2 years has a lot of advantages to just getting a one and done.

Do you think it is an intentional strategy now where JB looks to "Boeheim" fringe one and doners into 2 and doners?

Yes!

I have been thinking about it, and it seems that to have sustained excellence, it is ideal for guys to be contributors for two years. Whether they are super freshman and they have great freshman and sophomore years or they are program type players and they contribute their junior and senior years. If you can get two productive years out of each player and you have a 13 man roster, you are going to have sustained success.

Only if part of JB's strategy was to have Fab come in out of shape and Dion come in with a less than ideal attitude and work ethic.

I think it is important to show the McDonald's All Americans that you can get them to the league and get them there quickly. If the very high end kids are conceded to Kentucky because of their tactics, then you shoot for the kids ranked from 10-30. While still high school all americans, they are less likely to be one and done. If we show them that we can get them to the league after two years, we are more likely to get them. It is an interesting strategy. You make them no promises but if you have a model to show them, it makes it an easier sell. If MCW and Rak do it this year, that is two guards and two big men in two years, that is a quite a selling point.

Yes!
Then how about the follow up question. Do you think JB has an increased production schedule already designed for Rak?

Because if a big shows good improvement, it would present itself as a positive for Rak's draft position?

So, if JB gives Dirty lots of minutes early that actually helps Rak in the long run? If JB gives Rak steadily increased time, Raks stats should steadily increase, and it will look like Rak is improving by leaps and bounds. And this will appeal to NBA teams that covet a big who is improving.

Is Rak being "Boheimed" into the first round? Does the plan get aborted if we don't get Roberson or Vonleh?

Then how about the follow up question. Do you think JB has an increased production schedule already designed for Rak?

Because if a big shows good improvement, it would present itself as a positive for Rak's draft position?

So, if JB gives Dirty lots of minutes early that actually helps Rak in the long run? If JB gives Rak steadily increased time, Raks stats should steadily increase, and it will look like Rak is improving by leaps and bounds. And this will appeal to NBA teams that covet a big who is improving.

Is Rak being "Boheimed" into the first round? Does the plan get aborted if we don't get Roberson or Vonleh?
I think JB's strategy is to win games. I don't think he would play games and risk the win. He may tell Rak that he will be put in a position to succeed, and if he does his job the team will win and he will showcase himself for the NBA. But I cannot see JB playing any games, he wants to win every game and that is the bottom line.

People get Boheimed for not playing well period. I think the only way we get Roberson, Vonleh, Lawrence or Wiggins (wishful thinking I know) is if Rak or CJ go pro. That is why you hear about spring signings regarding those names. I do believe JB tries to help get guys to the league, quite frankly I think that is his job and winning games is the number 1 way of doing that. That is why there is talk of James playing the 2 some this year which I think is crazy but James himself said it so I believe it.

Only if part of JB's strategy was to have Fab come in out of shape and Dion come in with a less than ideal attitude and work ethic.
The dude is brilliant. On a serious note, Rak and Cooney are here b/c Dion and Fab were supposed to be one and done.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I don't know if its a strategy so much for 2 years but I think the staff is specifically getting very talented players who are maybe just off the radar UK as in just out of the top 10.

Good post. Personally, I think that for most elite players, 2 years of college is optimal. Too many one-year guys is disruptive, and it's only a small handful of players (5 or so per class), who are truly good enough that that's all the college ball they need to prepare themselves for the next step. Part of it is about maturity, and being able to handle the demands of being a professional. That's why I think 2 years is perfect for elite (McDonald's) level players.

Personally, despite him being called the best center in his class, I don't see Rak as a sure fire pro. He's too small to be an NBA center, and he doesn't have a jump shot.

Personally, despite him being called the best center in his class, I don't see Rak as a sure fire pro. He's too small to be an NBA center, and he doesn't have a jump shot.
I agree with you. And if Rak does go there is the possibility that he might leave as one of the least impactful players at SU that went on to the NBA. He could get drafted on his improvement, for his potential, and yet really just have been SU's third best forward this year -behind Dirty and CJ.

Kind of weird that when all is said and done this potential first round NBAer might have far less impact on wins and losses than, say CJ or BT. Rak's value may lie more in helping with our recruiting than anything on the court.

I agree with you. And if Rak does go there is the possibility that he might leave as one of the least impactful players at SU that went on to the NBA. He could get drafted on his improvement, for his potential, and yet really just have been SU's third best forward this year -behind Dirty and CJ.

Kind of weird that when all is said and done this potential first round NBAer might have far less impact on wins and losses than, say CJ or BT. Rak's value may lie more in helping with our recruiting than anything on the court.

I'm not sure about that defense and rebounding is very impactful on winning and losing and if doesn't do that he is not going anywhere.

I think Rak is going to make a big jump and have a great year. He's worked hard and gotten stronger in the offseason, and he's a talented and very athletic big man. I think he and DC are going to play off each other well.

The dude is brilliant. On a serious note, Rak and Cooney are here b/c Dion and Fab were supposed to be one and done.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
Rak maybe, Cooney absolutely not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom